Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2021, 10:48 AM   #41
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Lincoln , Nebraska
I carry two E-bikes on Yakama racks over my truck bed cover. It allows me to use the truck bed for storage.. Works perfectly.
gordonopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:09 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
West Windsor , Vermont
The Fiamma rack works fine (25K miles) and is the only one engineered (according to Airstream) to work with the existing trailer frame. Keep in mind the total weight of the bike or bikes is not to exceed 77 lbs or it will break away as designed.
Peterf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:51 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Bountiful , UT
We attached a four bike rack over the bed of the truck. We have full usage of the cover. This seems to work great for us. We use the tailgate as the platform to load and unload the bikes so we do not scratch the side of the bed up.
56ovalwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 02:21 PM   #44
1 Rivet Member

Estes Park , Colorado
Fiama bike rack - it is made for Airstream - we love ours.
EstesPark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:41 PM   #45
2020 2500HD Duramax

2020 27' International
Martin City , Montana
I am looking at buying an Arvika rack for my 2020 27' International Serenity. It has a rear hatch therefore need to mount up front. I called Arvika and they explained these are designed for the Airstream and they have a version that accomodates the front storage compartment. Can you confirm if this is a quality product? Also, can you open the propane tank lid when bikes are on the trailer?
Smokey2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:48 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Get a shop to make up a hitch tube, connected to the Airstream frame, then slide one of these into the hitch tube.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...VcYDy8Q8wIIkAk
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 05:08 PM   #47
2020 2500HD Duramax

2020 27' International
Martin City , Montana
Arvika claims to have a mount that allows 13" of clearance for the front storage bin. They designed it for the Tommy Bahama which has the rear hatch and front storage. Is this not the case?
Old 03-17-2021, 05:10 PM   #48

2020 19' Caravel
Bakersfield , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelerUSC View Post
The Arvika rack only works if you don’t have storage behind the propane tanks. We have a 25 FC25FBT with storage behind the propane tanks.

Anyone want to buy complete Arvika system, never used, in SoCal?
I may be interested in the Arvika system. Please let me know what you have and what you want for it. Thanks skyskidad@gmail.com
Skyskidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 03:08 AM   #49
Little Silver Nugget ™

2020 16' Bambi
Warren , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspirito View Post
I would like to buy a bike rack for my Flying Cloud 26 U.
Any suggestions of products that you are using and find exceptional would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Predicament with 2020 and no bumper. Glad I researched before investing in Fiamma®️ https://airstreamsupplycompany.com/p...kes-by-fiamma/

Found "Let's Go Areo Jack-It"®️ Dble Bike Carrier (Lippert Components) for less than half the price of the "bumpered" solutions. Also, has an accessory which doubles as a regular bike rack for the vehicle when not traveling with the Aistream (but who really wants to adventure without their Airstream).
Attached Images

rossijfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:37 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
2021 25' Globetrotter
Canandaigua , NC
https://torkliftcentral.com/airstrea...ry-hitch-x8000
TeckTavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 04:12 PM   #51
G-Ranch

1970 25' Tradewind
Smyrna , Georgia
Simplistic Solution

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Y’all are way over thinking this. Hook your boat to the trailer hitch at the back of the Airstream. Put the bikes in the boat. Cover if you think it’s necessary. 😉
G-Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 04:51 PM   #52
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Prosper , Texas
If regular pedal bikes, the Arvika is a great rack. I've used the same one with three different TTs, my Airstream FC 30 being the latest. Recently my wife wanted an e-bike, which is too heavy for the Arvika, so I mounted a hitch on the front of my truck and use a Thule tray rack that can handle the weight. The Arvika is in the garage now, but if we go on a trip where my wife agrees to bring the regular bike again, this will be my go-to rack.
MandMCTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:16 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Brush Prairie , WA
We installed a receiver hitch to our Tommy Bahama which is designed with the rear hatch. Kuat bike rack to swing away to accommodate the hatch opening etc. We also have a 3 inch lift which helps.
1 Ebike and 1 standard mountain bike at 110lbs total. Rides perfect and sway has not been noticeable or an issue.
Installed by Airstream so I don't understand all the excitement over the receiver hitch installation.
I took it over the scales and everything weight wise is in limits.
Why would an AS dealership install something that would void the warranty or otherwise compromise safety risking a lawsuit?

I agree with a previous post. Don't over think it.

My 2 Lincolns
Knotflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:03 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
Everything Included?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyglen View Post
All too much debate on this topic.

If you have an Airstream with the rear “storage” bumper, and no storage compartment (under a queen bed), then the best rack is the approved FIAMA rack recommended by Airstream.

Can be ordered thru an Airstream dealer (we used Colonial), and easily installed by yourself.
Weight is borne by the rear frame of the trailer, with upper braces fastened to struts either side of the rear window.

I recommend adding a self-tapping screw under each brace once installed correctly to keep the arm from vibrating down and possible breaking the cast aluminum bracket connecting to. The trailer.

Photo attached.
I like how this looks. Does it come with all the hardware required for instillation? Does not look like there is much to it. Did you have to have any sealant for the screws that go into the struts?
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:33 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotflying View Post
We installed a receiver hitch to our Tommy Bahama which is designed with the rear hatch. Kuat bike rack to swing away to accommodate the hatch opening etc. We also have a 3 inch lift which helps.
1 Ebike and 1 standard mountain bike at 110lbs total. Rides perfect and sway has not been noticeable or an issue.
Installed by Airstream so I don't understand all the excitement over the receiver hitch installation.
I took it over the scales and everything weight wise is in limits.
Why would an AS dealership install something that would void the warranty or otherwise compromise safety risking a lawsuit?

I agree with a previous post. Don't over think it.

My 2 Lincolns
My guess is that Airstream does not recommend it because Of frame separation issues not because of safety. If and when it becomes an issue your warranty will be long over.
There have been a couple of posts where some reported sway issues after adding a rear hitch and bike rack but it seems to be more on the smaller units. I would think 2 bikes and a rack would have a bigger effect on a 16 then a 27.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:16 PM   #56
2020 2500HD Duramax

2020 27' International
Martin City , Montana
Hitch Rack

Decided to go with the Torklift hitch (bolts on) which is engineered for an Airstream. Also, ordered the RV designed kuat 2 bike rack that drops forward to allow for the Hatch to open. I pull my 2020 International 27' with a 2500 HD Duramax therefore should not have a problem with sway etc. It will add a total of 130 pounds to the rear of the trailer.

I could not go with the other front mounted solutions due to storage compartment in the front.

Thanks for the Torklift "link"!
Old 03-20-2021, 05:10 PM   #57
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Napa , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougfrank View Post
Putting a hitch on the front of your TV is the best solution (other than inside the TV). Then choose a bike carrier that does not obstruct your view while driving - of course.
I use a 1up product that is superb! https://www.1up-usa.com/
Completely Agree. I built a very stable rack system to load my 2 Trek ebikes into my 2016 classic 30. Worked well, but was a total pain the the a$$. Just installed a Curt front hitch yesterday on my F250. Works GREAT.
Dave001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:00 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Brush Prairie , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
KYD has this one and it's been perfect.
No, they didn't listen to the naysayers.
For those concerned about your warranty being voided when installing the receiver, this is what I got back from Airstream.

"Good morning,

As long as the dealer puts it on then No it doesn't, if you do it and anything goes wrong then it would void some parts of your Airstream, Anytime a customer does an after market modification and something goes wrong they void that point of the warranty. So if you install it then have an issue with the bumper later down the road then the bumper would not be covered. As long as the dealer does it then that warranty would be covered under the dealer. Please make sure that the bike rack is Airstream approved.

Thanks."
Knotflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:26 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotflying View Post
For those concerned about your warranty being voided when installing the receiver, this is what I got back from Airstream.

"Good morning,

As long as the dealer puts it on then No it doesn't, if you do it and anything goes wrong then it would void some parts of your Airstream, Anytime a customer does an after market modification and something goes wrong they void that point of the warranty. So if you install it then have an issue with the bumper later down the road then the bumper would not be covered. As long as the dealer does it then that warranty would be covered under the dealer. Please make sure that the bike rack is Airstream approved.

Thanks."
For those that are concerned about frame separation from installing a rear hitch if and when that becomes an issue your warranty will probably have expired so I don’t see much concern from Airstream on this.
I think this might be a response from Airstream concerning self installation of a Fiamma rack vs. having the dealer do it.
If you take this as endorsement by Airstream to have a rear hitch installed I would suggest sending a follow up email asking for a list of Airstream approved racks.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:41 AM   #60
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
For those that are concerned about frame separation from installing a rear hitch if and when that becomes an issue your warranty will probably have expired so I don’t see much concern from Airstream on this.
I think this might be a response from Airstream concerning self installation of a Fiamma rack vs. having the dealer do it.
If you take this as endorsement by Airstream to have a rear hitch installed I would suggest sending a follow up email asking for a list of Airstream approved racks.
Still waiting to see an example of a rear bike rack causing frame separation on a modern airstream. There’s a lot of rear bike racks out there now. Some have been on for a few years with thousands of miles. There are lots of stories about old trailers that have been sitting for years with the floors rotted out, that have frame separation, but I don’t these can be attributed to a couple of bicycles on a rear hitch rack.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote