Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2016, 06:20 PM   #41
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
For many Airstreamers, we don't want to add to the hitch weight of our trailer because of weight distribution hitch concerns, payload limits of tow vehicle, and keeping under Airstream's 1,000 lb hitch weight maximum.
Tongue weight is a matter of front-to-back balance. Any weight added to the front of the trailer can be offset by weight added to the rear of the trailer, up to the limit of the gross trailer weight.

So a rack mounted to the front of the trailer might still be viable for people watching their tongue weight. The biggest limitation is that if you tow with an SUV or a pickup with a shell, the bike might hit the tow vehicle in a turn, so a front rack is best limited to pickups that don't have shells.

I'm not married to the idea of a front rack, though, so if you don't want to use one, don't. Won't hurt my feelings one little bit. I merely tossed it out as an option to consider.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:28 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I was at Foley RV, AKA Airstream of Mississippi, just yesterday and saw something that might fit the bill. It's a frame that allows you to mount a hitch-mount bike rack on top of your propane cover. They had one in stock, but can order more.

I forgot who makes it, but a call to June Boudreaux, the parts manager at Foley RV, should be able to have one on its way to you in no time.
Yeah- saw those.... I found a couple that do this:

Arvika makes this one: http://www.racksforcars.com/15152/Ar...Inch-Receiver/

Etrailer has one by Stromberg: https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Moto...on/CC-275.html

I went with the original Arvika though, and I am very pleased with the design. Not only is it a great aesthetic compliment to the Airstream, but it's Foldable, detachable, lightweight, attaches to the strongest part of the trailer frame, NOT in the way of my license plate/ trunk/ blinkers/ brake lights, AND I can even quick attache a v-nose cargo box on it for more storage: http://www.racksforcars.com/15147/Ar...ailer-Bracket/

I can easily carry a 2nd, inexpensive folding rack for my 2" receiver and keep it in the car. The Arvika has a conversion kit to transfer, but that solution doesnt make much sense for my use- both for cost/ benefit and functionality.
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:04 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Pleasant Plains , Illinois
I installed a 2" receiver on the front of my F250 and have had no problems with it. It does take some time getting accustomed to seeing a couple of bikes hanging off the front. I looked at some rear mount racks before installing the front receiver, but wasn't comfortable with the way they attached.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:16 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Obscured license plate issue?

Any issues encountered by obscuring the license plate?

Could be beneficial at red light cameras.

And potentially problematic in a state that has toll by license plate if it triggers a trooper to chase you down.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:05 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
Any issues encountered by obscuring the license plate?

Could be beneficial at red light cameras.

And potentially problematic in a state that has toll by license plate if it triggers a trooper to chase you down.

Greg
No.

Nor a problem when towing our utility trailer without a plate which obscures our truck'e rear plate, or carrying load in our truck with the tail gate down.

Perhaps for this reason the red light cameras (really short yellow) catch your front plate (if your state has one), been there.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:08 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
I just located the Fiamma picture I took on the last trip. I took it as it seems with these two townie types, that there is a preferred way. They fit great, tho I had to play with the attachment arms due to the different townie design of the frame...but in the end perfect!

No question the access to storage is a bit limited, but workable. I pull items out and slide them to the right or left.

Love the rack.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7817 (Small).JPG
Views:	153
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	257615  
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:23 AM   #47
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Tongue weight is a matter of front-to-back balance. Any weight added to the front of the trailer can be offset by weight added to the rear of the trailer, up to the limit of the gross trailer weight.

So a rack mounted to the front of the trailer might still be viable for people watching their tongue weight. The biggest limitation is that if you tow with an SUV or a pickup with a shell, the bike might hit the tow vehicle in a turn, so a front rack is best limited to pickups that don't have shells.

I'm not married to the idea of a front rack, though, so if you don't want to use one, don't. Won't hurt my feelings one little bit. I merely tossed it out as an option to consider.
Am I correct in thinking that the added weight (or at least its effect on the TV-TT system) can also be compensated for by adjusting most weight distribution systems?

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:13 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
To some degree yes. You want to watch for max tongue weight- which i believe is 1000lbs on AS, but also depends on the TV capability. Some weight can be compensated by shifting weight aft of the axles to counterbalance and take some weight off the tongue as needed .

Once travel weights are established, THEN you set up your WD hitch toevenly distribute weight by transfer to the front wheels of the TV.
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:39 PM   #49
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Interlachen , Florida
We just installed our Fiamma bike rack. We are confused on how to attach the ratchet straps to the bikes. We were able to attach the first bike, but the second ratchet strap is too short & the angle doesn't seem correct. Any pics on how to?
Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:53 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Charleston , South Carolina
I'm not sure if this is what you mean but I just wrestled with this and finally figured out that the post does rotate at the base (see attached photo). It is very stiff when brand new so grab the base with one hand for support and twist the post with the other. It will break loose and then rotate freely. Hope this helps.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1456887159.934979.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	258051  
FollySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:25 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
While the Fiamma is a great rack I had to tweak it a bit to make it work just right for our bikes. I put in a longer strut for the second/back bike - luckily a piece of PVC pipe matched it in diameter and I made it a couple of inches longer. Now the second bike tilts a bit but it is very secure (sorry no pictures right now.). And as Steve says..it is stiff to begin with but will loosen if twisted.
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:34 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
[LBelle While the Fiamma is a great rack I had to tweak it a bit to make it work just right for our bikes. I put in a longer strut for the second/back bike - luckily a piece of PVC pipe matched it in diameter and I made it a couple of inches longer. Now the second bike tilts a bit but it is very secure (sorry no pictures right now.).]

LBelle, looking forward to the PVC pics when you have time.

I too tweaked it as neither of the townies have the standard horizontal frame bar. Not only did I twist the sweep, but also the attachment head at the end so that the stop/strap aligned with the bar. I also tried it a couple of different ways...which bike in/out and which direction.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:36 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
I decided to get the more adjustable (and longer) arm from Fiamma to allow me just a little more clearance between the bikes. I got the Fiamma Bike Block Pro D1 from amazon.com.uk for an embarrassing $62. In my defense I'm still working full time and am trying to outfit our new Bambi for our maiden trip in April. I spent about 2 hours trying out all combinations before I found one that gave me the clearances I needed to eliminate any rubbing. Once I figure out how to store and post a photo I will do so.
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:10 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
Fiamma Bike Block Pro D1

Here are the photos. You may be able to make out just how tight the two bikes are to one another. The bracket in use is the one that comes with the bike rack. The D1 in the last photo on the table will allow me to slightly angle the outer bike away from the inner one. I may have to make up two brackets to move the outer bike's tire tray out a little as well. This will ever so slightly increase the moment arm of the tray so it is a risk.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1020664.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	305.4 KB
ID:	258065   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020668.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	323.3 KB
ID:	258066  

Name:	P1020670.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	352.7 KB
ID:	258067  
Old 03-02-2016, 04:19 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Charleston , South Carolina
Bosco, looks like you have already done this but I will mention to others that you can also loosen the mounting bolts and slide the tire trays from side to side. This stagger helped us to nestle bike in so that they don't rub. Of course, remember to re-tighten bolts when everything is set. As others have mentioned, clearance is very tight but once set it is a great rack. Really easy and quick to place and remove the bikes.
FollySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:28 AM   #56
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Interlachen , Florida
Thanks for all your replies! We did order a longer clamp from Fiamma that should work. Now just waiting for our time to get on the road!
Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:33 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Eugene , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to Bdinla
Banderabob, thanks for posting those pictures. The Arvika rack looks like a great solution. They make a rack specifically designed to fit an AS coach. Went onto their website to see the installation demo. I especially like the idea of not compromising the skin of the coach (as is necessary with the Fiamma rack), and not hindering access to the rear compartment.
Bdinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:37 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
I did read on another thread where someone had taken their Fiamma bike rack off of their smaller Airstream and placed it onto their new, larger Airstream. They noted that the top bracket that attached to the rear side of the older Airstream had loose screws where they only went into the skin and not the frame member. When they installed it onto the new Airstream they used rivets on the inside holes of the bracket. So each bracket had 2 screws on the outside holes that went into frame and skin and 2 rivets on the inside holes that went into only the skin.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:49 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Fresno , California
Front mount

Name:	IMG_2905.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	676.3 KB
ID:	259711
We bought a front mount hitch from thehitchstore.com The bikes bounce a bit so I usually stop once during the trip to tighten the bike rack. Visibility might be an issue for some. My wife says she can't see but it doesn't bother me.
bullet661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:41 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet661 View Post
Attachment 259711
We bought a front mount hitch from thehitchstore.com The bikes bounce a bit so I usually stop once during the trip to tighten the bike rack. Visibility might be an issue for some. My wife says she can't see but it doesn't bother me.
I would check with the CHP to see if that obstructed vision might cause one of their officers to cite you. Would be a a shame to have to deal with that mid-trip.