Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2018, 09:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Petaluma , California
Best way to pack gear into TV and trailer?

Hello,

We are leaving in a week for a 10 day total road trip. We are 2 adults and 2 kids and a small dog so we have quite a bit of stuff. I’m looking for some advice on how to properly and safely load my TV and trailer full of our gear (clothes, food/drink, cooler, generator, kids bikes, firewood, tools, spare parts, etc).. should we evenly distribute load between TV and trailer? I understand my trucks Payload and the Maximum weight of the airstream and I won’t be going over that. I feel like I may be overthinking it, but it seems weight distribution is pretty critical so I’m trying to ensure I do all I can to prevent anything bad from happening. Thanks
cgseanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
My bias is to put as much of the weight in the truck as is possible. Even if it is over “payload”. I would load things in the trailer with the weight over or in front of the wheels. I would be very careful about things that might damage the trailer if they bounce around. I would put things in the trailer in plastic boxes with lids. In general I thing the truck will carry a overload for a short trip like yours if it comes to that.

I guess it is easier for us. No children. No bicycles. No grill. No firewood. And we go 4 months at a time. We do go to Walmart a lot.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:18 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgseanp View Post
Hello,
(clothes, food/drink, cooler, generator, kids bikes, firewood, tools, spare parts, etc)
Please don't transport firewood. Acquire at the campground or very local to the campground. Transporting firewood has been responsible for the spread of pests such as the emerald ash borer.

Alas, I'm still working on restoring the trailer so I have no experience to offer on packing things into it.
TheOhioSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:20 AM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Well, with a 21' trailer you'd have to get pretty extreme with the trailer loading to get things far out of whack unless the trailer is borderline to begin with (and Airstreams tend to be tongue-heavy to help with that.) Think in terms of how you'll use stuff as well as where the weight is... Outdoor cooking equipment, bicycles, patio furniture etc. all makes sense in the truck. Clothes, food, etc. that you'll be using INSIDE the trailer makes more sense there. Generators in the truck, if you need one, they can be smelly. If we're going on a trip that involves an ice chest, we tend to carry that under the table at the front of the trailer and we have an insulated carrying bag for booze that usually rides there as well because low+forward is best both for weight and for the longevity of those bottles.

You've been across the scales with the trailer loaded, right? That's where you get the real idea of how the weight is working out.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOhioSean View Post
Please don't transport firewood. Acquire at the campground or very local to the campground. Transporting firewood has been responsible for the spread of pests such as the emerald ash borer.

Alas, I'm still working on restoring the trailer so I have no experience to offer on packing things into it.
I actually have a bunch of heat treated mahagony, so there should be no pests. Some of my wood is too warped to use so I figured I’d chop it up and use it.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:24 AM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
No fires - it is too dry and hazardous for campfires. Just don't do it. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Nothing wrong with the firewood or fires in the right place. I do not like to add much weight in the trailer.

Where you headed? You certainly live in an interesting part of the country.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:49 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Petaluma , California
Since this is our first trip with the trailer, we are staying semi local to home... we are going to trinity lake KOA, then Klamath falls KOA, then Reno, Silver lake near yosemite and one final stop in Santa Cruz on way home. We made plans way late so we ended up not having many options, which is why we chose the KOAs.. plus if we have any issues we aren’t too far from civilization. Silver lake is our only non hookup campground, which I am actually looking forward to h most.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:17 PM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Nothing wrong with the firewood or fires in the right place. -- snip --
Very wrong! There is no right place in the West.

A car backfire on a four lane road started a 200 acre fire that threatened a University and two neighborhoods this weekend. It was contained with four large jet air tankers and a similar number of water hauling choppers. Crews stayed on site, but it restarted overnight. The conditions are bad. Calfire is still fighting one to the North of the Bay area.

No fires. No sparks (raise your safety chains so they do not drag).

This is serious! Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I don’t weight the truck down with too much stuff in the bed. But I have a 28’. My tongue weight is already 900lbs. So I simply try to even out the weight. If I do put anything heavy in the AS I try to put it over the wheels to balance out the trailer. I don’t drive with much water in the fresh water tank (maybe 5 to 10 gallons). Just enough to use the bathroom. I make sure the black and grey water tanks are about empty. Sometimes you may want to have some water in the Black water tank to sort of wash it out a bit as you drive, but not much. Water is heavy (8lbs a gallon). On my 28’ the tanks are located over the wheels. Not sure on a 21’. I imagine the same.

The things I put in the Truck: tools, gas tanks, generator(s), grill, extra oil for generators, lawn chairs (2), etc. Once in awhile I’ll bring a very light aluminum ladder. Never know when it comes in handy. Everything else goes in the AS. If I need more room in the the TV I might put the generator in the hallway of the AS over the wheels. My honda generators only weigh about 48lbs a piece. Most of the time I just carry one for emergencies.

Water hoses, sewage hoses, extra extension cords, blocks, etc in the rear storage compartment of the AS. Bikes are on the front of truck on bike rack. But all food and clothes, etc is in the AS. By the way have a 20 AMP plug and long cord in AS. Some places only have 20 AMP service.

It’s really not that complicated. Just make sure not to get the tail too heavy. Keep more weight to the front to prevent any sway. No big mystery.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Very wrong! There is no right place in the West.

A car backfire on a four lane road started a 200 acre fire that threatened a University and two neighborhoods this weekend. It was contained with four large jet air tankers and a similar number of water hauling choppers. Crews stayed on site, but it restarted overnight. The conditions are bad. Calfire is still fighting one to the North of the Bay area.

No fires. No sparks (raise your safety chains so they do not drag).

This is serious! Pat
31 days and counting on the 416 fire in Durango. 49,000 acres and $26.4 million in fire fighting costs. None of us can breathe due to unhealthy smoke conditions.

But of course the tourists need their trains and campfires. This fire was probably caused by the train although campers haven't been ruled out.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Petaluma , California
Thanks for advice.. and, ok on the fire thing. I live about 20 miles from where the fires hit last year in Northern CA. I understand how dangerous they are. I only intended to have small fires in dedicated camp sites at KOA.. but I’ll scratch the idea.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:58 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
31 days and counting on the 416 fire in Durango. 49,000 acres and $26.4 million in fire fighting costs. None of us can breathe due to unhealthy smoke conditions.

But of course the tourists need their trains and campfires. This fire was probably caused by the train although campers haven't been ruled out.

If it's the same fire I read about earlier today, a 52-year old Danish illegal immigrant is believed to be the culprit. He's been arrested for arson.
TheOhioSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:34 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOhioSean View Post
If it's the same fire I read about earlier today, a 52-year old Danish illegal immigrant is believed to be the culprit. He's been arrested for arson.
Different fire. That one is already up to 53,000 acres. There are about a half dozen currently burning in Colorado alone.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
This is more about packing than loading. We like small plastic bins to keep similar items together. Save hours looking and saying "I know I packed it, where is it". Also, try and alway pack things in the same place so next trip you will know where "x" is located. Sounds silly but the first few trips we made my wife and I would waste so much time looking for things that we knew we had packed. Our old Trade Wind has lots of storage and lots of places to misplace small items.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:44 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgseanp View Post
Silver lake is our only non hookup campground, which I am actually looking forward to h most.
If you mean the Silver Lake on the June Lake loop, it is breathtaking. And there is a privately run campground across the street with a great little store and a diner so if you need something that's really convenient.

Dont miss the the Ohana365 food truck parked in the June Lake Brewing parking.

It's super dry but last I was there (2 weeks ago) fires are permitted. We carry a Solo Bonfire stove so I dont worry too much about using it reaponsibly in drier conditions.

If you need more details on local area things to do, or fishing, or whatever, hit me up. We live in Mammoth part time and spend a lot of time camping and living up here.
mammothmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:47 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Read somewhere that you can tow 10 lbs for every 1 lb you can carry in the TV.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:32 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Jackson , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I would load things in the trailer with the weight over or in front of the wheels.

I have been amazed at what a difference this makes!
marciekaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:45 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
Not a weight issue, but when travelling with our grandsons, they each have a plastic storage box. Everything they bring including clothes must fit into the box. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't go. Depending on the kid's age, packing clothes by day in zip locs can make life a lot easier. Also plan on doing laundry on the trip.

For our dog, we have a small backpack (small dog) that has all the dog stuff (except food) in it. Tie outs, bowls, leashes, lights (for night walks) and such are in that backpack. Helps keep like things together and easy to find.

As far as loading our truck, heavier items go as far forward as possible with frequently used items as far back as possible. We have bike racks that go over the bed.

Have fun.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:58 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
We just got back from 2+ weeks in Ouray and dealt with the smoke from 461 for several days while there. We drove south on 550 and a lot of the fire fighters were still there. It is sad how dry it is all over the area. Blue Mesa and Ridgeway Reservoir are both down about 40 feet. Been going there since the 70's and never seen it like that. They had predicted a good soaking from Bob but it didn't happen. That whole area needs our prayers and vigilance. Watch those fires!
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote