Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2018, 06:18 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Peterborough , Ontario
Boondocking rookie

Hi we are new to airstream and we will be travelling from Ontario to Florida Panhandle November 2018 and are looking for suggestions of overnight parking on I 75 route. We are wondering how many stay in their airstream over night
Do you suggest a truck stop, rest area, Walmart etc...28 ft Excella 1000 1996
Thank you
Canoeguy1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:36 AM   #2
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I first looked at your thread hoping to exchange boondocking ideas for remote camping locations - quiet, scenic, off-the-beaten-path types of places.

If you're looking for quick overnight spots along I-75 we suggest Cracker Barrel. They close around 10PM. So except for distant road noise there is very little traffic in the parking lot. We always call ahead to see if it's okay to stay overnight. Only one Cracker Barrel we contacted has said no and that was due to local ordinances. We've stayed at dozens of Cracker Barrel locations in a wide variety of locations. We have encountered the 4 AM dumpster removal and that can be a little disruptive.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:41 AM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We have never tried Cracker Barrel but hear positive things from those that do. We have done a lot of Walmarts and other than some early morning noise from vacume cleaners all have been good. We even stayed at a Camping World once and they gave us electric. Cabela's has also been a good choice. Lots of options. Have a good trip

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
+1 on Cracker Barrel. So far I've encountered only one that had no RV parking, and that was somewhere between Philadelphia and New York... IIRC, Hamilton Township. (It was an unscheduled stop, so I don't remember clearly.) The issue there was not that local ordinances prohibited it. The parking lot was just too small. Which was no issue for me, in a van - I stayed anyway and had no trouble from anyone.

I prefer Cabela's over Cracker Barrel but Cabela's are few and far between. Some Cabela's stores even have courtesy dump stations.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
We have stayed in rest areas with no problems. You need to stay with the truckers though and sometimes it can get crowded or a bit noisy with their diesels idling. Very convenient though.

Enjoy your trip.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote