Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #521
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Oh Hail!!!!!!

Hi, last evening, we had another rain storm, here at the camp ground; Then it began to Hail. Luckily it was only pea sized. Last night was quiet and peaceful, but this morning it isn't. Like quite a few places we stayed on this trip, there are several Road Crew workers staying here. It's nice to have the roads re-done or repaired, but the workers get up early and make lot's of noise. They have their own campers to stay in and could be considered as full timers, I guess. Right now they are loading their equipment, dogs, and whatever. They are also testing there gas powered tools. It's not that bad; Seems like Lee and Dusty are sleeping through it. Time for our morning coffee and breakfast before we move again. We keep telling Dusty that he is a Gypsie dog and this is how we live. [moving almost daily]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #522
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It's about this time on a long trip that we want to be home and we don't want to go home—we want to see more places and travel some more, but it would be nice to be home too.

Bob, you didn't get inspected? What is your secret?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #523
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Must be his rugged good looks...

.... or he looks good ruggedly.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #524
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hi Silver Ranger, We recently ( 2 wks ago) crossed from NYS into Quebec at the Rt. 87 crossing. No problem, couple of questions, showed our passports and passed right through. Coming back into the US at a crossing into Northern Maine it only took a few minutes but they asked to check inside and confiscated 2 lemons. They were lemons from home but it doesn't matter. Citrus fruit is not allowed back into the US. I'm not sure what that's all about. I really don't know if there is any method to their madness. It's a roll of the dice whether they will hassle us with a more detailed inspection or if they won't. So I don't think there is any way to be any more sure than that. Be nice, answer the questions and keep your fingers crossed. We've never been hassled any more than this recent quick interior check and we've crossed the border many times with our airstream and years ago with a pop-up camper and also with just our car. But I've heard the same horror stories about some border crossings but never experienced anything even close.

Tell your friend not to worry about it. Take it as it comes and tell us about it later.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #525
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
They've told me that the fruit labels should be kept on the fruit so they can tell where it came from. They've told me contradictory things too.

They don't let you watch them and who knows what they are doing in there rummaging through your stuff and possibly breaking things? It is easy to feel violated.

I've heard the horror stories too and it makes us think twice about crossing the border. Of 4 crossings into the US last year from Canada, the fruit police inspected us twice.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #526
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Border inspections.

Hi, as for our crossing the border 9 times, I was corrected by my wife; We only crossed through 7 borders. They all asked questions and I only answered what they asked. Where are you from? Long Beach, California. They don't know where Lakewood is. Where are you going? To Alaska. How many people are there? Two of us and a dog. Let me see your passports and the dog's shot records. Do you have any weapons? Guns, bear spray, pepper spray, or stun guns? No, I read on the internet, not to bring any of those with me. You can bring bear spray. I read that I couldn't. Do you have excessive amounts of money, drugs, alcohol, or tobacco. No, we don't use those things. These were the most common questions asked. Here are some more of their questions. Why is your front license plate mounted inside of your bumper? So it won't get knocked off again. What do you have inside of your trailer? People food and dog food. Do you own a gun? Yes. What kind is it? A Glock 21. Where is your gun at this time? At home. Last border: Do you have any fruit? Yes we just bought two bananas, in the last town, in Canada. What do you do? We are retired. Retired from what? I retired from a car dealership. Lucky you. I think they liked us, so we were set free.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #527
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I like the part about the car dealership... lucky you?!

What does that mean? Lucky you that you worked at a car dealership? Lucky you that you survived working at a car dealership? Lucky you that you no longer have to work at a car dealership? lol..

Im going with the 3rd option.. my day will come.

What a great journey.

Cant wait for all the rebuild threads to follow once home..

Cheers Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #528
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
West Vancouver , British Columbia
Hi Bob. It was nice to meet you in Banff. Glad to see you're safely across the border. I meant to ask if you had been to any rallies and how that had been. I've now got the app and we're working on the sticker. Safe travels!
kfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #529
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
I like the part about the car dealership... lucky you?!

What does that mean? Lucky you that you worked at a car dealership? Lucky you that you survived working at a car dealership? Lucky you that you no longer have to work at a car dealership? lol..

Im going with the 3rd option.. my day will come.

What a great journey.

Cant wait for all the rebuild threads to follow once home..

Cheers Vinnie
Hi, Vinnie. "A" "B" "C" "D" And the correct answer was "D" All of the above. Mostly the retired part. More like the detail and repaint thread. My tongue and hitch were like brand new or better just before this trip. Now they look like they have been neglected for decades.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #530
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfoo View Post
Hi Bob. It was nice to meet you in Banff. Glad to see you're safely across the border. I meant to ask if you had been to any rallies and how that had been. I've now got the app and we're working on the sticker. Safe travels!
Hi, kfoo. I have been to several forum rallies and the next one for us is in October in Northern California; "Jackson Rancheria."
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-10-2011, 11:38 PM   #531
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Day 41. Tires again??????

Hi, this morning we left Glacier Meadow RV Park. It was another scenic drive with some road construction on the way. This time it was asphalt, not gravel. Back when Lee Lee was trying to spend all of our Canadian coins, I was doing another inspection/walk around. This time I noticed that, not only my Lincoln tires are wearing thin, but they are about to show metal plys on the outside edges. Also they were starting to crack in places. Today I told Lee lee that we needed to buy new tires for the Lincoln; No problem, we will just find the nearest Costco and buy them. When we left home my tires were a little more than half worn out. The gravel roads wore them out faster than normal. We found a Costco and they didn't have any tires for my Lincoln. Actually, from most manufacturers, they stopped making them. My Lincoln tires are obsolete? Do I have to buy a new tow vehicle? How will we get home so that I can buy a new tow vehicle? I need new tires, and I need them now!!!!!! I ended up going to Les Schwab, in Kalispell Montana, for tires. The only real choice that I had was to buy TOYO brand tires that are a tiny bit narrower, a tiny bit taller, and a whole lot of my lunch money to pay for them. Vinnie, you are going to have to work a little longer to help pay for my expenses. Happily on the road again we stopped at a Subway sandwich store for lunch in Libby, Montana. They claim to be the Eagle town or something like that. Now we are in Sand Point, Idaho.

(1.) Glacier Meadow RV Park camp ground.

(2.) Lincoln, trailer, and all go into tire shop.

(3.) Lincoln getting the old Goodyears removed. DOT 0106. I have had them long enough, I guess.

(4.) People who took all of my lunch money today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5419-25.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	137311   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5420-25.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	137312  

Name:	IMG_5421-25.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	137313   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5422-25.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	137314  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-10-2011, 11:52 PM   #532
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Day 41. Continued.

Hi, a few more pictures for you.

(1.) After the new tires were installed, they backed out of the stall and steam cleaned my new tires and old wheels.

(2.) New tires. I'm usually picky about brands of tires and many other things, and I still am, but when you are out of the big city, where you can get almost anything you want, you just bite the bullet and make the best choice that you can.

(3.) One of many Eagle art pieces displayed in Libby. I got this picture because it was right next to the Subway where we bought lunch today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5423-25.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	137315   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5424-25.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	137316  

Name:	IMG_5426-25.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	137317  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-11-2011, 08:53 AM   #533
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Well, Bob, Lee Lee, I've been following your travels with envy. We plan to again to return to Alaska. Unfortunately my only visit to there was for my brother's funeral. It was Winter so the majesty of what we saw took the some of the sting of my loss a little. As I mentioned earlier my nieces live in Anchorage. BUT I am afraid our return to Alaska will be by tradiional means, cruise and air as I would have to rethink our rig as what we have are not Alaskan safari road worthy. We will look forward to your 'slide show' at Jackson Rancheria in October. I know from now on you will not be using the excuse, "It's TOO far to drive" for not showing up to a rally.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #534
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Sounds like P275/60R17

Bob: This is the tire on Max, the tow vehicle. (2001 Eddie Bauer 2X4 Expedition). I found the Michelins we have are no longer made . I think I will have to get the replacement tires at TireRack.com. As you found out they are difficult to come by.

Randy Bowman
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:38 PM   #535
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
I have really enjoyed your adventures as well as the pictures you have shared with us all. Thanks doesn't convey my (our) appreciation for your ongoing blog.

Thanks again

P.S.

We have a '97 25' Safari
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #536
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
P275/60r17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB Bambi View Post
Bob: This is the tire on Max, the tow vehicle. (2001 Eddie Bauer 2X4 Expedition). I found the Michelins we have are no longer made . I think I will have to get the replacement tires at TireRack.com. As you found out they are difficult to come by.

Randy Bowman
Hi, Randy. I had to buy P265/70R17 tires. They are abit taller and a bit narrower.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #537
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirigible25 View Post
I have really enjoyed your adventures as well as the pictures you have shared with us all. Thanks doesn't convey my (our) appreciation for your ongoing blog.

Thanks again

P.S.

We have a '97 25' Safari
Hi, dirigible. I'm glad you are enjoying our random trip; We are at Gig Harbor, Washington right now and headed west.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-12-2011, 10:37 AM   #538
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
Well, Bob, Lee Lee, I've been following your travels with envy. We plan to again to return to Alaska. Unfortunately my only visit to there was for my brother's funeral. It was Winter so the majesty of what we saw took the some of the sting of my loss a little. As I mentioned earlier my nieces live in Anchorage. BUT I am afraid our return to Alaska will be by tradiional means, cruise and air as I would have to rethink our rig as what we have are not Alaskan safari road worthy. We will look forward to your 'slide show' at Jackson Rancheria in October. I know from now on you will not be using the excuse, "It's TOO far to drive" for not showing up to a rally.
Neil
Hi, Neil. I haven't thought about a slide show; Do you think people would actually want to watch one? This trip is a rough one and we expected worse. WIFI, here, is extremely weak, so I will have to do my updates at our next stop, or place that has a usable WIFI.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #539
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
of course we would like a slide show simular to what Lili does on her trips. Always enjoy seeing pictures of folks travel and trailers.. makes us feel like friends to share your good times that we cant go see. Kay
carnegie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #540
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, Neil. I haven't thought about a slide show; Do you think people would actually want to watch one?
Well, maybe not after the first glass of wine or 2nd can of beer. Perhaps a 'loop' slide show on your laptop will get an audience......me for one....with glass in hand.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote