Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2015, 03:50 PM   #1361
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Goose View Post

For a good lobster roll, I think Red's is hard to beat.

They've been in business at the same location for as long as I can remember and that goes back to the late 50’s for me.

They are located in Wiscasset.

Coming south on Rt 1, it will be on your right just after crossing the Sheepscot River. It's a walk up window to order with a few picnic tables nearby. The street in front of it is pretty narrow, so plan on driving past and

look for a place to park

a few blocks away and walk back. I don't think you will be disappointed. The last time I was through there they were redoing the bridge, but I don't think it bypasses the town yet. That bridge has been a bottleneck as the tourist traffic has skyrocketed over the years.

As for lobster dinners, the best places are right on the water, where you order at the window then carry your tray to a picnic table on the docks.

Promising locations are Rockport, Boothbay Harbor and Bailey Island,

but most port towns sprout a shack or two and none are bad. Prices will vary widely. The 1.25 to 1.5 lb lobsters are often the sweetest. If you like the tail meat, they often offer a deal on a pair of lobsters that are each missing a claw, that way you get 2 tails and 2 claws. I've got a list of lobster shacks. If you want, pm me and I'll email a copy.
Hi, Thank You so much for this information; Out of all of the locations that you mentioned, we only found Red's. Lee stood in line for about one hour and ordered two Lobster Rolls. They were the best Lobsters that I have ever had. While waiting, Dusty was walking in circles until his tongue was hanging out. I told Lee to meet us at the trailer which was conveniently parked about a quarter mile up the street, in the dirt, next to train tracks.

(1.) Red's Eats.

(2.) Wisscasset, is the place.

(3.) Best Lobster Roll ever.

(4.) That little dot at the end of the street is my truck and trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09905RS.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	246419   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09908RS.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	246420  

Name:	DSC09910RS.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	246421   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09903RS.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	246422  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:59 PM   #1362
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, here is my truck and trailer at full zoom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC09904RS.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	246423  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-26-2015, 04:04 PM   #1363
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
8-25-2015.

Hi, besides stopping for lobster, we crossed a neat and different bridge. We also stayed at a Wal-Mart last night. I asked, and they said it was OK, but to park way over there. We were the only RV there, making me think this might not be a good place to stay. By the end of the night, there were two pick-ups, two vans, and one mini motorhome there. So I guess it will be alright.

The Wal-mart was in Falmouth, Maine and since it was cool outside we could stay without air conditioning. We did a lot of driving around, but didn't see much, so we kept going. Hey, let's go to Boston and Salem. We located a campground in Salem, so we thought, and drove down some tiny streets. Where the camp ground was supposed to be there was a small mobile home park and it was a dead end. Good thing that I didn't try to drive in there. No place to turn around so we had no choice but to follow the road. At the end of the road was a State campground with zero spaces left, but at least we could turn around in there. We ended up in a forested campground in Littleton, Massachusetts. We got a nice space, but it was hard to get into. On the last try, I was inches away from a post, to get my truck past a tree on the other side of the road. Again, no damage, but it was very close.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC09899RS.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	246424   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09912RS.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	246425  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-28-2015, 12:38 AM   #1364
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I didn't bother to trim my perpetually shaggy beard to go into Canada and the border guy had a beard too. Last night I trimmed by beard to go back to the US with a device called "scissors"—no batteries and you don't need 120 v. either! No real problems except waiting and waiting—about an hour all told. Beards are very popular now, so I think you just must look dangerous.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:51 AM   #1365
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Gene; I still have my beard, of course, but I bought some electric clippers and trimmed it down to size. Lee said that I cut too much off, but it will grow back soon. Driving, not towing, in Boston is crazy. Nobody hit me, I just plow in like in L. A. While in Maine, I was talking to a girl in the laundry room and she said people from Massachusetts are the worst drivers and they call them Ma$$holes. One thing different that we noticed was that they like to make somewhat dangerous left turns right in front of you. The very first one was while I was towing and in the left lane. I was just getting going and this guy in a mini-van cut right in front of me and drove on the wrong side of the street for quite a ways to make his left turn. [over lapping intersection] Since then we encountered three more Ma$$holes. They do this often because we never hit, but they are close. Dusty went to the local Vet yesterday because the mosquitos got him and he has ear problems again. Got more meds for his little kit we carry for him.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-28-2015, 07:04 AM   #1366
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, driving in Massachusetts is challenging. In town it's like any big city; I relate to L.A. In the country it's like many other country roads. Where the difference is, you never know what lane to be in. At many intersections there are two lanes. You have to figure out which one is straight, left only, or right only. Trying to go straight and one time it's in the middle, the next one is on the right, and the next two might be on the left. There is very little warning until you get close to the signal and then have to barge in to the lane that you need. I signal and turn in the direction that I need to go and they either let me in or I force my way in.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-28-2015, 12:08 PM   #1367
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I didn't bother to trim my perpetually shaggy beard to go into Canada and the border guy had a beard too. Last night I trimmed by beard to go back to the US with a device called "scissors"—no batteries and you don't need 120 v. either! No real problems except waiting and waiting—about an hour all told. Beards are very popular now, so I think you just must look dangerous.

Gene
Not in my household. If I grew a beard, I would be without any of the benefits of marriage.

My experience during periods where shaving was not available (such as survival and POW training) was that I spent too much time scratching my beard. However, I did have a mustache during the 70s when it was mandatory. As soon as social regulations allowed. I got rid of it because I was annoyed by smelling my lunch all afternoon.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:23 PM   #1368
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Ken; Beards are itchy and bothersome until you actually grow one out. Each time you start, and never finish growing a beard, they are a pain. What I call the perpetual three day growth, is not a beard.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-28-2015, 08:51 PM   #1369
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I couldn't stand a full beard either.

This is much better.

Old 08-29-2015, 05:06 PM   #1370
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
Squatting in the Sturbridge Walmart tonight...wanna play CG tag again?

Al & Patty

Follow us at two bikes + an Airstream. http://Airgo.blogspot.com

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at https://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:07 PM   #1371
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobikes View Post
Squatting in the Sturbridge Walmart tonight...wanna play CG tag again?

Al & Patty

Follow us at two bikes + an Airstream. twobikes + an Airstream
Hi, we are at Bay View camp ground now. Trying to go to Martha's Vineyard. Off of Hwy 2. WIFI is bad again.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-29-2015, 11:49 PM   #1372
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob, wait until you get to NYC, especially Manhattan. Driving is a sport and high intensity. Last time I was there, 2008, I turned it back on for a week and had fun, but it was tiring by then I was glad to get out of town.

Gene

Old 08-30-2015, 08:07 PM   #1373
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, more reasons to be a bad driver in Massachusetts; Street signs. You are driving down a main highway and are looking for Jones street, for a left turn. When you get to where you think you are supposed to turn, the sign says Mary Ave. So you drive past Mary Ave. just to find out that you missed your turn. WHAT????? GPS said to turn, but the name of the street was wrong. Well here's the deal; Several, actually many, streets change names right at the main highway. Another common practice, is that there might be street signs for cross roads, but nothing confirming what street you are actually on. This is messed up.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:34 PM   #1374
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I am convinced street names in Brooklyn change every few blocks. Brooklyn is a mystery to me and last time I was there I didn't get lost too often, perhaps pure luck. You will enjoy Brooklyn driving too, but Manhattan is blood sport. I admit downtown Boston is all paved over cow paths with impossible parking. Last time I was there (1976), the subway seemed to have purchased the cars from the Toonerville Company. If you go to metro NYC, do not take the trailer on anything named a "parkway"—prohibited. Tunnels, no. GW Bridge is ok on one of the decks, but not the other. In fact, trailers don't do well in NYC and you'd have to find a CG outside and take a commuter line into the city. I understand there's one on the Hudson River in Jersey City or Hoboken and close to PATH trains (Hudson Tubes in my day), but the tunnels are in bad shape, trains take forever to get into Manhattan. The NYC area is not RV friendly. You could find a NJ CG fairly far away and then get a hotel room in the city.

I know I am making NYC sound impossible, but the city is an exciting place with world class museums, food, entertainment and architecture (the Empire State Building is the world's most beautiful skyscraper) and very interesting people. You have to walk a lot between subway stations (New Yorkers have strong legs) and I always avoid busses. I guess Uber is the way to go now, but the subway will take you almost everywhere. Oh, bring those thousands you were going to spend in Canada because you'll need it. Of course, you could go to Philadelphia instead, but don't tell anyone if you do.

Have you been to Faneuil Hall?—that is as much of part of the beginnings of the American Revolution as anything. You can imagine Sam Adams inciting the crowds from the stage. It is still there more than 200 years later. As a one time historian, it was the most exciting thing I saw in Boston. Yeh, Independence Hall in Philly is important too as where they wrote the Constitution, but Faneuil Hall is where it started.

Enjoy your driving.

Gene

Old 09-01-2015, 07:31 PM   #1375
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
9-1-2015.

Hi, this morning we got ready to leave Cap Cod; The usual, fill the black tank drain it and fill it again and drain it again, drain the gray tank, start the truck, load Dusty into the truck. Disconnect water hose and fill fresh tank. Turn everything off and disconnect shore cord. Finish connecting hitch. Raise tongue jack and Bzzzzippppppzzzzzzzbbbbbzzzzz. Damn, stripped gear in tongue jack. Now I have another project. OK so we drove from Mass through RI and through Conn. [I don't feel like spelling tonight] and finally, back in New York. On the way there were no camp grounds, no RV sales or parts, and basically nothing to stop for. And no rest stops either. We are in a KOA and I have removed my tongue jack so I can get a new gear or buy a new tongue jack tomorrow at camping World. I heard that these tongue jacks stripped gears and mine is going on 11 years old, so I guess I was due for this to happen. My bathroom cabinet sliding doors come off with hard bumps in the road; I need new plastic channels, but that will have to wait until I get home. Also my upper pantry door keeps popping off of the upper hinge. I tried a few Mickey Mouse fixes, but they didn't work. Lastly I tied the clip-together-hinge pieces together with ty-wraps. FIXED.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-01-2015, 10:19 PM   #1376
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Years ago my jack stopped, I took the cover off and found all the grease was everywhere but on the gears. I put the grease on the actual gears and it has worked every since. Every year I consider making sure the grease is still on the gears and then I do something else. Maybe I should check that given your experience. Ours is 8 years old and I can't wait for 11.

Good luck with the jack. And I'm glad you hadn't lost the crank or you have had a problem getting it off.

Gene

Old 09-02-2015, 08:00 PM   #1377
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
9-2-2015.

Hi, today's agenda was to go to Camping World, the only RV store around, and try to buy a new gear for my tongue jack. Well we were off to a good start when the parts person was a woman; She had no idea of what I wanted and had to ask someone else. And then the typical, make model and serial number and I might be able to order you one. I bought a new tongue jack and will fix my old one when I get home.

My truck tires are past due for rotation and there just happens to be a Ford dealer right next door to Camping World. I go in there and there is a girl at the desk, but she can only help if I have an appointment. So she directs me to the service advisors desks. There, a woman asks me what I want and I tell her that I need a tire rotation and need to wait for it. She says it can't be done for a few hours. Lee wants to tour the Vanderbilt Mansion. I told her my truck was making a noise and needed to know if it was normal or not. She had no clue as to what I was asking for. So I asked to speak to the shop foreman. She said that they didn't have one.

I have nothing against women having mechanical related jobs, but if they do, they need to know more than taking orders and looking at a computer.

Lee did her tour and I found another Ford dealer and got my truck taken care of.

Then we headed for the camp ground where I had the job of replacing my tongue jack before dark and/or the mosquitos. Just in time because we are staying here for three more days and we have to change spaces tomorrow. One other camper wanted to stay one more day, but this place is completely booked for the weekend. Good thing that we checked this morning or we might have been homeless for a few days. Hopefully after this weekend things will be less crowded and easier going. We don't camp on big holidays, but on long trips it is not avoidable.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-04-2015, 11:03 AM   #1378
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
What tongue jack make and model did you purchase?

Kelvin
Old 09-07-2015, 11:25 AM   #1379
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Has Bob been extradited to Canada? Been 5 days since he posted. Last seen with new tongue jack at a KOA north of NYC. Has a new Ford truck and a never washed Airstream. Keep a lookout.

Gene

Old 09-07-2015, 05:05 PM   #1380
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
What tongue jack make and model did you purchase?

Kelvin
Hi, stupid me forgot the name of the jack, bought it at Camping world for $100.00 more than Amazon wanted for the same thing. [desperation]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Has Bob been extradited to Canada? Been 5 days since he posted. Last seen with new tongue jack at a KOA north of NYC. Has a new Ford truck and a never washed Airstream. Keep a lookout.

Gene
Hi, lets get this straight; Never waxed, not never washed! The camp grounds made WIFI work a bit better, but they now monitor your usage and shut you off. I had no WIFI for the last three days. Almost $600.00 in rent and I can't have decent WIFI??????

We drove to Beacon and took a train into New York City two days in a row. We didn't get robbed, mugged, or any other New York specialty. It was a lot like Los Angelus, but with more huge buildings and we didn't drive there. We took the hop-on and hop-off buses and seen all that we wanted.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144