Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2021, 07:43 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Still waiting to see an example of a rear bike rack causing frame separation on a modern airstream. There’s a lot of rear bike racks out there now. Some have been on for a few years with thousands of miles. There are lots of stories about old trailers that have been sitting for years with the floors rotted out, that have frame separation, but I don’t these can be attributed to a couple of bicycles on a rear hitch rack.
I have no idea if a rear hitch causes separation or not. I’m just pointing out that the posted response from Airstream doesn’t sound like a ringing endorsement for it. Given that there is no Airstream approved hitch mounted rack I wouldn’t have much faith in that response.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:08 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
I have no idea if a rear hitch causes separation or not. I’m just pointing out that the posted response from Airstream doesn’t sound like a ringing endorsement for it. Given that there is no Airstream approved hitch mounted rack I wouldn’t have much faith in that response.
Tend to agree. I would love to see an AS endorsement for hitch mount option, but there is none I am aware of. Your on your own.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 03:09 PM   #63

2020 19' Caravel
Bakersfield , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandMCTexas View Post
If regular pedal bikes, the Arvika is a great rack. I've used the same one with three different TTs, my Airstream FC 30 being the latest. Recently my wife wanted an e-bike, which is too heavy for the Arvika, so I mounted a hitch on the front of my truck and use a Thule tray rack that can handle the weight. The Arvika is in the garage now, but if we go on a trip where my wife agrees to bring the regular bike again, this will be my go-to rack.
What is the weight limit for the Arvika, assuming you use the front support. I have not been able to find that.
Thanks.
Skyskidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:46 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Torklift and AS dealers

I talked to a couple of dealers that Torklift identified as having received AS-specific receiver hitch kits in the past. More than a few. Neither of the two would speak for AS and say these are approved. Both said the kits are installed at customer request without reservation.

I find myself weakening in my untested conviction that AS knows what they are doing and would have endorsed the receiver hitches if they were really all that. My Fiamma is OK, no problems so far, but am limited in the ebike category. If I can sort out the shipping to Alaska, I may take the Torklift AS-specific plunge on a test basis, as the hitch is mounted out of sight on our 5" frame. Could remove it later based on whether it seems to be stable or not.

Stay tuned; might have a Fiamma for sale. Plan C would be to reinforce the Fiamma.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:20 AM   #65
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
2004 33' Land Yacht Gas 33
Walkerton , Virginia
I just installed the torklift hitch to carry my 2 bikes. Very impressed with ease of installation, detailed instructions and quality of the unit-seems rock solid.
bgwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:26 AM   #66
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Morristown , New Jersey
Isn't it concerning that a ~100-150lb bike rack hanging on a receiver hitch can cause frame separation issues? Are they really building the main frame rails to such low standards? It's really hard to believe....

I'm debating about going with a t-slot tonneau cover and using that to install a rack over that as others have said. Only issue is that they run around $2000 before the rack. Also worried about theft of very nice road bikes. Happy to buy a full frame cover for them to help with the elements...
alexaqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:19 AM   #67
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Tend to agree. I would love to see an AS endorsement for hitch mount option, but there is none I am aware of. Your on your own.
I’m thinking that AS is just hitting the easy button here. Seriously what’s easier for them? No risk at all to just “not” endorse it.
Still waiting to hear of, or see the first documented frame separation due to two bikes on frame mounted receiver hitch.
I’m a big risk taker though.
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:29 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
AS trailer hitch endorsement??

Not sure why there is no AS endorsement, except folks have been asking/doing this type modification for several years, if you look back on the Forum and other places....some successfully, some not so successfully. My guess is liability and fact the AS was not designed to tow something else or carry a rack in the back for generators/storage either? Not a "toy hauler" mentality with an AS I suppose, but most folks do not buy it to hang a trailer hitch on when they purchase...if thats the goal, there are other solutions; bike rack options, or not. But, it's like the WDH or TV size arguments..."everyone has an opinion" and folks are "gonna do what folks are gonna do"!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 04-23-2021, 09:27 PM   #69
2020 2500HD Duramax

2020 27' International
Martin City , Montana
Installed a torkift on my 27 FBQ with Hatch. Consulted a trailer fabricator he said this setup should actually strengthen the frame. Not sure but it makes sense. I used an RV approved Kuat Transport V2 bike rack. Bike rack tilts down to allow hatch clearance. The setup worked great on my last trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A76E952A-4607-49F9-83B1-6FF6A0EB3A22.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	460.6 KB
ID:	393972   Click image for larger version

Name:	5DDDF935-E561-469C-BE13-CFD6BB3F57FA.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	498.3 KB
ID:	393973  

Smokey2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:17 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
kent , Washington
+1 on Torklift. I've had it installed for 4 years ago and it works great. With bikes mounted I have access to both the bumper and rear compartment. Also, I added 3" lift this year. I have my sway control pretty much dialed in, so sway has not been a problem. As for frame separation, I'm not too concerned that 2 bikes, on a trailer only used a few weeks a year will cause much of a problem.
stunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:24 AM   #71
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Not sure why there is no AS endorsement, except folks have been asking/doing this type modification for several years, if you look back on the Forum and other places....some successfully, some not so successfully.
To my knowledge, the problems have been with sway and too much weight in back. That’s a very real concern. I’d be very careful putting weight on the back of a 23FB, but I have no problem with two bikes on on a 25FB.
Still no cases (I’ve heard of) of frame separation. Are you aware of any?

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:33 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
To my knowledge, the problems have been with sway and too much weight in back. That’s a very real concern. I’d be very careful putting weight on the back of a 23FB, but I have no problem with two bikes on on a 25FB.
Still no cases (I’ve heard of) of frame separation. Are you aware of any?
I think there have been a post or 2 I have seen over the years that talked about separation; not sure year or model. I think the added "sway" factor after traveling behind a few SOB's is not a good thing, especially with the larger AS's. The Fiama design is pretty solid IMHO. Again, I don't think anyone has purchased an AS with adding a trailer hitch as main goal...my thoughts are once it's added, you open the door for lots of options any of which may add unwanted sway in the rear...not for me.

I see these "add on's" not only on AS or SOB's; I remember we had a Casita for a year or 2 after our first AS 25'; I went to Glacier that summer and saw 2 different Casitas with the trailer hitch and storage racks added in the back; one had a generator and the other a storage box and bike rack...from the side, it looked very unbalanced for sure. I think those who are putting these on, the jury is still out as to how much sway/stress these can cause behind an AS...perhaps some of our "PE" friends here can share thoughts on the this with a couple of calculations...say a bike rack with 70lbs of bikes+ 12" distance to rack from rear bumper+ 20" of rack itself and factor sway at 65mph. How much additional force would this add to axel's and/or pivot point (hitch); not sure how much affect to the frame of an AS today vs 10 year old model?
Old 04-24-2021, 10:41 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Had Cliffs Welding in Mesa AZ (same folks KYD used) install a custom receiver for my bike rack. They did a super job, so if your out that way and want it done they have it figured out.

FWIW told the local airstream dealer and the service advisor didn’t react to my doing it at all. No endorsement to be clear but also no “what the heck are you thinking” either.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote