Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2005, 09:11 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Best Yosmite Campground for familys?

Here's my question. I need a recommendation for a Yosmite campground that will work for my trailer and family. I want to stay in the park, have a 31' long trailer, a 4 year old boy, and 2 small dogs. I'm planning a 4 day stay in early June 2006.

Thanks,
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:00 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
Valley Springs , California
Steve,

My wife and I stay in Yosemite at least twice per year. There are two RV friendly locations near the back of the park. Lower Pines and Upper Pines. Lower Pines is next to the river and the spaces are hard to get. We have always stayed in Upper Pines. There is a limited number of sites for a 31 ft trailer though. No hookups and no sewer either. It would be a good idea to check availability early as last spring I heard the campgrounds got washed out due to flooding.

Bob Klope
Clovis, Ca
1948 Liner
48_liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 01:17 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Bob,

According to my CA campground book Upper Pines looks like the best bet since it allows pets and we'll have both of our dogs with us. I'll double check whether it's been repaired or not.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:10 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2002 25' Safari
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Heywood
Here's my question. I need a recommendation for a Yosmite campground that will work for my trailer and family. I want to stay in the park, have a 31' long trailer, a 4 year old boy, and 2 small dogs. I'm planning a 4 day stay in early June 2006.

Thanks,
Steve we were there Sept. 04 and max length allowed was 24'. We told them a friends 28' was 24' & got away with it but a 31 might not fly. They figure the total length(car & trailer). Best give them a call & make a reservation as suggested & check the length rule.
Bucky-23 Safari
Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
RV Today

In the last week or so, RV Today (on RFD TV on Dishnetwork) did a segment on staying in Yosemite during the winter (I know, this thread is directed at staying during June). They said the roads are cleared, and instead of hiking in.... you snowshoe or x-country ski into the park. They mentioned some CG's outside the park that have shuttle buses to the park on a regular basis. My question is....has anyone done Yosemite during the winter months? I've never done Yosemite......and woould think that wintertime would be a great time to visit (we're in Oregon) to avoid the crowds. My AS is winterized.....but I may get itchy feet to travel as winter closes in !

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:44 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
2005 28' International CCD
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
My question is....has anyone done Yosemite during the winter months? I've never done Yosemite......and woould think that wintertime would be a great time to visit (we're in Oregon) to avoid the crowds. My AS is winterized.....but I may get itchy feet to travel as winter closes in !
Winter is my favorite time of year to visit Yos. No crowds (well, relatively, there are no crowds compared to summer and spring), the Awahnee hotel is gorgeous with snow around it, not to mention El Capitan etc. It's great to XC ski up to Glacier Point, or you can ski to one of the huts backcountry and stay overnight. I'd recommend hooking up your trailer outside of Yos so you can have full hookups and take a week or so to really explore Yos, esp if you have never been. (btw, I have some pics posted here of our last visit there: http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-v34jyd starting around pic# 90 or so). A lot of the waterfalls are in full force in the winter. Make sure you bring CHAINS even if you have 4x4, b/c in a storm, you will be required to carry them, even if you don't need em. Some NP regulation, go figure. If you want more places to see/things to do in the winter, just let me know!

We stayed at Yosemite Pines (http://www.yosemitepinesrv.com/) and enjoyed our stay there. It is about 25 miles from the park entrance on Hwy 120. But there is a closer campground, only about 5 miles from the entrance, called Yosemite Lakes Resort, (209) 962-0121 (800) 533-1001 or www.1000trails.com. Haven't stayed at Yos Lakes Res, so couldn't recommend. But we would recommend Yos Pines, although it's a little bit far. Note that once you get to the entrance of the park, it's still a good 40 minute drive to get to the valley floor. So perhaps Yos Lakes outside of the park is more convenient.

Have fun!

-Mike
Titus Moto Lite, Nerve Cruiser
Mike, Angela, the kiddies & 10 yr old puppy, Kenzie, our Golden Retriever and best friend ever
sarmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmimi
Winter is my favorite time of year to visit Yos. No crowds (well, relatively, there are no crowds compared to summer and spring), the Awahnee hotel is gorgeous with snow around it, not to mention El Capitan etc. It's great to XC ski up to Glacier Point, or you can ski to one of the huts backcountry and stay overnight. I'd recommend hooking up your trailer outside of Yos so you can have full hookups and take a week or so to really explore Yos, esp if you have never been. (btw, I have some pics posted here of our last visit there: http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-v34jyd starting around pic# 90 or so).
Mike,
Thanks for the link....but couldn't find your pics of Yos.......I need more specific info on where they are. BTW, have you had any bites on your 28' CCD yet? Again, we had the most response from Airstream.com classifieds. Sorry to hear your're selling ! We are still enjoying ours!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote