Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2023, 02:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Naples , Florida
Best Apps for RV travel

What are the must have apps for Airstream travel and what are the nice to have apps? I've heard AllStays, Recreation.gov, and some sort of Weather app are all must have apps. I'm very interested in what everyone suggests. Thanks in advance for your help and knowledge!
cflgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 04:24 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Vashon Island , Washington
When I'm making long haul trips in unfamiliar territory the two apps I use extensively are GasBuddy and Campendium.
Gasbuddy will usually show what the fuel prices are, and you can set filters to locate truck stops if that's your thing. Campendium is good for finding rv parks, campgrounds, rest areas, and dump stations.
AlIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 04:54 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Other Apps..

I am a big fan of using RV Trip Planner, the same outfit that hosts this site (AirForums). It also hosts RV Site Reviews. I second the nomination for Campendium, especially if you lean towards boondocking, or "OTG".

Then there is Harvest Host, which is OK. Careful, the subscription fees can add up quickly.
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 4x2 Powerboost
BogeyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 06:41 PM   #4
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
RV Trip Wizard is my "go to" app for trip planning. I especially like that the routes are RV safe (no low bridges, etc.) depending on your profile.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 06:16 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Naples , Florida
Thanks for the insight!
Old 04-18-2023, 09:42 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We have been using RVParky to locate campgrounds for many years. We do not plan our trips and rarely make any advance reservations. RVParky works great to locate a campground at the last minute. There is also a handy RVParky app for the phone.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 09:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2024 25' Trade Wind
Seattle , Washington
Camp & RV, an iOS/iPadOS app (maybe also available on Android?) is our go to for finding campsites, dump stations, etc. It looks like it is now powered by Allstays, sop I wonder if you can get the same data and filters on their website now.

Freecampsite.net is also a great resource.

Although I have not used it, I've heard great things about Harvest Hosts. There's another similar site, I think with boondocking in the title, that I can't recall the name of or URL to.

I also lean heavily on sites like recreation.gov, and state parks that have their own booking (often hosted by rec.gov or goingtocamp).

I have RV Parky on my devices which can help find parking. GasBuddy when I'm looking to fill up. And several generic map apps that allow me to download maps for offline use (YouNeedAMap, Maps.me, Maplets, Topo Maps+). In Washington, WTA has an awesom app for downloading trail descriptions, trip reports, and other details for hikes in our state. And of course several weather apps. I have apps for my Garmin Inreach messenger, and some HAM Radio apps for use when I'm communicating away from stable cell networks. Then some apps for devices in my Trailer, like my Victron gear, and my EcoFlow or Goal Zero power stations if I bring one or the other (nowadays usually do if only for my CPAP when we are away from shorepower). And of course I have a photo DAM (I use Lightroom for the moment) to edit and organize the photos I take on the go.

Other local travel apps such as my local DOT app for ferries and road conditions, or apps for checking on our toll devices (we carry a couple for times when we head far enough to enter other toll regions).
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 10:54 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Best Apps for RV travel

When I am trying to locate a campground for the evening, I often default to an old, familiar companion that is now available as an iPhone App: Good Sam Camping Guide. It has much of the familiar feel of the old softcover book that I relied upon for 30 plus years.

Finding fuel, whether gasoline for my Buick Roadmaster tow vehicle, or helping my friend find Diesel when traveling in his Nissan Titan XD Diesel or Volkswagen Passat TDI Diesel, I default to Gas Buddy. The iPhone version of the App can take some time to master, but it is worth it as it points to best price and closest geographically.

When I am not relying upon my Garmin RV 890 GPS, and that is a very rare occurrence, I default to the Map Quest App. It has proven to me to be the most reliable of the smart phone/tablet Apps that I have tried. I was spoiled by the Rand McNally US Road Atlas GPS program with USB GPS Antenna for Laptops that was available for several years during late 1990s through the early 2000s, and the Garmin 890 GPS is the only device that has come close to the Rand McNally product is my Garmin RV 890.

I like to take advantage of electronic coupons offered within food store apps while traveling so also keep a few of the apps for regional chains on my phone including: Kroger -- my usual grocer so I have patronage bonus points that accumulate as I shop the result in fuel discounts when I fill at Kroger or certain other participating fuel stations. Ruler Foods -- a regional, big box type food retailer that is part of the Kroger family (great prices on Kroger as well as National brands). Aldi -- while I don't often travel to one while I am at home, I find that I often shop there while on the road. Walmart -- is an App that I am certain to have for multiple reasons but the two main reasons are for the Grocery side of the application and the Pharmacy side of the application (Walmart is my regular pharmacy so I can use the App to arrange refills while traveling away from home). Sam's Club -- I keep this App on my phone while traveling as there are several products that I like that are easiest to find at a Sam's Club.

One application that I like for which there is a small charge ($2.99) is Roadside America -- it is a compilation of all kinds of off-beat tourist attractions across the US. There was a book by the same name as well as website. I find these off-beat places some of the more memorable stops on some of my travels -- on of the examples -- S. P. Dinsmoor's Garden of Eden in Luray Kansas, a macabre sculpture garden in the center of Kansas.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 04:03 PM   #9
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
In addition to GasBuddy, you may find an app like TSD Open Roads to be valuable when buying diesel fuel while traveling the major highways. It is a discount fuel program utilizing the EFS Open Roads Card to purchase fuel under a fleet, volume buying contract that may net up to 40 cents off per gallon.

https://myopenroads.com

The App -
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ueldiscountapp

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 04:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Open Roads

EFS Open Roads is great. I just used it for a cross country trip from GA to CA and saved about $250 according to my statements. Thats a tank of gas for me!!
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 04:45 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Naples , Florida
Thank you

Thank you for all the great information and resources. I'll start checking out all the apps now. This forum is full of great people willing to help each other. What a special community.
I look forward to the time I can start providing information to others vs just learning
Old 04-19-2023, 07:17 AM   #12
JFR1800

2021 30RB Classic
Lindsay , Ontario
Toll Guru is a good app to use to see which states or where in Canada there are road, bridge or tunnel tolls and methods of payment as well as rates including pulling a trailer.
JFR1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 07:00 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Tallahassee , FL
Our go to travel apps when on the road and during the planning stages. RV trip wizard, Harvest Hosts, Campendium, Recreation.gov, Reserve America, KOA, TSD/EFS, Gas Buddy and Google Maps.
Kawboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 07:13 AM   #14
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I rely on WAZE when my 2015 Silverado GPS cannot get me there. I travel in Canada, so UnitsPlus is used to covert imperial to metric, currency converter. The app Measure has a great, highly visible level bubble I place on the floor inside the door to level the trailer in a new camp. Many states have 511 apps to give road conditions. DriveWeather gives me real time weather along a route. OptimaTilt shows me ideal positioning of portable solar panels. FindTower shows me nearest cell tower and who owns it.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 08:26 AM   #15
Perpetual Rookie

2022 20' Basecamp
Falls Church , Virginia
We use many that have already been mentioned. One not mentioned that we use a lot when traveling on interstates is iExit. It detects your location and direction, and lists out the services (gas stations w/prices, restaurants, etc) at the upcoming exits. Very handy!
Pquotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 10:29 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Naples , Florida
I've loaded almost all the apps and placed them in my RV folder on my iPhone. Thank you again!
Old 04-23-2023, 09:32 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Manvel , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
RV Trip Wizard is my "go to" app for trip planning. I especially like that the routes are RV safe (no low bridges, etc.) depending on your profile.
This is the way.
bmc5311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 10:18 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
2006 23' Safari SE
Newark , Delaware
One I haven't seen mentioned is Rest Stops. Probably similar to iexit but we use it since we used to travel with dogs and I much prefer the rest stops for walking them and stopping for lunch. It breaks it down by state and highways.
Moonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 01:23 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
CHANDLER , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cflgator View Post
What are the must have apps for Airstream travel and what are the nice to have apps? I've heard AllStays, Recreation.gov, and some sort of Weather app are all must have apps. I'm very interested in what everyone suggests. Thanks in advance for your help and knowledge!
I Exit details all available services on each interstate exit.
dgsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 04:50 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
I’m out of the Airstream life now, but it’s fun to hang out here.

The best weather app has been the paid version of Carrot. It used the hyper local Dark Sky for the weather data but Apple bought Dark Sky and shut it down. Then created their free weather app that looks just like Carrot but 0 the fun. I’ll continue to pay for Carrot. But I miss and still need lightning strike data for work. Cool that you can look at any weather radar in the US with it.

As a 1st Responder I rely on it.

The very best camps I’ve found weren’t on any guides. The absolutely worst ones were. I was 100% boondocking. I used RV parks for refills only. The best camp I found was under cliff dwellings, off any maps. I asked a Forest Ranger where a picture was taken and she gave me directions. Incredible dwelling in NM and all to myself, and my two mooches. At the dirt road entrance was an 85% abandoned house. It was like a museum, a well stocked and very old root cellar, a display of Indian artifacts.
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote