Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2004, 09:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Bend or bust!

Would appreciate route info >> Santa Fe (NM) to Bend, Oregon... One way!

We're doing Santa Fe to Bend, Oregon in two weeks pulling our 22'... Ideas for routes? We ran the numbers on the straightest route - about 1200 miles. Going I40, up to Reno, and west to the coast and north is around 2000 miles. Worth the difference do you think? Where should we worry?

Any thoughts on running the furnace while driving if it gets too cold (might have a cat or two in the trailer...)? We have tank heaters... Our trailer's been winterized already but I'll probably need to use it on the trip and do a "redo" later...

Appreciate the help.
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 09:28 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Are you in a hurry to get there, or do you have time to take in the sights along the way? I would head over to I5, and cut over to 97 at Ashland,OR then up 97 to Bend. Heading over to the coast is a little out of the way, but beautiful scenery. Heading back to Bend from the coast will take you over some mountain passes that may be getting snow soon, so I think cutting over at Ashland is a better bet.

What's this about one way? You're not moving up here, are you?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 09:28 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray
Any thoughts on running the furnace while driving if it gets too cold (might have a cat or two in the trailer...)? We have tank heaters... Our trailer's been winterized already but I'll probably need to use it on the trip and do a "redo" later....
I have done this while traveling in early spring and late fall, it works fine, but uses lots of propane.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 10:55 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Yes it would use a lot of propane, wouldn't it? The trailer is effectively getting 60 mph winds at ambient temp which would tend to cool it pretty effectively and fight the furnace all day long. I bet it runs almost continually. Never thought about that before.I say give 'em a blanket, they'll be fine.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:33 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
On the route question. I would head west over to Calif and go up I-5 which avoids crossing the high plateau of Nevada, Utah, etc. which will be cold all the way. When you come up I-5 you will have some options:

a) most expedient is to go all the way up I-5 to Weed, then veer off on Hwy 97 all the way up to Bend. A nice drive but it can be better...

b) go up I5 past Sacramento to Williams, then grab Hwy 20 west to Hwy 101 then north, and you will get a beautiful drive up through the redwoods to Eureka, then along the coast to Crescent City. Take 199 from CC to Grants Pass Oregon, another pretty route, then jog east on I-5 south to Ashland (about 40 miles) and cut over to 97 from there, like Stef mentioned. Probably adds 8 hours, although add a day if you want to stop and look a lot - it is beautiful.

C) if you have a bit more time even, stay on the coast up to Florence and then take 126 east all the way to Bend, passing through Eugene (where I am at the moment), and on up the MacKenzie Hwy which is also very pretty. Only caveat is Santiam Pass can get a lot of snow so watch the ODOT weather reports if you choose this route. If it is bad, hole up at Belknap Springs, near MacKenzie Bridge which has hot springs and is right on the river. Stay in the historic lodge or in your Airstream looking at the river - awesome place in the winter I'll send you a pic if you want.

Have fun - this is beautiful country.

-john
Old 10-26-2004, 11:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Xray,

If your looking for a straight route, why all the way to the coast? Avoid crossing the Sierra. I recommend US395 north out of Reno. It's a straight shot- 395 to 31 to 97 to Bend. It's a beautiful and little traveled. No big passes that I can remember. A few small ones, though. I driven it a few times and love the backside of Cal and Oregon. My two cents.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 06:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Dee, Stef, John, Brett,

Appreciate the info. I'm studying the map.

Dee, tell me about the back route into Bend (you wrote, "I recommend US395 north out of Reno. It's a straight shot- 395 to 31 to 97 to Bend."). Beautiful? What can we expect on that stretch?

John, post the pic of the lodge, it might sway us to take that route. Appreciate the insight in I5, etc. I've driven it before - many years ago. Might make perfect sense if the weather turns foul. I ran some rough numbers and I40 to Bakersfield then up to Redding, moseying to Bend using your Weed route is somewhere around 1550 miles. Not bad. Might save that much time by traveling mostly interstates. What's I5 like through most of No CA? Anything to look at or are we waiting for the views on 97? My wife would love to do the Redwoods route if we aren't pushing it too hard at that point... Hey, what about gasoline in California? Has premium hit $3 a gallon yet?

Stephanie, Yep! Hope we can link up with the NW 'streamers... You guys winter camp by any chance? Thanks for the route advice. I'll factor it in.

Brett, I'll plan on checking the propane frequently if we need to run the furnace. I've never camped in the cold in a 60 MPH wind that I can recall. Makes sense. We're going to "hotel it" this trip...

Thanks again,
Old 10-27-2004, 09:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
X,

395 is my favorite way north and usually do it once every summer. It is "beautiful" because of the open expanse. Quiet, pure and very little population. Small towns (few) that haven't changed much in last hundred years. Oregon calls it the outback. It's kewl!

I always stop for a few nights at Goose Lake State Park. Very nice park and never more than 3/4 campers a night. But will problably closed be closed for season now. The are other RV parks open year around though.

I usually do San Jose to Reno Hilton KOA to Goose Lake to Crown Villa RV Park, Bend. Easy day drives. Great start to a Northwest trip.

You are right about I5 being boring. Man o man, it is deadly. It all changes after Redding though. Shasta is awesome.

Come rally with us.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:16 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Xray,

While living and working full time in Portland, Oregon, I built a home for my folks outside of Sierra Vista, Arizona near Fort Huachuca which is southeast of Tucson. When I was in a hurry, as always, it took me 30 hours nonstop one way. I traveled the following detailed route at all times of year. Generally I would avoid this route with a trailer from the end of December until March. Just keep your eye on the long term weather forecast before you decide. If you like the outback and beautiful vistas, this is the way to go. I worked part of this route as an engineer for Ma Bell and my father-in-law drove a double fuel tanker along this route.

A fast way between I-40 and Bend is to turn north on Highway 93 at Kingman, Arizona, go through Las Vegas, and continue on Highway 93 to I-80 and turn west on I-80. At Winnemucca, Nevada turn north on Highway 95. Stay on Highway 95 to Burns Junction and turn left on Highway 78 to Burns. At Burns, turn left on Highway 20 to Bend.

If you decide to take the 395 route, I also recommend the Goose Lake Camp Ground on the Oregon California Border. We just returned from there a few weeks ago. It is one of my wife's favorite places to stay while we prospect for semi precious gem stones. Just south of the campground on 395 there is an excellent plum winery. The direct phone line to the camp ground is (541) 947-3111 or check www.oregonstateparks.org. I believe it is open all year.

Whichever route you take, enjoy yourself.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:14 AM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Our Unit used to winter camp, but as the most active folks got older they began heading south for the winter. I hope to get some mini rallys going for us younger campers who stay behind, so we will probably be doing some stuff off and on this winter. I'm planning our first one for mid-november, which is probably too soon for you, but I'll keep everyone posted of future plans.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:22 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Our Unit used to winter camp, but as the most active folks got older they began heading south for the winter. I hope to get some mini rallys going for us younger campers who stay behind, so we will probably be doing some stuff off and on this winter. I'm planning our first one for mid-november, which is probably too soon for you, but I'll keep everyone posted of future plans.
Stef, if I'm still around, count me in for the November mini rally!!!

BTW, I took 395 all the way south and loved it. It was incredibly beautiful. The only thing I didn't like - and this was sans trailer - was going through Reno. When I head out this time, I think I'll take I5 but 395 is appealing. Maybe I'll just let the weather be my determining factor.
1997 E350
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 06:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs down Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray
Any thoughts on running the furnace while driving if it gets too cold (might have a cat or two in the trailer...)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_safari
I say give 'em a blanket, they'll be fine.
I think the cat's should NOT travel in the trailer... Have YOU ever ridden back ther? It's creaky & bumpy...I would think it would terroize your cats!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 06:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
I think the cat's should NOT travel in the trailer... Have YOU ever ridden back ther? It's creaky & bumpy...I would think it would terroize your cats!

Shari
I'm taking the CCD out for a test run tomorrow and I'm going to ride in the back myself to see how bad it is. Might change my mind but there aren't many alternatives.

I can appreciate your comment, Shari, but the 3 dogs always ride up front... (3 adults and 3 dogs). Remember, this is just a stop-gap measure to get us to our destination all together and not a regular thing we are contemplating doing...
Old 10-27-2004, 08:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel
A fast way between I-40 and Bend is to turn north on Highway 93 at Kingman, Arizona, go through Las Vegas, and continue on Highway 93 to I-80 and turn west on I-80. At Winnemucca, Nevada turn north on Highway 95. Stay on Highway 95 to Burns Junction and turn left on Highway 78 to Burns. At Burns, turn left on Highway 20 to Bend.
Xray, it would be another excellent route to avoid major mountain passes. Burns to Burns Jct has always intrigued me. My interest in this lonliest of lonley roads has always gotten piqued everytime I have driven past this route. And I love loney roads. Maybe next summer.

Come rally with us.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Just returned from a trip to Kansas, via Winnemucca, NV up thru hwy 140 to Denio Jct, then to hwy 202 to Fields, OR, then hwy 205 to Frenchglen, OR (historical site)to see the Steens mtns. Forecast of snow led us to Burns, then via 20/395 we camped at Chickahominy Reservoir in high desert and woke up to 2-3 inches of snow. Then on to Bend the next day and to Corvallis (home)! Good roads, no high passes and pretty country. Wished we could have seen the Steens mtns. Stephanie and Big Dee have good recs also and drive is spectacular (and less risky....my route has no gas for 200+ miles) Let me know what your agenda is and maybe we could meet for a day or two. I know of AS courtesy site near Bend (Sisters Quilt Show rally site). You mentioned "Oregon or Bust" one way.....does that mean you know your route home (or to Oregon)?? Bend is a great place to visit....lots of things to do!!

Love to meet your peke and JRT!!
Retired Veterinarian
Jim Jordan

Cattle on the highway near Frenchglen, OR
Attached Images

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 10:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
X,
PS, I'd travel with the cats in carriers in the TV. Not as much bouncing around, and constant temp! Trust me, they will do well!
Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
Old 10-27-2004, 11:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Scene from Winnemucca, NV to Denio Jct............verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry straight drive!
Attached Images

2017 28' Signature CCD

Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
Old 10-28-2004, 01:23 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
Xray, I spent the first years of my life.........

in Las vegas, New Mexico, and moved with my family to Bend, Oregon in 1960. Over the years, I have gone back and forth between the two states over every conceivable route. The last time, I took Interstate 40 to Gallup; US 666 to Moab, Utah; US 6 to Salt Lake City; Interstate 64 to Ontario, Oregon; and, US 20 west through Burns and on to Bend. There is no particular route you are not going to enjoy, especially as you have your home right behind you. I envy your adventure. Be safe.
joe hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 01:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe hall
in Las vegas, New Mexico, and moved with my family to Bend, Oregon in 1960. Over the years, I have gone back and forth between the two states over every conceivable route. The last time, I took Interstate 40 to Gallup; US 666 to Moab, Utah; US 6 to Salt Lake City; Interstate 64 to Ontario, Oregon; and, US 20 west through Burns and on to Bend. There is no particular route you are not going to enjoy, especially as you have your home right behind you. I envy your adventure. Be safe.
Thanks, Joe,

I think you are right!
Old 10-28-2004, 02:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Hi X,

Have you thought about using DC Heaters in your CCD while travelling to keep the kitties warm?

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/12voltheaters.html

Bob
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote