Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #501
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Move that damn thing outta the street and into a camp...it's NOT a street machine. Still have 4 hold-outs in Q, but most of us(ok, ok, ALL of us) will be gone within the week...no one headed west, but the other three directions are covered...shrimp Alfredo on angel hair pasta tomorrow night...will twirl the fork for you who are missing...
If it ain't rainin' and the saddle's wet, the ride was good, or you have a problem...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
Old 03-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #502
3 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Livingston , Texas
The rig looks good but out of place. Talked to Tony, he will be here Wed.. Weather looks like it is going to get hot. We plan on staying here till April 6t but if its too hot we will be someplace on the RIM. Cholla is almost empty and it's really quiet, thats good. Take care, tell Minn hi. Mike and Sheri
Old 03-29-2011, 02:33 AM   #503
2 Rivet Member

1984 29' Sovereign
Bancroft , Ontario
OK, Cowboy;

Time to saddle up and ride. There's a spot out on the "RIM" waiting for you. Enjoy the camp-fires, the happy-hours and the sunsets. We'll be thinking of you on our ride home.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #504
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Ready

Well we are ready to get going.I hope by this time next week we will be on the move and heading for the pines.It was 100F here in Mesa AZ yesterday.
MAY YOUR BELLY NEVER GRUMBLE,MAY YOUR HART NEVER ACHE,MAY YOUR HORSE NEVER STUMBLE,MAY YOUR CINCH NEVER BRAKE.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #505
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Spring

Well Spring has sprung in Mesa AZ.The Blum's will only last a few days but sure look nice.
Temp. today around 86F and tomorrow about 85F does not get any better than that.
NO BODY EVER DROWNED IN SWEAT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00360.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	684.5 KB
ID:	126049   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00361.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	672.4 KB
ID:	126050  

Old 04-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #506
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
No charge, no help...

I may never drown in sweat, but I'm doing my best to try here in the lonely Q...dead coach battery this am, so instant coffee...one of those jump the battery to start the generator so I can plug in the battery charger...called Good Sam...just try to tell an operator that yer in the middle of a very large desert...she wanted a site # or an address!!! Trying to tell her that entering the north side, which is called La Posa West, was the easiest way to find us...got the damn thing started while I was on hold...
Old 04-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #507
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Roosevelt Lake

Well I am now at Roosevelt Lake Recreation Area AZ.I am the last from the BIG Q to get here as Tony and Mike got here a few weeks ago and some others have come and gone.We now have the three Musketeers from the BIG Q here.( Photo 3 & 4 )
Here is a little info about the Dam taken from Bureau of Reclamation.( Photo 1 & 2 ) In much of the American West 19th century settlers encountered scarce water supplies.they tended to farm near rivers for easy access to the valuable resouce of water.President Theodore Roosevelt realized that harnessing water was the key to supporting Western grouth.In 1902 the Reclamation Act was passed.So in the Tonto Basin of Arizona Territory in 1903 they started the Tonto Basin Dam that was later renamed Theodore Roosevelt Dam.At the time it was highest cyclopean-masonry gravity arch dam in the world and among the last of the stone masonry dams built.
In 1984 under the Safty of dams program engineers determined that probable maximum flood was far greater than previously projected and that a probable maximum flood would bring more water into the reservoir than the original dam was designed to safely release.
On 19th of January 1993,continued storms caused the reservoir to rise to a record high in its history and the lake over-topped the left abutment and continued to do so for nearly two days.
I remember back then all the talk about what would happen to the Phoenix area if the dam failed
The modifications where completed in April 1996 raising the dam 77 feet.
IF IT DOESN'T SEEM TO BE WORTH THE EFFORT IT PROBABLY ISN'T.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RD 1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	126710   Click image for larger version

Name:	rd2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	126711  

Attached Images

Old 04-13-2011, 11:12 AM   #508
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Rim

Well right now it looks like the 3 of us here at Roosevelt Lake will head off to Canyon Point campground upon the Rim near Forest Lakes AZ this Friday.This is the campground that the host meet at before going to their own campgrounds.We will stay there till we can get our campgrounds open.
The weather here at Roosevelt Lake is now in the lower to mid 80s and up there on the Rim the snow should be gone and the temps in the upper 60s in the day and upper 30s at night.
We all seem to want to get the summer started,BUT at my age I wounder why such a rush.To run the fast race of life is to only realy loose in the end.
Photos are of 2 of the camp sites at Canyon Point Campground.
THERE'S ALWAYS MAVERICKS WHO CANT RIDE A STRAIGHT TRAIL AND THE LAW NEEDS SOMEBODY TO RIDE HEARD ON THEM.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2011, 07:52 AM   #509
3 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Livingston , Texas
We are at Canyon Point campground. Jimmie is right next to us and Tony is just behind us. Jimmie and Sheri and I will be going to our campground's to open up on Tuesday morning. It lookes like Sheri and I won't have cell phone service at Spillway campground. We will have to drive up the hill so posts and info will be slow. Jimmie just purchased a new Verizon myfi so we will see. Its beautiful here now and stayed in the 40s last night. We miss everybody, see you this summer.....
Old 04-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #510
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
parked and waiting...

Stuck in Tucson for two more weeks...follow-up biopsy(OUCH) on the 29th, then go from there...supposed to hit 94 today...early mornings and evenings are great...still have snow in Silverton, so hurrying back won't happen(never did)...higher country would be nice, though...wish we were with you rim folks...m
Old 04-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #511
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Here

Well we are here.HERE being Canyon Point Campground.This is where the host stay untill they can get into the other campground that they host.This place kind of spoils us since we have electric hook ups here.It is hard to get the solar to work here with all the pine trees.
PLAN A:Is the Forest Sevice is (ARE) going to check the roads going into Mogollon Campground and others tomorrow (Monday) if they are dry enough so that driving on them doesnt mess them up they will let us in on Tuesday to get the campgrounds ready to open on Friday the 22nd of April.I am ready.
The weather sure is nice in the upper 60s in the day and about 40 at night.
If you click on photo and make it bigger, we are on the left(We are Republicans), Mike is on the right (he is a Democrat) and you can see Tony way in the back behind my truck and trailer.Next time we will park on the right here we belong.
WHEN YOU GET OLD AND ARE LOOKING AT THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL,LET LOOSE OF THE REINS AND HE'LL LEAD YA HOME.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	canyon point.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	609.2 KB
ID:	127194  
Old 04-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #512
2 Rivet Member

1984 29' Sovereign
Bancroft , Ontario
Hi Jimmy;

Looks sweeeet!! We are home in Bancroft, snow, freezing rain and ready to head south again if things don't warm up sooooon.

Keep an eye on Mike and Tony. Don't want those boys getting into trouble without us there.

Keep posting those pictures.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #513
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via MSN to JulianneJ
Can't wait to get up there and see y'all!

2003 International CCD
Old 04-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #514
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Looks great. Can't wait to get up there and so some serious camping.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
Old 04-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #515
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Ready

Well this is the 3rd time to try to post.Verizion must be on the edge.
We are here now at Mogollon Campgrount.Got here bright and early Tuesday and spent the day setting up our nest for the summer.Worked 4 hr on Wednesday getting the campsites ready and finished them off today in about 2 hrs.We will open the gates in the morning so the folks that want to get out of the heat in the valley of the sun can come see us in the pines.
For all you nice folks that follow this old tumbleweed we will be posting every few days and since this was the wiled west they sometimes hanged the wrong men,had range wars,and a few fights with the Indans along the rim and in the Tonto basin so we will give you some of stories of this area of the Arizona Territory.
IT AIN'T WORTH FUSSING ABOUT UNLESS THE BONE IS SHOWING OR YOU AIN'T GOT NO FEELING IN IT.EVEN THEN YOU SHOULD COWBOY UP AND WALK IT OFF.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:37 AM   #516
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via MSN to JulianneJ
Good luck with your MiFi card Jim. Mine stopped working after just a couple months, went to Verizon earlier this week, they sent me a new battery but that didn't help so back to the store I go.

2003 International CCD
Old 04-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #517
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Started

Off and running. Today we opened the gates and now have 3 tent campers here tonight.
Here is a story I saw today in an old Mogollon Rim book.
"The community of Chistopher Creek located 25 miles northeast of Payson below the rim on highway 260 was named in honor of an early French settler Isador Christopher....He lived here with his mailorder bride,Mary.In July 1882,Christopher had killed a bear,skinned it,and hung the skinned bear in one of his cabins.While he was out hunting the next day,Apaches came and burned two of his buildings.While these building were still smoldering,U.S. Army troops came along.They found these animal remains and thinking the indians had killed Christopher the troops gave the bear a solemn funeral and burial"
LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG IS A WHOLE LOT EASIER THAN PUTTIN IT BACK.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #518
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Glad to hear yer tucked in...gotta be cooler than Tucson, and WAY less traffic...went to Sam's today to enjoy the ac...m
Old 04-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #519
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Weekend

Well it was a hard weekend,we had 3 tent camper on Friday,and No one Saturday or Sunday.The weather has been a bit windy around 20 MPH and the temp only in the 50s.The campground is at 7615 feet
One of the striking geologie features in Arizona (After the Grand Canyon) is the Mogollon Rim.This steep escarpment is measured in thousands of feet and hundreds of miles.It begins just across the border in New Mexico U.S.A and stretches diagonally two thirds of the way northwest across Arizona.The Mogollon Campground is about 1/4 mile from the rim.
THE QUICKEST WAY TO DOUBLE YOUR MONEY IS TO FOLD IT OVER AND PUT IT BACK INTO YOUR POCKET.AND SAFER.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2011, 03:54 AM   #520
2 Rivet Member

1984 29' Sovereign
Bancroft , Ontario
Hi Jimmini;

I enjoy reading you historical and geological information you share. Keep posting and we will keep reading. Have a great summer. We have 4 days of rain coming up and temperatures in the low 60s. The loons are back so summer can't be far away.
Closed Thread