Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 08:35 PM   #881
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Here we sit in Atwater CA. The last two weeks have been cold, windy and raining.The weather forecast is for rain the next 7 days No heat in the hanger,No TV you can not even get PBS unless you have satellite (no cable TV here) and with this weather you can not count on it.No internet with out your phone for a hot spot. You get your mail in a group mail box 1/2 mile away,take your out going mail to the Post Office or the one drop box at City Hall.
So much for sunny CA.and it high tech way of life.Now I remember why I left CA when I turned 18.
Sure thinking of go back to AZ.Where we have cable TV,Wi-Fi in the house, mail delivered and pick up from the mail box in front of the house
Sorry I am not a happy camper right now.I can not sit outside so I guess I have cabin fever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0631.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	278393  
Old 01-19-2017, 08:45 AM   #882
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
So sorry to hear, sounds like you do have capsule fever. Hang in there and hopefully after this storm you'll get a break.

AZ weather hadn't been to good either. We've had a good end and beginning of this year in terms of rain. Sounds like more residual rain coming from your storm this weekend.

Even Picacho new year was a little damp and you could tell it was affecting folks. Wasn't that bad but those used to being outside the whole time we're hampered a bit.

Sunny skies are coming.......

Hittenstiehl
Old 01-24-2017, 06:03 PM   #883
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
At last the weatherman said no rain for a few days. Hope he is right.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bikers bar.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	278718  
Old 01-27-2017, 05:13 PM   #884
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Did you know that the US Government and some states if not all requires that that your outside mirrors have to be wider than your trailer if your trailer is wide than your TV.
In other words from the inside of your LF outside mirror to the inside of your RT outside mirror has to be 96 inches for an 8 ft wide trailer and 102 inches for the newer 8 ft 6 inch trailers.
There is a town in AZ that will teach you this for BIG $$$. They get up behind you at about 200 ft or so turn on the red lights and when you don't stop they pass you then pull you over.They then ask why you did not stop.When you say you did not see them they will check your mirrors for width if not out as wide as law requires you get a thicket,and the town has made money.
Since many new TV do not have pull out mirrors with their tow package be ware.
The town gets lots of RV traffic in the summer so I guess they have found a new way to say welcome to their tourist town.

Does anyone know what this black ops helicopter did to help Henry Kissinger.Stay tuned will be right back after a short brake.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AAM black-helicopter-.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	278824   Click image for larger version

Name:	AAM black helicopter.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	278825  

Name:	AAM_black-helicopter.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	278826  
Old 01-27-2017, 05:25 PM   #885
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Where back

Where back
GO here to this web site find out about the black ops helicopter

http://www.airspacemag.com/military-...pter-24960500/
Old 02-04-2017, 07:40 PM   #886
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
HAPPY SUPPER BOWL to all.
I do not have a team in this dog fight so do not care who wins.
Any one know or remember this old aircraft from WW ll.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C46Airfield.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	279212  
Old 02-05-2017, 01:52 AM   #887
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Curtis Condor III (C-46) later called the Curtis Commando?

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 02-05-2017, 09:23 PM   #888
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Curtis Condor III (C-46) later called the Curtis Commando?
Yep just another aircraft from my hay day when I was a lot younger
Old 02-05-2017, 09:28 PM   #889
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
A sad way for a Squarestream to end it,s life.
Glad it IS NOT mine.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2017, 06:04 PM   #890
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Still boondocking under the pepper tree.The rain has ende and the sun is out. Weatherman said we are good till next Thur.
Hope the grass is dry Sunday so I can cut it.
1953 photos of me in the Air Force and the start of my life as an Aircraft Mechanic 64 years ago and still at it. Guess I just do not know when to give it up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	boondockingunderpeppertree002.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	498.0 KB
ID:	279641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Me in basic training (2).jpg
Views:	104
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	279642  

Name:	B-47 1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	279643  
Old 02-12-2017, 07:25 AM   #891
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
My father's high school buddy (Class of 1931) who by then was an airline pilot found himself flying the C-46 into China during WWII. He had some real hair raising stories of being jumped by the Japanese Zeros and they would both fly into the clouds. The ultimate game of "chicken".

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 02-18-2017, 12:13 PM   #892
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
WIND,WIND,RAIN,RAIN,FLOOD,FLOOD.Go away poor old CA can not plan right for anything.
Photo of limb that wind blow of of pepper tree missed the trailer.We had study winds at 30 MPH gusts to 40 MPR. The sun is out now and should last till Sunday night.
I am sure that all of you have seen it on the "NEWS".
On the better side here are 2 photos from my past life when I worked for American Airlines at Ammon Carter Field in Fort Worth TX in 1957/1958.It was just south of what is now DFW. Note how nice the terminal was and the number of people. the aircraft are American Airlines CV-240 and DC-6 and Delta Airlines CV-340.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wind CA.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	485.1 KB
ID:	280030   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ammon Carter Terminal (2).jpg
Views:	103
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	280031  

Name:	Ammon Carter (2).jpg
Views:	115
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	280032  
Old 02-26-2017, 09:41 AM   #893
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Well the sun as been out the last few days with temp in the upper 50's.Not the best BUT it is nice to get a brake from the rain. They (The weather persons)say that it will be nice for a few day's. Soon it will be time to get the Airstream out and go camping. OH I am camping.
It is interesting to note that the work I am doing right now is from the old day's of the 1950s and that how little info is out there on the subject that I sure would like input from the old hands.You can find lots of info on old Aistreams on the web,BUT no real tech info on tube type synchrophaser for C-130s. I am told the old hand have passed ,that I get, but with the internet why no info there? I am 82 and I thought I was one of the old hands but I guess I am not. You would think in this "high tech world" I could find info I could use.Now understand how things are lost to history.
Photos are of the the old on the left and new on the right meeting at Love Field Dallas about 1959 when I worked there till 1963 for American Airlines
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Love field Dallas TX (2).jpg
Views:	93
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	280514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Love Feild Dallas TX1 (2).jpg
Views:	93
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	280515  

Old 02-27-2017, 05:16 PM   #894
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
DID I ever tell you I HATE so called high tech California. If I was not here working for friend because they can not hire anyone to work in this for skein place. I would be home in Mesa AZ or in Quarzsite AZ. I have been trying to use the Internet both on my so called WI Fi spot and also my 4G Verizon phone as a hot spot to get on the airforums. One does not work and the Verizon is slower than a dial up at home. Slim to no over the air TV,No cable TV is even installed here and I do Not have a satellite.
Tell me why anyone would want to live in this poor town of Atwater CA that is like the State Over taxed,over priced.
Like I have said before I was born here and left CA when I turned 18 in 1953 because it was a grazy state then just like now.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:01 PM   #895
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Just spent 10 day at home doing my DR work.
Dr said I am in good shape so much so that there was nothing he could do for me. He will see me in one year.So I am now back at work and back in my Squarestream
Photos of me working as civilian contractor QC Rep to the US Army, 1st Cav, An Khe, Vietnam in 1967.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Me at An Khe RVN (2).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	281787   Click image for larger version

Name:	UH1 (2).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	281788  

Old 03-22-2017, 08:56 PM   #896
3 Rivet Member

I'll be thinking of you next week. We'll be visiting the Air Museum in Pensacola with my father, a veteran of WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. Walking around airplanes with him is a lesson in history. I saw your photo from mechanics school. He started in Chicago at Navy Pier in mechanics school, a brutal period/place, sometime became an electrician... He spent most of his career as a flight engineer and the stories are incredible. I grew up (for the most part) just outside Mainside in Pensacola, bike riding thru the base and climbing around closed portions of the forts. One of the neatest places for us was scavenging around the base dump. Old cockpits, plane parts... a kids dream come true! We were stationed in CA for 3 years. Nice place but I couldn't wait to get back to Florida. Much different. Thanks for your posts. I always enjoy hearing from you.
RIchard
Old 03-23-2017, 06:02 PM   #897
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrmyWeather View Post
I'll be thinking of you next week. We'll be visiting the Air Museum in Pensacola with my father, a veteran of WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. Walking around airplanes with him is a lesson in history. I saw your photo from mechanics school. He started in Chicago at Navy Pier in mechanics school, a brutal period/place, sometime became an electrician... He spent most of his career as a flight engineer and the stories are incredible. I grew up (for the most part) just outside Mainside in Pensacola, bike riding thru the base and climbing around closed portions of the forts. One of the neatest places for us was scavenging around the base dump. Old cockpits, plane parts... a kids dream come true! We were stationed in CA for 3 years. Nice place but I couldn't wait to get back to Florida. Much different. Thanks for your posts. I always enjoy hearing from you.
RIchard
Pls look here. https://www.linkedin.com/profile/pre...primary-button
Your father what aircraft was he FE on. I was FE a very short time on DC-6/DC-7's.To me that was the slow lane in life so I moved on to things I liked better. More in the fast lane. look at me in linkedin.com.
Hold your taters till your gravy cools.
Old west saying meant not to take any action when mad.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:51 PM   #898
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini View Post
Pls look here. https://www.linkedin.com/profile/pre...primary-button
Your father what aircraft was he FE on. I was FE a very short time on DC-6/DC-7's.To me that was the slow lane in life so I moved on to things I liked better. More in the fast lane. look at me in linkedin.com.
Hold your taters till your gravy cools.
Old west saying meant not to take any action when mad.
I don't always remember details, but Dad flew (not pilot) in both helicopters and fixed wing. They were the H03S, Kaman Sea Sprite, Hup H17, Super Constellation R7 V (had a radome top and bottom), PB4Y-1 and -2. I think those are right.

He was a rear tail gunner in the Liberator, flight engineer in the Super Connie, and in the helicopter. Mostly rescue for land and sea in the helicopters, as well as flight ops support. That was in Japan, Korea and Vietnam, and training. The Liberator flights were anti subs from North Africa and England. The Super Connie flights as FE were out of Midway (stationed in Hawaii), and covered much of the area between there, Aleutian Islands and Russia. The stories are endless and makes one appreciate that his generation is probably the greatest ever.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:58 PM   #899
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrmyWeather View Post
I don't always remember details, but Dad flew (not pilot) in both helicopters and fixed wing. They were the H03S, Kaman Sea Sprite, Hup H17, Super Constellation R7 V (had a radome top and bottom), PB4Y-1 and -2. I think those are right.

He was a rear tail gunner in the Liberator, flight engineer in the Super Connie, and in the helicopter. Mostly rescue for land and sea in the helicopters, as well as flight ops support. That was in Japan, Korea and Vietnam, and training. The Liberator flights were anti subs from North Africa and England. The Super Connie flights as FE were out of Midway (stationed in Hawaii), and covered much of the area between there, Aleutian Islands and Russia. The stories are endless and makes one appreciate that his generation is probably the greatest ever.
Here is PB4Y2 that I worked on a few years back.
Sorry I cant get it right side up it is ok in file but when uploaded it turns side ways.
I am 82, sound like he is a few years older than I am.Sound like he has had a good life,I know I have.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PB4Y2 Tanker 30.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	282211  
Old 03-30-2017, 07:48 PM   #900
3 Rivet Member

Sorry for slow reply but we're camping and have little wifi access. He flew in the PB4Y1 Liberator. Your photo came out great and I'll try to show it to him when I get back. He can't see to well now but, while at the museum, he could feel the engine and explain the parts and what he did with them. He can do more blind than I'll ever try to learn. They have a 'cut in two' engine and he told us of the time he was called to work on a helo that had to landed in the salt flats south of San Diego bay. He explained how the piston connectors worked, how he disconnected them ( I think they blew a piston ) stuffed his flight jacket into the hole and,though they were supposed to just get the helo to the high ground, he and the pilot thought they could make the field at imperial beach, so they flew across the small town and landed, much to the chagrin of the maintenance officer. He laughed. He figured the pilot got chewed for that one, but that's the kind of thing that could be done then. A good life? He would say the best! Oh, he's got 10 years on you: he's 92. Walking thru the museum with him was great and a real learning experience.
Closed Thread