Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2020, 08:03 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by losfeliz View Post
I asked the park Ranger about food in trailers. He said they don't seem to bother trailers, probably because they know people are in them. He said they avoid confrontation. While we were there about 6 car attacks - windows busted out etc. But not a single camper or tent.
Thank you, good to know. I read on another thread recently about some tent campers cleaning fish on their picnic table - the ranger relocated them and all the tent campers as a precaution. I think your tent campers were much more careful!
janicemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:07 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamguy View Post
I have an upper meadow of about two acres that I've let go 'wild' so that the wildlife have a place to call their own*. I try to maintain a large border area between that and the house so that the bear, the local bobcat family, and the occasional bull elk aren't tempted to cross it.
Sounds like a wonderful place to live!
janicemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:26 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
1966 in Smokeys at campground, a bear literally ripped apart a pick up camper of a young couple parked next to my new AS, looking for food they were lucky as out for a walk, needless to say, very terrified, vowed never to return to area. Only dif. between my As & there camper was windows left open when went for walk. that night bear tore up tent and coolers and scrounged food & watermelon not protected. Next day rangers placed bear trap, that night bear prob. solved. We were touring in mts. on motorcycle for day and campground pretty empty at time of incident w/bear break in.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:17 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
While camp hosting at Convict Lake, CA. Fishermen left there truck and supplies unattended. Not a good idea! I got a little close and scolded the bear into leaving. He didn't like it, but he left. Please, I do not recommend any one trying this. I have been around wild animals all of my life and feel a unique bond with bears. I talk with them in my dreams as well. Krazy? Maybe!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9421.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	549.5 KB
ID:	375188   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9435.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	375189  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9448.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	375190  
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:40 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamguy View Post
*This year, we have a different variety of owl that has moved in; a Boreal Owl. Haven't seen it yet. But sure have heard it. 'I wish you good hunting, mate!' In past years, there's been a roatating menagerie: couple varieties of hawks, wild turkeys, Spotted Owls, Barred Owls, Barn Owls (their screech will make your hair stand on end, particularly if they're only about 15 feet away, perched on the garden fence!), and the perennial favorite, Great Horned Owls.
Lived 40 yrs out in the county in farm country near Idaho Falls, ID, and had a giant (greater than 6' diameter: DIAMETER, not circumference) cottonwood tree in the front yard of my old farmhouse. Over the years, it hosted at least one bald eagle, and for the last several years I was there, a pair of Great Horned Owls who would answer back when I imitated their hooting. They knew it was me making the sound, they would sit in the tree and watch me as I "returned" their calls. I didn't worry about my Dobermans around them, but neighbors with Yorkies were extremely careful.

One morning walking the Dobies, found huge mountain lion tracks in the dust going down the road. But I'm glad I never saw bear tracks!

Loved it out there, I really miss it now that I'm in the city again.

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote