Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bowling Green , Ohio
bike racks on Airstream

Hi
Does anyone have a preference for an inexpensive but durable bike rack an AS? Any pros and cons of carrying bikes on the outside of the trailer?
Karterlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Really, the only place there is room for bikes on the outside of an Airstream is on the rear bumper, but I wouldn't carry them there. The rear of any trailer is absolutely the worst ride on the two vehicles and that would cause lots of problems, as well as the additional weight of the bikes and a sufficently strong bike rack would not be good for the trailer. Research "seperation".

I've seen a few bike racks on the front of trailers between the propane bottles and the body, but personally don't see there is enough room. I'd worry about the bikes damaging the trailer.

We solved the problem by buying folding bikes and carry them in the back of the truck.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
maybe try to put the back rack on the back of your vehicle , they have sevaral types. good luck! g
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We wouldn't put a bike on the back of the trailer because of the potential separation probems... Other options are: inside the trailer or in the truck bed...a folding bike as suggested by Steve...or even a front-of-the-tow-vehicle rack.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
We had a hitch put on the back of our A/S to haul our bikes. Then we read all the posts regarding bike racks and the trailer seperation. We hauled our bikes 1 time and that was it. We now are hauling in the back of the PU. Looking at a front hitch, but are undecided at this point. A fold down bike seems like a good idea, but we already have bikes we like, so don't think that is an option. Also looking at the front of the trailer rack, we have a haha so space is not really a issue. If we did a front of then truck mount, we could use the back of the trailer hitch to store and lock the bikes, as was suggested somewhere else on this forum. Still working on this.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:31 PM   #6

2007 19' Bambi
Colorado Springs , Colorado
We put 3 bikes on top of our Landcruiser. Works very well.
RTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:32 AM   #7
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Thumbs up

If you think 50 or so pounds of bikes on the rear end is going to give you rear end sag you're frame is already in trouble.

I have two on my bumper for 3 years, no problem what so ever.

I know of several others that are doing it longer.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:39 AM   #8
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
There are a variety of reasons for not carrying bikes on the back of an Airstream, but the best one is that it beats the bikes to death. They're exposed to weather and are an easier theft target.

We bought an inexpensive floor rack, and "garage" the bikes inside the trailer when on the road. When we park, the rack goes outside, and so do the bikes; locked together and to the trailer, with the rack, under bar-b-que covers for weather protection.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:42 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
We went with the Thule roof mount for our Chrysler Aspen. Works fine.
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:43 AM   #10
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Have you driven behind a rig with bikes?

Mine are fine.

Put a lock on them

Put a cover on them

Old 09-09-2009, 06:04 AM   #11
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
Have you driven behind a rig with bikes?

Mine are fine.
Yes, Bob, many times. And I've seen wheels fall off, and racks break, other parts fall of the bikes, and all manner of not-so-good things happen that folks don't even know about 'cause it's on the back of the trailer. Further, if you check my signature, my trailer is something other than an Airstream, with a 6" box frame... no rear end sag is even possible... and I STILL won't carry mine on the back of the trailer. I've got too much invested in them. I'm building up a new 60cm touring frame as I write.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:37 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
There are a variety of reasons for not carrying bikes on the back of an Airstream, but the best one is that it beats the bikes to death. They're exposed to weather and are an easier theft target.

We bought an inexpensive floor rack, and "garage" the bikes inside the trailer when on the road. When we park, the rack goes outside, and so do the bikes; locked together and to the trailer, with the rack, under bar-b-que covers for weather protection.

Roger
Inside is an option, but I would think it would make lunch or bathroom breaks in the trailer difficult at best.

I drove behind this trailer for a good 40 miles and the bike road perfectly. Of course it is a custom frame built by the owner. We stopped at the same rest stop and spoke briefly. I believe he said he built it about ten years ago.

Carol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Rack 5 - reduced.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	86895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Rack 6 - reduced.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	86896  

tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:45 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
My used AS came with a rear hitch receiver and I planned o use it to carry our bikes.

Although some folks seem to have done this without problems, many more claimed it would cause damage to the trailer, so in the end, I removed the hitch receiver and never did use it for a bike rack.

I have a hitch receiver mounted on the front of our tow vehicle and carry teh bikes up front.

Have done this for over ten years and it works fine for us.

I found an added benefit on our last trip. I carry my wife's bike with one of those clip on cross bar thingies that allow you to clamp it into a bike rack. Part way thru our trip, I could see that my wife's bike was starting to drop down.

I stopped the truck and found that the crossbar thing had somehow come unclipped and her bike was being held only by bungies.

My guess is that if the bike had been out of sight on the back of the trailer, I would likely have lost it before reaching our destination with who knows what results - not only to the bike, but other road users. The bike was riding with the tire barely an inch off the road when I stopped to check!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I found an added benefit on our last trip. I carry my wife's bike with one of those clip on cross bar thingies that allow you to clamp it into a bike rack. Part way thru our trip, I could see that my wife's bike was starting to drop down.

I stopped the truck and found that the crossbar thing had somehow come unclipped and her bike was being held only by bungies.

My guess is that if the bike had been out of sight on the back of the trailer, I would likely have lost it before reaching our destination with who knows what results - not only to the bike, but other road users. The bike was riding with the tire barely an inch off the road when I stopped to check!

Brian.
Brian, that's one of the best reasons I can think of for NOT carrying bikes on the rear of the trailer.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:26 AM   #15
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallytwo1994 View Post
Inside is an option, but I would think it would make lunch or bathroom breaks in the trailer difficult at best.

I drove behind this trailer for a good 40 miles and the bike road perfectly. Of course it is a custom frame built by the owner. We stopped at the same rest stop and spoke briefly. I believe he said he built it about ten years ago.

Carol
Nice!

If they are tied on good they ride fine.

If they are lose and start bouncing around that 50lbs of bike can become a lot more in weight on the bumper etc.

Done right it works real well, I drove mine over 20,000 miles no worries.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Every time this starts I like to post my favorite picture.

Name:   wally.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  27.4 KB
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Really, the only place there is room for bikes on the outside of an Airstream is on the rear bumper, but I wouldn't carry them there. The rear of any trailer is absolutely the worst ride on the two vehicles and that would cause lots of problems, as well as the additional weight of the bikes and a sufficently strong bike rack would not be good for the trailer. Research "seperation".
I agree!!!

Quote:
I've seen a few bike racks on the front of trailers between the propane bottles and the body, but personally don't see there is enough room. I'd worry about the bikes damaging the trailer.
There is a rack discussed on another thread posted by mojo (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ams-41078.html) that fits over the top of the tanks, but my concern is tight turns and having a shell on the back of the pick-up.

Quote:
We solved the problem by buying folding bikes and carry them in the back of the truck.
I strongly endorse folders, and carry ours, singles and tandem, in the back of the truck. No risk from outside elements - weather, cars in parking lots - and no blockage of airflow to the engine compartment. And no cleaning of critters when the bike acts as a bugscreen. You can also visit this thread along with others regarding folders - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...kes-54780.html

I do suggest that if you get a folder, have your local bike shop (LBS) fit you so you will enjoy the ride. And cheaper is not better - a mid-priced folder will give you more years of service than an inexpensive one. Your LBS will also be able to give you better future service when you need it.

Hugh
flakeyjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #18
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Howie and myself have the same setup

Old 09-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
2021 Atlas
Omaha , Nebraska
I carry mine on the back of the truck. Works great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010114.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	579.1 KB
ID:	86908  
Blevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Stoney Creek , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
Every time this starts I like to post my favorite picture.

Attachment 86907
They say a picture is worth a 1,000 words and this one seems to be worth more. For me , my bikes go through a whole world of heXX when I ride them off road - they can stand a beating if need be on the back of the trailer. And, I have to agree with LI Pets that if the bikes are causing separation or sag, my big aXX is probably causing it to drag on the ground. The physics of momentum aside, the bikes (even in motion) are a lot less than the wife and I fighting over bathroom space in the rear of my AS.

Just my 2 cents.

Alex
astewart is offline   Reply With Quote