Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
flyte'63

Vintage Kin Owner
Buffalo , New York
BLM sites near Arches?

Planning a UT trip for early July and thinking that the BLM sites near Arches and Moab look like good choices. Does anyone have experience with arriving at these sites late (6pm to 8pm) at this time of year, will any be open? Also what about safety of leaving the trailer on them during the day while making day trips?

Thanks for any thoughts!

- Don
dwstucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
We stayed at a small BLM site very close to Arches - right on the Colorado River. It was great, and I am guessing (can't remember) maybe $12 per night. Keep in mind no facilities, and no generators allowed. We were there in mid-September, and we were practically there by ourselves - can't speak to early July.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9576.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	172745   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9631.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	172746  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9642.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	172747   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9688.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	307.1 KB
ID:	172748  

2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Jacksons Gap , Alabama
We were also at Arches NP at the end of September. I was able to get reservations for 3 nights at the Devils Garden Campground at the north end of Arches NP. The rate for golden age pass holders was $10. I originally considered the BLM sites, but a site opened up a Devils Garden Campground. I could use my generator at Devils Garden CG and water was available. The campground books up early and if you want to spend any time in Arches NP, it is a good location. Devils Garden CG is about 18 miles from the park entrance, but it seems further. There are lots of arches to see.
Frank
Frank McFee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
We were in Moab in mid October. While it's not an answer to your question, we ended staying at Portal RV park. Very nice and it has full hookups; you might want them in July. There is a National Park campground in Canyonlands NP just across the highway from Arches. I think it's about 10 miles from the Island in the Sky entrance. It has nice views, pretty large sites, but no hookups, and I don't think any water.
Respect Each Other
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
July is hot and busy in that area. Your chances of a good BLM or even NP site is somewhat limited. Those are the kind of spaces I like too, but I think I would consider at least staying a night or two in a commercial spot, and exploring to see if anything else is really available. With the heat there, you really may want hookups.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
We stayed at the "Roughlock" RV park. Just 6 miles north of Monticello. It is nothing fancy and a bit run down, but it is secure. It has full hookups for $20.00 a night.
Certainly better than dry camping or boondocking.
The restaurant on site had excellent service and great food.
Their web site is titled. "thebestkeptsecretincanyonlands" or something like that.
I would stay there again if in the area.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
flyte'63

Vintage Kin Owner
Buffalo , New York
Thanks, I'll look into some of those options. Sounds like I was right to think that we should have reservations during that time frame. Also, good reminders about the temps, we have no AC but I can run a couple of decent sized fans and fully open my 6 jealousy windows and the door!

-Don
dwstucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If I remember right, which sometimes I don't, On the way in to the Needles in Canyonlands there is a lot of BLM land. There is a spot called Hamburger Rock and after that Indian Falls.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Limited
Nellysford , Virginia
Moab

Look up Dead Horse Point State Park, between Arches and Canyonlands beautiful park, you can get reservations. Has elec only...no water or showers. Nice sites.
RTurnConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:09 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
There are so many great camping options near Arches and Canyonlands!

Early July will be crowded at Arches. You may imagine that you are in Europe, based upon the good folk in rental RV's. I'd suggest making well-in advance reservations at Devils Garden. The park rangers at the entry will generally not be able to tell you if there are open sites, and it's a long drive in to discover that the CG is full.

There are a number of BLM sites nearby that we can access with our 23' Airstream.

See this site: Moab

Sand Flats Recreation Area just out of Moab is one of our favorite dry camping spots near Arches. Go all the way in to Juniper CG for fine sites and awesome views. The road turns to gravel/sand, but no problem for us. Some of the loops nearer the entrance will be a bit too rough for the trailer. The entrance attendant can advise you of current conditions. This is world-class slickrock off-roading and mountain biking territory.

Enjoy!
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
WE used one of the BLM sites along the River between Arches and Moab in June one year and I don't think it ever filled. No facilities but we liked it.
I suggest visiting Arches itself in the early morning. After 10 AM it is a zoo.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:26 PM   #12
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
The Moab district office for the BLM has maps showing its various campgrounds. Click on: Camping

We've camped several times at the Horsethief CG near Dead Horse Point State Park, off of HY 313. We have always seen empty spaces there, although the CG host told us sometimes they fill up on popular weekends. The Dead Horse Point overlook is not to be missed, but the CG in the park is fairly small. However, the Utah state parks do take advance reservations.

It's not so close to Arches, but we've also enjoyed staying at the Hatch Point BLM campground south of town in the Canyon Rim area, precisely because it is less crowded.

Back in our tent-camping days we liked Fisher Towers, but the parking at the campsites is really cramped, even for our 16-footer.

Unfortunately there are no longer many places permitting RVers to camp where they feel like in the Moab area, due to the overwhelming crush of visitors. And the CG at Arches actually has locked boxes on those posts where you clip your camping receipts-- perhaps dishonest late-comers were taking them down and replacing them with their own.

However, due to the many visitors in area campgrounds, we've not worried about leaving our trailer at the campsite and taking off in the truck for the day.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote