Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2006, 06:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Best Route South, First Timer

Hi all, leaving Boston Mass. Jan 2 2007.Excluding the N.Y and Washington DC.Corridor.What's a more relaxing route Boston Ma. to Fort Laudadale Florida Thanks John.
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu https://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:29 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Blandford , Massachusetts
Pleasant route to Florida

We travel from Mass to Florida every January as well. From Boston take the Mass Pike to Sturbridge. Take I84 through Ct to I684 in eastern NY. I684 south to I287. I287/87 west to the Garden State Parkway. There is a campground (Timberlane CG) near Clarksboro, NJ open year round to spend the first night.

Next morning we take I295 to Delaware Rt 13. Rt 13 south to Rt 17 in Va. Follow Rt 17 all the way to Savannah. Rts. 13 & 17 are beautiful towing "blue" roads and for the most part, wide open with very little traffic. We enjoy staying in the Charleston and Savannah areas on the way for 2 or 3 days.

Best route to Ft Lauderdale through Fla. in my opinion is I95 south to I10 west to Fl Rt 24 south to US 27. US 27 is very little traffic and no tolls. Fl Turnpike will kill you with tolls and I95 traffic is tough through the several metro areas. Enjoy Fla.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:09 AM   #3
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
The tolls on the Fla TP are worth the money.

When you hit the lower end of I95 the roads are bad, a lot of construction.

You can get a Sun pass in any drug store.

The tolls are discounted and you will really save time flying thru the Sunpass lanes.

The roads are really good.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Savannah area campgrounds

HEYBEEP, Don't mean to hijack this thread so you may wish to PM me. Can you give some tips on campgrounds near Savannah? We're planning a winter trip there this year or early next. Thanks and Happy Trails
Old 11-08-2006, 08:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by heybeep
We enjoy staying in the Charleston and Savannah areas on the way for 2 or 3 days.
On our trip East next year, we would like to spend a week or more checking out the Savannah-Charleston Low Country with some additional exploration in Beaufort. From the financial perspective of a retiree, South Carolina seems especially well-suited for relocation. So, would it be possible to suggest, in this thread or perhaps in a new one, some campgrounds in the area that could be our home base for exploration?

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Thanks all,for the imput here. sounds great.I lke the secondary roads very scenic and relaxing. John.
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu https://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:35 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Placitas , New Mexico
best route south.....

I'm an over the road driver, so might I offer these suggestions:
Avoid I-95 as much as possible until south of Newark, NJ. if you want to stay on interstates, this is a little longer but will get you around NYC.....Mass Pike to I-84 through Hartford to I-87 (New York Thruway) south to I-287.....take that to the Jersey Turnpike at exit 10, then get off at exit 7 (?) and go over to I-95 south at Trenton and go down through Philly( a mess during rush hour) to Wilmington. Then take DEL 1 (south of Wilmington) to US 13/301. 301 takes you across the Chesapeake Bay at Annapolis and stay south on 301 (pretty narrow high bridge across the Potomac going into Virginia, but some really good seafood restaurants off the side roads that offer a great view of the bridge) and you can turn left on US 17 at Port Royal or stay on 301 till you pick up I-95 north of Richmond.
Or, you can stay on DEL 1 to US 13 and take the Bay Bridge/Tunnel into Norfolk and go south on US 17. .
If you take US 17 south from Norfolk, you'll run the North and South Carolina and Georgia coastal country. In Florida you can pick up US 1 or FLA A1A, which is the coast highway (lots of small towns and stop lights though) Have fun!
JakBluMule is offline   Reply With Quote