Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #1001
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Hi Bob.. we passed you two just after you'd left Camp Smartstream... if we hadn't stopped at Starbuck's for that cup of coffee we'd have made it in time to at least say hello!!! So, we'll see you at Jackson... until then, Keep having fun!!! hugs to you guys, gail...
Old 07-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #1002
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Gail; we are right up the street from you, at Premier RV Resort, on HWY 22. Today we picked some more, FREE, wild berries. Of course Lee Lee picked much more than I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02820RS.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	424.9 KB
ID:	190447   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02817RS.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	380.4 KB
ID:	190448  

Name:	DSC02816RS.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	643.7 KB
ID:	190449  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #1003
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Hi Bob, those berries look really good!!! mine aren't that close to ripe yet... can hardly wait!!! HWY 22 is close (ish) to the cottage in Bay City... I'm up in Astoria at the moment... bit further up the road... how's that campground??? I'll look for it next time I'm on that road... keep having fun!!! hugs to both of you and pats for BooBoo... Gracie was sorry she missed him .. see you at Jackson...
Old 07-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #1004
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIR1 View Post
Hi Bob, those berries look really good!!! mine aren't that close to ripe yet... can hardly wait!!! HWY 22 is close (ish) to the cottage in Bay City... I'm up in Astoria at the moment... bit further up the road... how's that campground??? I'll look for it next time I'm on that road... keep having fun!!! hugs to both of you and pats for BooBoo... Gracie was sorry she missed him .. see you at Jackson...
Hi, Gail; As you can see in the pictures, only one out of the cluster of berries is the ripe one. This is a really nice camp ground, we've been here before, but like the rest, WIFI is iffy.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #1005
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, today we had fun picking more free wild berries; We had some of them in our Black Cherry ice cream tonight. It was soooo good. Boo-Boo just relaxed today. He lets us know [with body language] whether he wants to go out with us or not.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02832RS.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	390.7 KB
ID:	190566   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02836crop.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	190567  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #1006
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Is there really a woman in there?

Hi, well I'm not sure exactly what happened, but we really pissed off Georgette. [my GPS] We were just driving around the country side and in and out of different housing areas. There was some construction going on and the road was closed. We drove up the road anyway until it looked like we were going to get into trouble for doing it. To get to our destination, we went around the other end of the construction area. There we had to go down tore up roads, in an unusual way to get to see this place. At that time we turned around to head on out. Because of the odd detours and streets that were not well known by Georgette, we didn't [couldn't] go the way she told us to. As I was going down this dirt and gravel road, Georgette went berserk. She started yelling at me, in a very fast, non-stop commanding voice. "turn left here, turn left now, recalculating, turn left in 50 feet, turn left on Jones street, recalculating, make a "U" turn at next intersection", and on and on and on. Actually I don't remember what she said, but she made about twenty five commands in less than one minute. Finally, my wife reached over and turned Georgette off. Whew!!!!!!! We really pissed her off this time. Because of her actions, we believe that there really is a woman inside of my GPS. We promised to never get Georgette pissed off again.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-10-2013, 12:01 AM   #1007
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
I think you only have a few options in order not to piss her off. Either blindly follow all of her commands as she seems to be the dominate type, or don't turn her on at all.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #1008
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
We just purchased a new GPS (Garmin) which left me less than impressed on our last trip. Here are a couple of the major stupid things she did.

1. She took us off of a freeway and had us drive several miles through city traffic. We found out later if we had stayed on the freeway for those several miles, would could have exited a few miles from our destination with only two stop lights to deal with.

We were at Cheyenne Mountain State Park in Colorado springs. Every time we left the park, she tried to route us via a gated emergency only state park road to join the restricted official business only road that serves only the NORAD command center inside the mountain.

It is obvious that when we deviate from her assigned routing, she makes no attempt to find the best route from that point to the destination. She simply seeks the fastest way back to her previously assigned routing. If you fail to comply and happen to be paralleling her route, she will order you to turn at every Podunk residential or narrow road along the way, so she can go back to sleep sooner. I have proven this by stopping her when we are off route and then restarting her from that point to the destination.

On the way home, we left her assigned route on a diverging highway to go around Denver to the west, rather than take I-25 though the city. For at about 20 minutes or more (well past the point where it was much quicker to take the route we had chosen), she tried to get us to take every other road back to the east through all the west Denver suburbs to rejoin I-25.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #1009
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The only problem we have with our navigation system is sometimes the paper tears where it is folded and I have to put some Scotch tape on it (batteries not included).

Happy trails….

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #1010
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
I set my GPS on the Brittish mode.. she has a lovely voice, is very polite and never yells... try that... gail
Old 07-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #1011
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIR1 View Post
I set my GPS on the Brittish mode.. she has a lovely voice, is very polite and never yells... try that... gail
You can give her or him any voice you wish, but it won't make him or her one bit smarter.

Some day I might stop buying stupid stuff I don't need. Then again, I doubt it.

Ken
Old 07-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #1012
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post

Some day I might stop buying stupid stuff I don't need. Then again, I doubt it.

Ken
Words to live by.

Gene

Old 07-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #1013
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Salem to Red Bluff.

Hi, today we drove from Salem, Oregon to Red Bluff, California. It hit 101 degrees today. As soon as my trailer was in place, we turned the air conditioner on full blast. Poor Boo-Boo was cooking. [in our trailer] Guess where I'm at right now. No, not the laundry room, but the Club House. Super nice camp ground, [Durango RV resort] but same ole crappy WIFI. Georgette was nice today and we did what she told us to do except for gas stations and rest stops, but she got over it. On her set-up I checked everything except for highways. No "U" turns, No car pool lanes, [HOV] No toll roads, No bitching.... That wasn't one of the choices, but there was at least one more that I can't remember without going back into the system. Oh, and we stopped at a few rest stops where there were no bums with card board signs. [too many now days]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #1014
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we are not home yet, but pretty close. One more over night stop off for the final tank flush before we get home, because I can't do it at home.

Problems with my Lincoln: Drinks too much.

Problems with my Safari: Bathroom vent fan quit for 1/2 day. It's done this before. Possible dead spot on the motor. One ceiling light bulb burned out.

That's all, so we are happy.

Hoping this heat wave is over by time we get home.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #1015
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
The only problem we have with our navigation system is sometimes the paper tears where it is folded and I have to put some Scotch tape on it (batteries not included).

Happy trails….

Gene

Hi, that's an ancient style of GPS that you have Gene. Bet you have a Smart phone. We have a pretty good GPS, but we use dumb phones.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #1016
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, that's an ancient style of GPS that you have Gene. Bet you have a Smart phone. We have a pretty good GPS, but we use dumb phones.
One interesting thing our new GPS does:

It connects to my smart phone via Bluetooth. It uses that connection to communicate with a Garmin App on the phone that accesses the internet and relays information to the GPS. One thing that it sends to the GPS is data to allow the GPS to plot real time weather radar on the GPS map. It helped us to avoid some severe thunderstorms in Nebraska in June.

Ken
Old 07-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #1017
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
No smart phones either—one dumb phone between us. But 2 laptops (Barb just got the smallest Mac Air) and one iPad. With Verizon I can get a map on the iPad and watch a blue dot (us) go down the highway. None of this berates us or recalculates.

Bob, did you get a chance to look at houses in Oregon?

Gene

Old 07-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #1018
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Bob & Lee's random trip.

For some reason it doesn't seem as bad when the GPS scolds with an Australian accent. We have named our GPS Delores, and she had had to accept that I am a Wrong-Way-Corrigan . . . I am terrible at determining my direction of travel so thought that GPS would help . . . I never feel as totally lost as I could before, but it is still a rare trip when I don't hear "turn missed . . . recalculating" from Delores. The only time that she became extremely unhappy was when we were directed from the old main highway onto the newly completed 40 mile by-pass route . . . forty miles of "you are not on any marked road" . . . . "turn around and return to last known road" . . . "recalculating" . . . . . "approaching river no bridge or ferry indicated" . . . .

The new road had only been open for 24-hours and Delores' map files were more than two years old so I can't blame her for not knowing about the new road.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #1019
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
For some reason it doesn't seem as bad when the GPS scolds with an Australian accent. We have named our GPS Delores, and she had had to accept that I am a Wrong-Way-Corrigan . . . I am terrible at determining my direction of travel so thought that GPS would help . . . I never feel as totally lost as I could before, but it is still a rare trip when I don't hear "turn missed . . . recalculating" from Delores. The only time that she became extremely unhappy was when we were directed from the old main highway onto the newly completed 40 mile by-pass route . . . forty miles of "you are not on any marked road" . . . . "turn around and return to last known road" . . . "recalculating" . . . . . "approaching river no bridge or ferry indicated" . . . .

The new road had only been open for 24-hours and Delores' map files were more than two years old so I can't blame her for not knowing about the new road.

Kevin
The last several years, I have bought lifetime map updates when I get a new GPS. Therefore all my GPS's screw ups are the latest and best screw ups available.

Ken
Old 07-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #1020
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Lost my WIFI.

Hi, last night I lost my WIFI because the young person had to lock up the Club House at 10:00 PM. We left Red Bluff this morning and made it to Bakersfield RV resort. I asked for a place close to the man buildings so I could get WIFI. The young girl told me that their system has been updated, and so far it works great. Actually better than any place we have been to yet. I didn't count the poles, but they are in the camp ground at about every ten spaces. The poles have sensors [or whatever they are called] for the WIFI system. I will try to get a few pictures of them. We stayed in our trailer because it was 100 degrees out there today.

More Later.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144