Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2021, 02:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Don Pedro Island , Florida
Bikes??

We plan to be on the road for approx. 3-4 months. RV Parks, State CG, and boondocking.

Space is getting limited in the truck and AS. I was wondering what the general feel is for bring along 7 speed foldable bikes non electric.

A real plus? Or So so.

Thanks,

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1921527
islandtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 02:45 PM   #2
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtrader View Post
We plan to be on the road for approx. 3-4 months. RV Parks, State CG, and boondocking.

Space is getting limited in the truck and AS. I was wondering what the general feel is for bring along 7 speed foldable bikes non electric.

A real plus? Or So so.

Thanks,
Good Idea...we also have a 7 speed foldable.
But it's been decades since I straddled a peddler and I found a 7 speed left a bit on the pavement...glad it has a battery.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C6A82534-1960-447C-9F61-ED9812C9A7DD_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	645.1 KB
ID:	393282  

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Islandtrader, there is definitely a trade off but if you can find space, I would take them. Before we got our Airstream we’d fly and drive to national parks then see people on bikes cruising around and think “boy, I wish we had our bikes”.

If you don’t bring them, you’re walking and wishing you had them. That said, if you don’t ride much at home, you might not be as interested in doing so on the road.

We now have a pair of Specialized e-bikes and most of our destinations this year include bike trail as an attraction. Luckily we have enough room inside the trailer between the twin beds to hold them.

Good luck with you decision and have a great summer!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:31 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Islandtrader, there is definitely a trade off but if you can find space, I would take them. Before we got our Airstream we’d fly and drive to national parks then see people on bikes cruising around and think “boy, I wish we had our bikes”.

If you don’t bring them, you’re walking and wishing you had them. That said, if you don’t ride much at home, you might not be as interested in doing so on the road.

We now have a pair of Specialized e-bikes and most of our destinations this year include bike trail as an attraction. Luckily we have enough room inside the trailer between the twin beds to hold them.

Good luck with you decision and have a great summer!

I second what Jeff said. We have a pair of folding e-bikes and manage to get them into the Airstream. However, if you'd like a pair of non-electric folders we have a couple we bought at Camping World a couple of years ago we'd sell you for $100. They're little used and come with duffel type bags to carry them in.
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I've become a real fan of folding bikes over the past year. I bought a basic 3 speed model with 16" wheels, that has a single fold in the middle. I've ridden hundreds of miles on it around town, and despite feeling like I am on a clown bike, it has been a good little bike. Best thing, I can fit it and my son's bike into the back of my VW Tiguan, so no rack, locking, etc., required.

I am about to upgrade to a 6 speed Brompton folding bike. They are to the folding bike world, what Airstreams are to the travel trailer world. They have a novel double-fold so that the resultant folded package is just larger than the 16" wheel. Like Airstreams, the price tag is hefty, but I am looking forward to having one.

I rode my full-sized mountain bike recently, and was quickly aware of how much faster I could ride on the full sized, 21 speed bike. That being said, when I am riding the folding bike, I am not really in a big hurry to get somewhere, so it is a good compromise. I see folks cruising along on the electric bikes pretty routinely as well. When I see how much an e-bike costs, and how heavy/bulky they tend to be, I think I would rather put my money toward getting the most compact fold possible. Again, not in a hurry to get anywhere.

Another thing to be aware of in terms of the electric bikes is that many cities are categorizing them as "motorized" vehicles, and banning them from sidewalks, and (more importantly) bike paths. Not sure how actively these rules are being enforced, but this may end up being a drawback to the e-bike.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Don Pedro Island , Florida
Thanks for the reply....I think I will order one from Amazon and see if it will work out. With prime I can ship back no charge.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1921527
islandtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:49 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Do you guys have any recommendations on quality folding bikes? The groupset is particularly important to me. I don't mind to put one together if some one has frame recommendations.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:01 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Zeppelin View Post
I second what Jeff said. We have a pair of folding e-bikes and manage to get them into the Airstream. However, if you'd like a pair of non-electric folders we have a couple we bought at Camping World a couple of years ago we'd sell you for $100. They're little used and come with duffel type bags to carry them in.
We also have a pair of folding e-bikes (Lectric XP) and thoroughly enjoy them. We have always hauled them in the bed of the truck, and even folded they take a substantial amount of space but we like having them. We are older, fitness no longer optimal, and the “boost” from the motor is a very nice thing to have when needed. You can control how much of the “e” is used to a good degree, including none if you want 100% human pedal power. They are heavier for sure (e-bikes), but I would recommend you give them a look before final decisions. We have taken ours on moderate trails, and sandy beaches too. Without the motor assist/boost, we wouldn’t be able to go more than 50 yards in the sand
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:27 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Love my Brompton

I also have a Brompton which I really like. I believe it is the only folding bike that folds in thirds, not in half. When folded it measures 2’x2’x10” and weighs 26.8 pounds. It is more expensive but very high quality. I have a six-speed, which is the most gears on a Brompton. I put in the back of my Toyota Land Cruiser when we travel.
SEA Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 02:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter417 View Post
Do you guys have any recommendations on quality folding bikes? The groupset is particularly important to me. I don't mind to put one together if some one has frame recommendations.

Check out Bike Friday. Great folding bikes, another example of you get what you pay for. I have one of their mid to upper mid range Picket Rockets and love it.

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:10 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
What's the weight on that?
Old 04-17-2021, 05:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
It all depends on what type of cycling you do. Buy whatever bike fits your style.

I ride 7k miles a year, so I want one kind of bike. My wife has an e-bike she rides one or two hundred miles a year.

Just buy the bike that will get you riding.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter417 View Post
What's the weight on that?

No idea, it’s a road bike heavier than my full size carbon one. However I used to do B/B+ rides on it, also very comfortable set up with same fit as real road bike. Metric centuries were not an issue at all. Ride is different but for regular riding or touring just fine.

We’re out traveling now full time and didn’t bring it or road bikes with, wife and i both have full sized ebikes we’re traveling with, hers is a hybrid Specialized turbo Vado mine a mountain bike also a Specialized turbo Levo SL

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
I'll second the Bike Fridays as we have 2. We have a tandem which theoretically will break down to fit into two Samsonite suitcases and a Pocket Llama. Both are 27 speed and comfortable to ride long distances. The tandem was acquired as my wife us visually impaired but loves to ride.
We carried it in a pod on our canopy and broke it out several times on trips.
My pocket Llama has actually become a favorite around town.
They are a bit pricey but we've had both for over 15 years with little to no maintenance required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
Check out Bike Friday. Great folding bikes, another example of you get what you pay for. I have one of their mid to upper mid range Picket Rockets and love it.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote