Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2008, 09:33 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Lumatic, thank you very much for the offer, but i think we are going to head up to petrified forest tomorrow. We just visited white sands, the winds were about 40 mph, we got sand blasted, lol. They were also filming a comedy with Jack Black. White sands is very beautiful.

Does anyone know how to make the pics smaller so i can post? I am using a 10 mp camera and the files are to big.

gaylejoe, enjoy your travels, maybe we will run into each other.

Nice bike Michelle,
mrchinup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:48 PM   #22
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
NICE!!!

And a whole lot cheaper than a plane.....no? 1200 RT? Red????? Hope you have a radar detector and H.A.R.D. system for that puppy!!!!!! Cops just LOVE red....................
Yes a lot cheaper than the plane and the truck. I do have a radar detector but I am not speeding. Really. 75 MPH is fast enough inches from the payment. Yeah those are our speed limits up here. HARD? What is that? I no they love red but red is also a high visibility color. That is why I am wearing a matching red jacket.
So red it is.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:57 PM   #23

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchinup1
Lumatic, thank you very much for the offer, but i think we are going to head up to petrified forest tomorrow. We just visited white sands, the winds were about 40 mph, we got sand blasted, lol. They were also filming a comedy with Jack Black. White sands is very beautiful.

Does anyone know how to make the pics smaller so i can post? I am using a 10 mp camera and the files are to big.

gaylejoe, enjoy your travels, maybe we will run into each other.

Nice bike Michelle,
Thanks,
What camera do you have? Do you have to shoot in full resolution or can you dial it down. I use iPhoto on my mac to reduce the size of my photos before posting. I also have Photoshop CS if necessary. Mac or PC?

The sands are actually gypsum. It stuck to my trailer for weeks!

Old 04-17-2008, 10:49 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Yes a lot cheaper than the plane and the truck. I do have a radar detector but I am not speeding. Really. 75 MPH is fast enough inches from the payment. Yeah those are our speed limits up here. HARD? What is that? I no they love red but red is also a high visibility color. That is why I am wearing a matching red jacket.
So red it is.
Hi, Michelle. My last bike was red too and you do need to be seen. More importantly, you need to watch everyone else. As for flying, I know that bike is faster than mine was [1976 Honda Gold Wing 1000] and mine would do 75+ in second gear, with a five speed trans. [top speed 120 MPH and my friend's BMW was a little faster] Your's will fly, figueratively speaking. Does your Beemer have ABS? Maybe they all do now.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:05 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Michelle,

H.A.R.D. is a neat little gizmo that attaches to your radar detector and transmits a wireless signal to a tiny red LED that you put at the edge of your field of vision inside your helmet. It lights up when your detector goes off.

It works especially well if your wear ear plugs (you should) or listen to music thru earphones and would not otherwise be able to hear/see your radar detector.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:27 AM   #26

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, Michelle. My last bike was red too and you do need to be seen. More importantly, you need to watch everyone else. As for flying, I know that bike is faster than mine was [1976 Honda Gold Wing 1000] and mine would do 75+ in second gear, with a five speed trans. [top speed 120 MPH and my friend's BMW was a little faster] Your's will fly, figueratively speaking. Does your Beemer have ABS? Maybe they all do now.
Yep watching for everyone else that can be tiring in town.
Not sure how fast she goes in second gear but she is hardly breathing at 75 in 6th. The Speedometer goes up to 150! My R1200 does have ABS and linked brakes.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:31 AM   #27

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Michelle,

H.A.R.D. is a neat little gizmo that attaches to your radar detector and transmits a wireless signal to a tiny red LED that you put at the edge of your field of vision inside your helmet. It lights up when your detector goes off.

It works especially well if your wear ear plugs (you should) or listen to music thru earphones and would not otherwise be able to hear/see your radar detector.
Ear plugs are not that big an issue. I can raise and lower the wind screen which cut the wind noise at my head significantly. I am not listening to music yet. The bike is still too new to me and requires too much of my attention.
Like i said I do onw a Radar Detector but I do not have it on the bike since the speed limits in Montana are senseable. Go fast when not in town!

George sorry for the Hijack. I think it is time to get back on subject....
Where are you now?

Old 04-19-2008, 08:22 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
"George sorry for the Hijack. I think it is time to get back on subject....
Where are you now?"

A thread would get boring if we didn't get sidetracked along the way. We are at Enchanted Trails RV park in Albuquerque, we wanted to go to Costco and do a little shopping. We are heading west today towards Canyon De Chelly NM and Petrified Forest.

We stayed at the Edgington RV Park near White Sands, Very very nice owner i would stay there again. 13 dollars with PA, with wifi. So far all 3 of the places we stayed have been ok.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:37 AM   #29
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
"......... We are heading west today towards Canyon De Chelly NM and Petrified Forest. ....
Sounds like you are having a good trip. Make sure you post pictures from Canyon de Chelly, I am hoping to get there this summer.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:03 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
I forgot this, my wife is setting up something on my trip journel.com. The name we used is road tripin, we only posted a few pics of Carlsbad Cavern so far. Hopefully we will post more tonight or tomorrow of white sands. I will post some here when i figure out how to downsize the pics. I haven't had anytime to work on that.

Michelle, i have 2 pc's, one won't post pics for some reason, i'm getting an error message. The other is fine. We have a Canon 40D that we got 2 weeks ago, so i'm still learning how to use it.

George
Old 04-19-2008, 09:11 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Rodney, can anyone post pics to your site?

Thanks George
Old 04-19-2008, 09:56 AM   #32
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Rodney, can anyone post pics to your site?

Thanks George
Not yet. When I finally get the synaptic storms site up next month, I will be inviting articles and probably photos.

You can upload here by attaching files. Click on the paper clip icon in the posting box and there you go!

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:05 PM   #33

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
"George sorry for the Hijack. I think it is time to get back on subject....
Where are you now?"
Quote:
A thread would get boring if we didn't get sidetracked along the way. We are at Enchanted Trails RV park in Albuquerque, we wanted to go to Costco and do a little shopping. We are heading west today towards Canyon De Chelly NM and Petrified Forest.

We stayed at the Edgington RV Park near White Sands, Very very nice owner i would stay there again. 13 dollars with PA, with wifi. So far all 3 of the places we stayed have been ok.
Have you considered Courtsey parking. It is a great way to meet other airstreamers. I have done a lot of it and it has all been a wonderful expereince.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:11 PM   #34

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
I forgot this, my wife is setting up something on my trip journel.com. The name we used is road tripin, we only posted a few pics of Carlsbad Cavern so far. Hopefully we will post more tonight or tomorrow of white sands. I will post some here when i figure out how to downsize the pics. I haven't had anytime to work on that.

Michelle, i have 2 pc's, one won't post pics for some reason, i'm getting an error message. The other is fine. We have a Canon 40D that we got 2 weeks ago, so i'm still learning how to use it.

George
I had to do some searching to get to your blog.....
Personal Trip Journal - Road Trippin
seems to work to get you there.....
Nice photos. I am going to have to get me one of those fancy dancy digital SLR jobs.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:31 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Sorry Michelle, my wife said i did it wrong,lol. If you print it this way it should go right to it. mytripjournal.com/roadtrippin
Old 04-19-2008, 03:33 PM   #36
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
So red it is.
Motorcycle? As in motorcycle? Red? I'm having flashbacks! Be careful!
Old 04-21-2008, 10:01 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Canyon de Chelly was a great NP, i'd say a 9 out of 10, only because we haven't been to any other big ones yet. Lots to do there, walk to the bottom of the canyon, with a couple of nice cliff walks on the way down that i wasn't to fond of, lol. I would have to say this one will be one of my favorites even after seeing all the other desert parks. There are a bunch of overlooks, you can also take a jeep tour into the canyon. My wife is posting pics on mytripjournal.com/roadtrippin . We will start taking smaller pictures with our other camera so we can post some here too.

There is a free boondocking campground right in the park. Very nice campgrounds, some pretty small rv sites, but there were some big ones. Great big area you can walk your dogs if you have any. The campground is 2 minutes away from the first overlook.

When we got our park pass in Carlsbad Cavern it was dated May instead of April, when we tried to get in Petrified forest they wanted to take my pass away and give me one for April even though there were only 10 day left in that month. She asked me for my liscense and held me up for 10 minutes, i told her to do what she had to do. She still called the park police to explain to me why it needed to be swapped out. By that time i had, had enough, i said give me back my liscense and my pass i don't want to go to your crummy park. I had to get rude, which i hate to do. We saw plenty of petrified wood up rt 40 where they sell it.

We went to Oak Creek Canyon today, from Flagstaff we took 89A all the way down to Sedona. Then we took 179 to 17 back to Flagstaff. What great views this route has, well worth the trip. We are going back tomorrow without the AS. On that route, there are plenty of little boondocking areas along the way for about 10-15 dollars per site.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:42 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Petrified

[quote=mrchinup1]we tried to get in Petrified forest ........ We saw plenty of petrified wood up rt 40 where they sell it.
quote]
There are a couple of shops in Petrified Forest/ Painted Desert NP where they sell Petrified wood. Interestingly, since they can't sell anything from inside the park. The stuff they sell is brought in from outside the park and then sold.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:05 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Humphrys peak

Humphrys peak, highest point in Arizona.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kyms pics first week cross country trip 403.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	872.8 KB
ID:	58847  
Old 04-28-2008, 04:05 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Grand Canyon

This guy made it very clear this was his cliff, lol. We waited till he looked a little more friendly before we passed, since it was probably 1k feet down from where he is standing. We are at Zion now, it's a very nice park too, but Canyon De Shelly is still my favorite. Next time we are at the Grand Canyon, (not counting the NR may 15th, we would like to go rafting on the river. I think that would be a great trip in a little warmer weather. Bryce Canyon tomorrow, i can't wait to drive up thru the tunnel in Zion, those switchbacks leading up to it are great. We shall see how the 5.3 L Silverado does going up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2297.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	59209