Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2015, 11:18 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Boston area suggestions?

This summer I need to be in Boston for a week. I sure would love to do the trip Airstreaming with my wife! I've got a conference at MIT.

I've checked out the nearest listed campgounds like Winter Park, but they are still over an hour away.

Anybody have creative ideas on where I might be able to sneak in? I don't really need trees and flowers, just a place to squat hopefully with power.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:28 AM   #2
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
How about Wompatuck State Park? Its a small but wooded campground, some sites with hook-up, about 15miles as the crow flies into the city but more importantly is in the town of Hingham (personal plug as I live there) which has very good commuter services into Boston.....one of which is the commuter boat service I use; 25-30mins into the city.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:46 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Wendell , Massachusetts
Camping near Boston

It's hard to find something really close to Boston but you might look at Cape Ann Campsites in Gloucester. You'll need to drive to everything but the lower campsites overlook a marsh....upper sites might be a bit hard to get into if you have anything over 22' and they are wooded sites. Gloucester is a very close drive and there is good shopping and an awesome fish market (Steve Connolly). Also a nice place to visit is Halibut Point SP.
Also, Winter Island is a nice campground.....close sites but lots of places to walk too and Salem is only about a 20 minute walk.
Good luck
suzieleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

There's a commuter boat near Winter Island that takes you right to Boston - drops you off in Faneuil Hall area. You can walk to much of downtown Boston from there. Another suggestion would be Minuteman campground
out near or in Acton. As a former Bostonian my choice hands down for commute and scenery ( particularly in the summer) would be Winter Island.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #5
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
For me the boat commute is a 'no brainer'.....I get it everyday. The boat from the south shore weaves through the islands that make up the Boston Harbor State park. The boat from the north shore is much less scenic (other than views of the south shore!) but as the boat costs $8:50 each way, with guaranteed no traffic jams (the same journey by car takes anywhere from 45-120mins) and with parking in Boston costing $40-50 a day anyone that drives into Boston is crazy in my book....
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:05 AM   #6
It's Porsh-Ah

Boston , Massachusetts
Check on craigslist boston for rv parking, there is an add for 24/7 rv parking in Cambridge/fresh pond which is about 15 mins from mit, not sure how nice parking would be, but thats right off of memorial drive which takes you right by MIT. Fresh pond and that area are a mixed Comercial residential area. Not bad at all, and there's also a red line stop (alewife) that shoots you directly to mit and downtown. It's across the river from the Brighton neighborhood of Boston that I live in. It may be just the ticket for you. Actually I see a lot of kids just roll up in clapped out winnebagos during the summer and park in front of a buddy's house in allston until they get yelled at, sort of something you get used to with all the college kids around.