Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2016, 06:28 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
It's all about experience, if you can drive in you can get out, you learn to be attentive, knowing what you are going to do once you turn into that street or parking lot, after a while it will come natural..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:32 PM   #22
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
If you are getting your AS from Can-Am, they will give you advice and backing practice.

Even with a small rig we've gotten trapped a few times. Sometimes even a beautiful and well-visited national park will have weird old gas stations in the gateway community that weren't designed for today's bigger RVs. Or the first gas station you see for miles around will be crammed with vehicles trying to pull up to the pumps from both directions.

One idea is just not to let your gas get so low that you have to take your chances, but keep your tank moderately full from those stations that you can see are easy to get in and out of.

Now that you have an AS you may be ready to skip restaurant meals and fix lunch in rest areas with easy pull-throughs for trucks and RVs. Or look for a truck stop with big pull through parking spaces.

We once got hemmed-in in a parking lot by a real jerk who obviously had no idea what is involved in moving a rig in a tight space. Fortunately he came back fairly soon, questioned our dismay, moved his vehicle slightly, and then gaped while we had to mount the curb to get around him. Moral of the story is, when you are parking parallel to a curb, leave sufficient space between you and the curb, and try to get the space just behind the cross street or parking lot exit, so that no one can park directly in front of you. I've even thought of bringing some official-looking traffic cones to place right in front of us.

And it's OK to ask someone more experienced for assistance. He'll feel like a hero, so you will have done your good deed for the day.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:42 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We have towed something for about 45 years. One time in 2013 to be exact while on a long trip and having just had our beloved seven year old dog pass on our trip I was not thinking and started to pull into a fuel station that I could not even get into much less drive out of. I was blocking one lane of traffic on a four lane, the fuel station as well as the gas station. My wife got out of the truck, went to the back to block traffic and make sure I did not back into cars parked on the other side of the road. Two other people who were stopped got out to help as well. All went smoothly and we proceeded on.

Lesson, I had a 26 gallon tank on our F250 Diesel. We now have an F350 Diesel and I installed a replacement aftermarket 50 gallon tank. Now I can select where we stop for fuel, I don't let us get into situations were we must stop. Never had an issue in parking lots as we only pull into big ones, ie Walmarts, grocery stores etc and always just swing around and park a long way from the stores entrance.

Hook up, and enjoy

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
It's gonna happen - it's inevitable. You don't always have time to pull over, check google maps, check it out in advance, or make a cup of coffee and think it over - or something isn't as it seemed. That's when you have the DW or DH, or amused bystanders, stop traffic for you or give you direction. Don't ask how I know. It's part of the adventure.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:55 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Naples , Florida
Welcome, Brawny...and congrats in getting your new baby. Think you will find the above comments highly useful.. I would add just one thought: I've luckily not yet misjudged a pull-thru fuel or food stop...but one time I did forget to do the mandatory wide swing when pulling in to align with the fuel pump. And once is all it takes! I pulled in at an angle that made it extremely dicey to back up and a guaranteed accident if I pulled forward. Happily, other vehicles were nice, and one sainted man really knew how to inch me with extreme care away from catastrophe. Moral: always swing out so you can pull through on the straight...and the longer your trailer, the more important. Safe streaming!
Barretta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:41 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
Gas

2 european style gas cans with fuel just in case.
Never tow without them. Ask how i learned that lesson!
moxie t. moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:47 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Never had a problem wit gas stations……YET

Think about how gas stations get gas. A big tractor trailer tanker drives in.
Yeah, they have hoses and don't need to get next to the pumps, but there is usually room.

I have more of a problem with other drivers that are in a hurry at gas stations, even when I am not towing. Lots of drivers don't relate to difficulties that people who are towing, have.

I can't count the times that a driver traveling from the other direction, cuts in front of me, so they don't have to wait for me to drive by. They don't seem to know that I need more real estate to stop.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:58 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Like others have said, if you can't see it, don't go there. We have been fortunate to not get in a no-win, no-luck, no turn-around situation, but it's only because we really scope the terrain before heading in. Starbucks is simple, park next door if there IS a next door. And, while I know your focus is the added length you will be towing, also remember to look up. It's 9'2" to the top of my A/C...know what yours is. And enjoy.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:17 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
With a longer trailer you also need to watch out for abrupt angle changes in roads, driveways and intersections. You can drag your tongue jack, high center or drag your end.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:38 PM   #30
yuppie cowboy

2012 30' Classic
Star , Idaho
Boxed in

The advise you are getting is all good. The longer the unit as the other member quoted was very true in that longer is easier to back then short. Fuel stops to avoid problems should be travel centers like truck stops. My background is trucking of manufactured homes for the past 45 years. Once you get used to the size you will do fine. My new drivers are at first a little intimidated at first by towing 16x80 loads, but after a short time it's all good. Best of luck to you my friend.

larrykling1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:15 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Don't hurry. Move slow and easy in any maneuver and trust what you see much more than GPS. Common sense. Don't over think it. You know what to do. Most of us enjoy the tow and you will too.
Dave
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:35 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
All of the above! First time out I got boxed in behind a doughnut shop....took me 10 minutes of juggling but I got out. Worst case I would have un-hooked and turned the TV and backed in to hook up on a more favorable angle. I made the decision from then on to park in a plaza or supermarket lot and walk 100 yards rather than try to get into a lunch stop that isn't set up for RVs. Still I have had to back up a quarter mile when I made a bad decision and ended up 'dead-ended'. So start practicing.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:43 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
We have an old saying in our family: If you can drive in, you can back out.

Develop your backing skills and you'll be fine.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:37 PM   #34
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
And alternatively, once you located that gas station with easy arrival and departure.... they probably sell drinkable coffee, have an attached Subway or its equivalent (Timmies in Ontario?) for sandwiches (driver fills up while passengers do a fast-food run) &c.

This saves the really fun backing stuff for getting into tight camping spots or out of questionable dirt roads into the boondocks.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:31 AM   #35
Yertle01.com

2006 22' International CCD
Estes Park , Colorado
Thanks for this thread. I'm learning a lot. I still consider myself a newbie after a year and a half of towing. This is an issue I think about a lot. My wife, my copilot, seems to think we can just pull in anywhere. Not so, sometimes I stop in the street and do a walkabout before pulling into someplace where I can't see an exit strategy. I figure it's better to tick off people in the street for a couple of minutes rather than people in a parking lot for 30 minutes.

"My two cents is worth every penny."
TRizzuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:55 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Classic
Moutain Center , California
My husband's advice:
Never pull into a place you haven't checked out how you're going to get out of.
If you find yourself having to go in or out of a steep driveway, go at a diagonal.
If the 18 wheelers can do it - you can!
If you have to park 2 blocks away and walk, do it!
CJ Winch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:09 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
We look at Google Earth to scope out restaurant parking when traveling.It is a big help.Learning the art of backing a trailer will help you in all areas of traveling with a Airstream.It is a must!
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:11 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
London , Ontario
Some really great suggestions here! We haven't picked a TV yet, so possibly larger tanks if we get a pickup are a good idea. Same with the front receiver. Not to start a TV war, but we're initially looking at a Caravan or Town & Country, and making use of Andy's expertise in weight distribution. That will let us keep the cost down while we're new, and once we start to roam further afield, we'll consider a more powerful TV.

I'm definitely going to need to practice being slow and methodical when maneuvering. Being Canadian, I'm hard-wired to not want to inconvenience others through my actions. Stopping and looking around when necessary is a great idea. I'll just have to overcome my 'Canadian-ness'.

I'm sure I'll be fine once I get a few miles and trips under my belt. Our plan for this year is to spend most of our time at local provincial parks in Ontario and get used to our new baby, and stay on roads that we're familiar with. Once we've had a few shakedown trips, we'll consider venturing further afield. We absolutely love the US state parks we've been too. There are more than I can name in both Michigan and upstate New York that are absolutely fantastic places to stay.

I really appreciate hearing everyone's advice. These forums are great - there's such a great variety of experiences out there - and everyone is so willing to share!

Brawny
Brawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:12 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawny View Post
. . .
Not to start a TV war . . .
. . .
Too late! (with the mention of those possible tow vehicles)

Way too small for a 30' Classic IMO.

Good luck!

Over and out.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:42 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
My kids always complain we don't go through the drive through.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote