Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2016, 06:39 PM   #1

2012 27' FB International
Fort Bragg , California
Big Northwest Adventure....

Just returned from a much awaited month-long adventure in our 2012, 27' AS International. We bought new but have only been weekenders up until now. Only problems we've had up until now have been replacing batteries and a few minor issues. We were headed to Banff and Jasper. 3rd night out we were in Bend, OR when we lost all power. Called our Dealer in Eugene; they said it was the GFI, so I replaced it. It was not the GFI. Next they said it was a recall item with the outside plug. I tried to fix but ended up driving to Eugene and they fixed it($140). Also incurred cost of lost campsite in Bend etc.. We continued on to Banff; made it another 3 nights before all power went out again. This time I was able to move to the other plug and power came back. Each time we lost power, I'd switch to the other plug and power was restored. That worked for about 2 weeks and then nothing.....nada. We were in Jasper without any power. I called our dealer in Eugene, they thought it was the Transfer Switch but said I should contact an expert at Airstream to discuss. Expert was apparently too busy to discuss but I got a young lady there and she agreed it sounded like the Transfer Switch. So, I searched and found a new Airstream Dealer outside of Calgary. Drove about 200 miles and got the Transfer Switch replaced ($460). That worked for another week. We now have one plug that works, the other is dead. Not trusting the trailer any longer, we pulled the plug and came home.
Yes, it was an adventure; one my wife doesn't want to repeat.
ZBugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:17 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
airstream , zero
Goodness! Disappointment after disappointment.
Zeitlupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:45 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Wow! Very sorry to hear that. Please let us know what the issue ended up being.

A lot of disappointing moments, I'm sure.
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote