Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2003, 05:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Question Bastrop River RV Park-Bastrop,TX??

I just bought the www.passport-america.com membership($39 through CW) which gives you a 50% discount off of the reg overnight rate at over 800 campgrounds in the US & Canada.

I just happen to be staying at 5 of them between here & Austin, then another 2 between Austin and Heron Lake.

If I arrive a couple of days early, I'm thinking of spending the time at Bastrop River RV Park-Bastrop,TX before heading over to Pedernales Falls. The reg overnight rate is $25 and through Passport America it's $12.50.

My question is: How is this park? Please share any & all good & bad!!

Note: there are some restrictions-like at Bastrop they only offer this discount Monday-Thursday only.

Thanks to all-John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 09:57 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Bastrop River RV Park

I don't recognize that park; I usually stay at Bastrop State Park or Buscher State Park just down the road a piece. Presumably, the park you refer to is along the Colorado River which winds through Bastrop.

Bastrop is a neat historic town with an old-timey downtown and a lot of restored old houses. We used to drive down there to do some C/W kicking on Saturday nights.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 10:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I have never stayed there either. It is where you go if you can't get a spot at Buescher or Bastrop State Park or if you are just passing thru. It is right beside the Hwy. 71 bridge over the Colorado River and looks to be a decent park. Bastrop is a cool little town just like Pahaska said, plenty of shops and restaurants.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 04:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin Lone Star RV Resort

There's also this park, but it's $20.50-$23.00. Also it's sound really large, but nice.

I'll probably check out Bastrop 1st and if it doesn't good, I'll go up to Lone Star.

On 2nd thought, I'll probably head over to Bastrop SP if Bastrop River RV Park isn't cool, but I'm sure it will be.

John
Old 02-11-2003, 06:52 AM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Bastrop State Park

You will pass right by the entrance to Bastrop State Park as you come into Bastrop on hwy 21, right before you come down the hill into town. You will be arriving during the week and you probably have at least 95% chance of a site being available at the SP.

Bastrop SP is an old park, built by the CCC. Lots of shade, but not the world's best layout. There are a lot of sites you would not fit in. I like Buscher SP a whole lot better, but it is a bit out of your way (the two parks are connected by a 20-mile park scenic road).

We had a rally at Lone Star a couple of years ago. It is a former KOA and is a first-class park, a lot of shade and convenient to everything in Austin. They serve a good breakfast every morning and I have stopped there since just for breakfast. Front sites are near the highway and can be a bit noisy. Lots of shade and greenery between sites. Great bath facilities.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 08:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

John,

Thanks for this infor! I'll probably just go to Bastrop River RV Park, as I'll be arriving no earlier than Wednesday and I'd like to have full hook ups prior to heading over to Pedernales Falls on Friday.

I'll call you when I arrive and may be we can meet some where on Friday and I'll follow you to Pedernales.

John
Old 02-24-2003, 10:50 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Richardson , Texas
We stayed in Bastsrop SP last month. Just on the south side of town and on the west side of the highway, there was a park on the river that look new. That may be the Bastrop River Park. We intended to check it but never did. Bastrop is a neat town. Fun to just walk around. We had something to eat at a place on the river right in downtown but can't remember the name of it. You can sit on the balcony overlooking the river. From there you can walk across the bridge. We intend to go back.
'01 Yamaha Raptor ATV
'07 Yamaha Rhino ATV
2 burgler alarms: Rotweiller and Shepherd
"If you step down to get in, you have to step up to get out"
Raptorrider2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:08 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Saw this old thread and had to revive it. My folks loved Bastrop State Park and their '28 Silver Streak was parked there at least once yearly. This was also a favorite spot for family Thanksgiving as the access from Dallas, Kerrville and Elgin was easy for our small extended family. A lovely park in our opinion. If nothing else, it offers a great place for long walks and peaceful afternoons.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote