Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2020, 06:08 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
lake Wales , Florida
best travel tools and information

We are newbies. In fact, have not picked up our new FC25 but soon. We are now trip planning. For our first outings, we are going local to learn the systems and hopefully shake out any bugs. Soon we are heading north for 2 months, then west to Montana for a few more, then back to FLORIDA for the winter. How do you select a overnight spot. We probably would just spend the night and head out the next morning. Should we call ahead and get a reservation? What places are the most reliable? Safety issues?

What if I cannot find a RV park or camp site and it is getting late? Do you use use Walmart as a back up place? Can you stay overnight in an Interstate rest area? I see many jammed with truckers, others not. Do you stop early so you find a place and have time to set up? Just need some of your sage advice. We live in the east but have spend many years working in the Western mountain areas. Family in Montana.

thanks.
Flathead1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
You should get many opinions here. For us, we prefer Cracker Barrel to Walmart, seems quieter and safer. Just park, go in, ask the manager, and plan to eat at least a meal in the restaurant. Allstays can help you locate places for a quick overnight. You can check the web for State rules on rest areas, some allow it, other do not.
We never wait that late to find a place because I want to be settled and resting by dinnertime. Don't forget that this forum and WBCCI have courtesy parking, if you plan ahead.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
+1 on Cracker Barrel. We use an app called all stays to help us identify quick overnight spots. We never do an RV camp ground for one night, it is a three night minimum for us to go through the effort of setting up and breaking down. That being said, we end up staying at Cracker Barrel’s, Cabellas, big bass pro shop, or National Forest (can find other great free spots on campendium app as well). We have stayed at Walmart’s, rest stops, and truck stops as well but more as a last case or we just need a quick rest.

It’s simple for safety. We drive in and if it doesn’t look safe or feel safe, we end up just moving on. Takes only one of us to say let’s keep going.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There is a lot of information on these forums about such things, so maybe do a search and settle in for some reading.

That said...I like the PocketEarth and AllStays apps, and to generally decide each morning how far to drive that day and to select my overnight spot.

Call ahead will usually get you something, but this may be an unusual year for several reasons so always have adequate water and propane so you are prepared to spend the night in a parking lot if you can’t find what you want.

Have a great time, and stay safe.

Maggie
Old 05-23-2020, 07:55 AM   #5
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
When I was a newbie, I did not know my trailer, did not feel confident in backing up, did not yet have a routine for hitching and unhitching, food prep, trailer-get-ready-to-move prep, none of it.
I started by staying at KOA camps with full hookups. I tested and operated everything. I talked to other campers, especially Airstreamers, and learned tips and tricks for everything from dumping tanks to deploying the awning to selecting the right toilet paper.
No camping classes are held in parking lots. Start with campgrounds, learn your rig. Use RVTripwizard, Waze, Campendium, GasBuddy, Weather, WeatherBug, Windy, and other apps. Get CoachNet. Talk to FCIS Insurance. Think about HarvestHost and KOA memberships. Stay away from Thousand Trails.
Review your route for the next day before leaving camp. Get familiar with the exits, the gas stations (use Google satellite to ensure you can get in and out) and look at the campground. Have a plan B in the back of your mind. Arrive and set up before dark whenever possible. Don't be afraid to stay in camp an extra day to avoid bad weather.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I used to drive long hours and arrive in the dark.
But today, campgrounds close the office after 5:30 so you don't know if there's a space.
Any more, I pull into a rest area about 4PM and consult the Allstays app of what's in the area. Then I call and make a reservation. I try to arrive while it's light and the office is still manned.
I can get anywhere with two apps, Allstays and Gas Buddy.
I have lots of planning tools, but they seem to go out the window as soon as I start.
If you have a co-pilot, you're way ahead. He or she can call while you drive. I can't drive while so distracted by maps and apps.
KOA's are popular, but often are overpriced for what I want. $65 for the night? No thanks. There's lots of small mom and pop hidden gems and the Allstays app has reviews. I've often found a pull through with 50 amp power and water for $28.
Just passing through? I don't even unhook, just hook up power and have a frosty adult beverage.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I used to drive long hours and arrive in the dark.
But today, campgrounds close the office after 5:30 so you don't know if there's a space.
Any more, I pull into a rest area about 4PM and consult the Allstays app of what's in the area. Then I call and make a reservation. I try to arrive while it's light and the office is still manned.
I can get anywhere with two apps, Allstays and Gas Buddy.
I have lots of planning tools, but they seem to go out the window as soon as I start.
If you have a co-pilot, you're way ahead. He or she can call while you drive. I can't drive while so distracted by maps and apps.
KOA's are popular, but often are overpriced for what I want. $65 for the night? No thanks. There's lots of small mom and pop hidden gems and the Allstays app has reviews. I've often found a pull through with 50 amp power and water for $28.
Just passing through? I don't even unhook, just hook up power and have a frosty adult beverage.
If its a cool night we like to overnight at Cracker-barrel. Grab a nice meal and a cool beer after.
If I need the AC its an RV park just to hook up the power.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:01 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Trip Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead1984 View Post
We are newbies. In fact, have not picked up our new FC25 but soon. We are now trip planning. For our first outings, we are going local to learn the systems and hopefully shake out any bugs. Soon we are heading north for 2 months, then west to Montana for a few more, then back to FLORIDA for the winter. How do you select a overnight spot. We probably would just spend the night and head out the next morning. Should we call ahead and get a reservation? What places are the most reliable? Safety issues?

What if I cannot find a RV park or camp site and it is getting late? Do you use use Walmart as a back up place? Can you stay overnight in an Interstate rest area? I see many jammed with truckers, others not. Do you stop early so you find a place and have time to set up? Just need some of your sage advice. We live in the east but have spend many years working in the Western mountain areas. Family in Montana.

thanks.
Folks have already given good suggestions for apps, etc.
I would just add: Look into Harvest Hosts (which has a nation-wide list of vineyards, farms, orchards and others who permit stopping one or two nights for free–make a point to purchase something from them).
Also, Boondockers Welcome (they have a list, also nation-wide, of homeowner's who have a space available for overnighting – some may want a few $; offer if they don't).
Both sites have maps showing the locations on their lists…
Be aware that only a few have any hook-ups.
Happy Trails to you…
Dave
callmedave is offline   Reply With Quote