Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2015, 07:42 PM   #1341
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
For a good lobster roll, I think Red's is hard to beat. They've been in business at the same location for as long as I can remember and that goes back to the late 50’s for me. They are located in Wiscasset. Coming south on Rt 1, it will be on your right just after crossing the Sheepscot River. It's a walk up window to order with a few picnic tables nearby. The street in front of it is pretty narrow, so plan on driving past and look for a place to park a few blocks away and walk back. I don't think you will be disappointed. The last time I was through there they were redoing the bridge, but I don't think it bypasses the town yet. That bridge has been a bottleneck as the tourist traffic has skyrocketed over the years.

As for lobster dinners, the best places are right on the water, where you order at the window then carry your tray to a picnic table on the docks. Promising locations are Rockport, Boothbay Harbor and Bailey Island, but most port towns sprout a shack or two and none are bad. Prices will vary widely. The 1.25 to 1.5 lb lobsters are often the sweetest. If you like the tail meat, they often offer a deal on a pair of lobsters that are each missing a claw, that way you get 2 tails and 2 claws. I've got a list of lobster shacks. If you want, pm me and I'll email a copy.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:41 PM   #1342
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Hi Guys... I was in McMinnville today.. was 100!!! we're having a heat issue in Oregon!!!... not to mention the fires!!!! very dry year... keep having fun there!!! I'm watching!!! Hugs and love to you, gail
Old 08-19-2015, 06:56 PM   #1343
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
8-19-2015.

Hi, today we drove along Hwy 1 to Bar Harbor, Maine. We stopped at a Wal-Mart on the way And parked by two other Airstream trailers. We are in Bar Harbor, but not at Bar Harbor; Yes, I'm confused too. We spent a ton of money at Wal-Mart and still forgot two things. My beard is getting too bushy and needs to be cut down to size. Not wanting to bring too much stuff, I left my electric clippers at home. I guess I will have Airstream electric clippers soon. The pony tail stays until long enough to donate. I stuff it in my hat when we cross borders for a safe measure, but shouldn't have to. Anyway, I think we are done with border crossings.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:01 PM   #1344
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Lobster.

Hi, we passed a place that was packed with people, so this must be a good place to buy a lobster. It was expensive, but huge. They boil them in pots outside and serve them on a big tray. Everything is extra, like butter, and they didn't blink an eye when taking my $100.00 bill. We enjoyed it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-19-2015, 10:03 PM   #1345
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, we passed a place that was packed with people, so this must be a good place to buy a lobster. It was expensive, but huge. They boil them in pots outside and serve them on a big tray. Everything is extra, like butter, and they didn't blink an eye when taking my $100.00 bill. We enjoyed it.
If you enjoy it when someone takes your $100 bill, stop by here, I'll be happy to make you happy. (Don't analyze that too much, it turns dirty if you stop and think about it).

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:06 PM   #1346
Rivet Master

I sent Gene an email (no reply), but if he's away from the internet, that won't help much.

Ken
Old 08-21-2015, 07:48 PM   #1347
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
8-21-2015.

Hi, we have been in Bar Harbor KOA for a few nights so far. One form of Lobster, for me, everyday now. We bought ice cream in town and they have Lobster Ice Cream, but that doesn't sound good to me. I had Lobster for lunch yesterday and for dinner tonight. I tried posting pictures, but they just won't go. I think something is wrong with Air forums because I was able to post the same reduced pictures on Facebook, but not here. My beard was out of control so I bought some new electric clippers from Wal-mart. Get this; Wal-Mart asked me if I wanted an extended warranty on my new clippers for $3.00 more. I said, why would I buy the extended warranty on clippers that came with a lifetime warrantee?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-21-2015, 08:01 PM   #1348
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, let's see if I can sneak some pictures in here.

Nope, no pictures. What the Hey??????

Tonight I had to buy some ice and put all of my freezer stuff in my ice chest. My freezer iced up and my refrigerator wasn't as cold as it should be. With a hair dryer and a towel, we got all of the ice out. I turned the refrigerator back on and we will re-load the freezer tomorrow morning. I have never had this problem before, but most of this trip was in high humidity.

Parking in Bar Harbor is horrendous, but the free bus ride takes nearly an hour each way due to all of the stops. We will drive and take our chances again. We did find parking, but it took quite a while to find a spot for my truck. We went to the beach and touched the Atlantic ocean today. Parking in the right lane on the one way street is allowed where marked. Many people got parking tickets for parking in the right lane where no parking is allowed.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-22-2015, 09:54 PM   #1349
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
8-22-2015.

Hi, today we went for a nice drive around another section of the island. There was a rocky beach where Lee said that she could have stayed there all day. Poor Dusty stayed in the trailer all day yesterday and didn't get to go anywhere. We won't purposely leave him alone for more than four hours. We take care of him and his needs before we go out again. Today Dusty went with us and walked on the huge flat rocks at the beach. On the way in we saw some interesting buildings and two church buildings that we wanted pictures of. On the way out, we stopped to take the pictures of the churches. Love to share them with you, but this WIFI blocks all attempts to post pictures on this forum. Some how, I was able to post some pictures on Facebook. Dusty got a waterless shampoo today while I washed both of his beds, his towels, and his car blanket.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-22-2015, 10:04 PM   #1350
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Bad day?

Hi, well we all have been bitten by mosquitos and it is very irritating to say the least. I can't use things on Dusty that we use, because he might lick it off and get sick. My refrigerator wasn't cooling as much as it should so we defrosted the freezer last night. Some young people had a party last night and blocked the street with tables so I had to back out at night. It's very dark here at night and luckily I didn't back over any power posts while getting out. And finally, a motorhome that was next to us was plugged into shore power and running his generator at the same time. What's with that? All of these people were here for one night and left today, so we are back to a peaceful camp ground again. I guess there are just going to be days like this.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-23-2015, 03:06 AM   #1351
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi,

(1.) Lobster lunch at Bar Harbor.

(2.) Lobster Diner.

(3.) Lobster boilers.

(4.) Dusty in his truck.

(5.) Lobster burger.

(6.) Fake deer in someone's front yard; Then it moved.

(7.) Dusty; Snug as a bug on a rug.

(8.) Lobster dinner in Bar Harbor, down town.

(9.) Bob enjoying all of the Maine Lobsters.

(10.) Bob touching the Atlantic Ocean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09767crop.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	246106   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09764RS.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	246107  

Name:	DSC09766RS.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	246108   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09782RS.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	246109  

Name:	DSC09784RS.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	246110   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09785RS.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	246111  

Name:	DSC09789RS.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	246112   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09829RS.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	246114  

Name:	DSC09831RS.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	246115  
Attached Images

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-23-2015, 07:36 PM   #1352
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
8-23-2015.

Hi, today we decided to drive up Cadillac hill, or was it mountain? Anyway, we drove up there about two days ago and could barely see the road through the fog. Today the Sun came out so we decided to try it again, but of course, all of the parking spaces were taken. I let Lee out and drove in circles until I found a place to park my truck. Cadillac hill is a mass or one huge rock. The view was of Bar Harbor down town and several islands. I have no idea why it is called Cadillac hill/ mountain. As we were done and leaving, the fog started to roll in, and fast too. In short order, all of the views were gone. We just made it. Later we went to a small loop where there is a tiny museum, a hiking path, and a garden. Once again, I let Lee out and drove in circles until I found a parking spot. After all of this excitement we drove through down town Bar Harbor. We found a parking space near the end of the main street. Lee got out and right back in. There was a nice grassy spot where we could let Boo-Boo out, but Lee was chased by mosquitoes.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #1353
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Continued.

Hi, since we were already parked in a place where finding a parking space is like winning the lottery, Lee said we should get some ice cream; You know I put up a good fight about that. I was so tempted to try lobster ice cream. I wasn't going to buy any, but thought that I might ask for a sample taste of it. Never mind, it still sounds gross to me and I have already done plenty of daring things on this trip. The mosquitoes have bitten all three of us and Dusty was the most irritated. There isn't a whole lot that we could do for Dusty, but some Neosporin, Benadryl, and baking soda paste helped.

We were dangerously in need of tank drainage today and had a few choices. Have the honey bucket truck come out, connect the trailer and take it to the dump site, Or connect the trailer, circle the lot and dump in an un-used space and return back to our space. I did the last one. Their dump site is only good for using on your way out and you would have to drive several blocks just to turn around and get back into the camp ground. So I surveyed the area and only two rows behind us had sewer connections. Hook up, drive around, drain system, and return to our spot and re-level our trailer took about 30 minutes or less. Our Ocean View site is water and electric only.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-24-2015, 06:17 AM   #1354
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Hello....Bob, Lee & Dusty

Glad the trip is proceeding happily, swatswatswat....ouch.

We have a tentative plan for the same lobster route during "leaf peep'n" season.
Although the recent good news was welcome, it's made little real world difference, thumbs crossed.

BTW.....just how many bars are there in Bar Harbor?

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:55 AM   #1355
Rivet Master

We have a bit of Bar Harbor at our home whenever the wind blows.

Wind Bell Bar Harbor

Ken
Old 08-24-2015, 03:52 PM   #1356
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
Bob, when we pulled into Seawall campground a few days ago there was a vintage AS with Oregon plates. He escaped before I could accost him...
We will be around for another ten days ,so feel free to drop in. AS 2626 in site c26
Al & Patty.

Follow us at two bikes + an Airstream. http://Airgo.blogspot.com

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at https://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:15 PM   #1357
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Mt. Cadillac was named after Antoine Laumet de La Mothe - Sieur de Cadillac, an 18th Century French explorer. It used to be called Green Mountain. I remember my dad made several attempts to drive to the summit, but always turned around. He grew up driving cars you had to start with a hand crank so he wasn't very trusting of the modern automobile technology of the 1950s. I've driven up a couple times since, but agree that it is much better if the fog doesn't obscure the the edge of the road.

Summers on Mt Desert Island (Bar Harbor) are always jammed with tourists. Unfortunately much of the Maine coast is also clogged with tourists. The last time we entered Maine on I-95 from NH, it was on a Sunday afternoon and the southbound traffic from the weekenders was at a virtual standstill for nearly 20 miles. We coincidentally exited on the same route on a Friday and saw the same traffic jam northbound. My conclusion was to avoid the bottlenecks, go north on Sunday and south on Friday and you'll miss the worst of it. Likewise, take Saturday/Sunday as down days so you don't have to compete with the weekenders, but expect the hot spots will always be busy. I'm #1 fan for Maine lobster but the thought of lobster ice cream isn't even on the bottom of on my list of things to try.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #1358
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Darn WIFI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobikes View Post
Bob, when we pulled into Seawall campground a few days ago there was a vintage AS with Oregon plates. He escaped before I could accost him...
We will be around for another ten days ,so feel free to drop in. AS 2626 in site c26
Al & Patty.

Follow us at two bikes + an Airstream. twobikes + an Airstream
Hi, well I tried to PM Pat and Al, but got kicked out. [this page can't be displayed] So I tried it again and just left my phone number. Lee and I loaded Dusty into our truck and headed to Seawall camp ground. We made to Pat and Al's camp sight, but no-body was home. Sad to have missed them, so I left a note. Just as we were leaving, I got a call from Al. He was in Bar Harbor, near our camp ground. Well, we set up a place to meet. I'm sure glad that we were able to get together. We had a nice talk; Even Dusty managed to get in a few barks. It's so nice to meet up with forum friends.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-24-2015, 08:48 PM   #1359
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
8-24-2015.

Hi, today was sleep-in day for Bob; I'm slowly getting behind in my sleep because Dusty wants out at 4:00 AM. and won't let me go back to sleep. Lee wanted to go to L L Bean Factory outlet store. I didn't like anything in there and we left empty handed. Next we made a stop at Wal-Mart for few things. I have always heard about TSC Tractor Supply Company, and we keep driving past one of them. I haven't ever been to one before. Well, I came out of there with three bags full of stuff; Funny thing is, I bought dog food and treats for Dusty there, at the Tractor Supply Company. They had Dusty's brand and style of food. Dusty eats Science Diet Chicken, Turkey, and Beef for seniors, ages 7 and older. They didn't have Turkey so he will have to do with Chicken and Beef mixed with Beef Stew from Wal-Mart. This saved me a trip to Petco or Petsmart. Tomorrow we are hitting the road again; We spent almost a week here and that's unusual for us. A BLT and a Angus hamburger was our lunch today. They had macaroni and cheese with lobster as one of their specials. I asked the waitress and she said it was just macaroni and cheese with a some little pieces of lobster mixed in. We still have lobster in our plans.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-25-2015, 05:28 AM   #1360
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, pictures.

(1.) Pat and Al's Airstream. [two bikes]

(2.) Bridge reflection.

(3.) Dusty walking the rocks at the Atlantic Ocean.

(4.) Wild Turkeys? at a Church.

(5.) White, wood, old Church; They seem to be everywhere in Maine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC09888RS.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	246288   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09887RS.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	246289  

Name:	DSC09832RS.jpg