Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2014, 07:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Ban on GPS In Moving Vehicle?

I offer this with no comment:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/16/bu...-vehicles.html
Old 06-16-2014, 07:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
My thoughts: distracted is distracted, whether it's phoning, texting, or google mapping. If something will take your eyes off the road, even for a second or two, let your passenger do it, or pull over.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I'd argue that there's already sufficient regulation. Distracted driving is distracted driving, whatever device it is that you're fiddling with at the time, but the trouble is that it's often only after a crash that the distracted driving is discovered and of course that's too late.

I guess that the app makers and suppliers of in and out of dash systems need to keep making sure that their interfaces are simple. Law enforcement people need to be on the lookout for proper distracted driving and not technical infringements like that guy in the article. Courts need to make sure they're convicting for proper infractions and above all, drivers need to understand the dangers in taking their attention away from the road. How many times have you seen a truck driver guiding many tons of trailer down the highway at 65mph whilst texting? (It's not only truck drivers, of course). That's illegal, easy to spot, and yet they continue to do it.

I hope that the law makers "don't throw the baby out with the bathwater". Better enforcement of the current laws and better education is surely the only way to go.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
This is probably a back door to ban apps like Trapster (which some have already tried); IMO.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Smart phones are not well engineered for using in cars. I have found them very inefficient and cumbersome to use even while not driving a car. Most things on a smart phone require several screens and then several swipes, taps etc to operate most of the time requiring both hands and your full attention. Most of the time my wife navigates with the phone while I drive. Sometimes I feel like I am the only person on the road paying any attention to driving at all.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
My opinion.

Hi, factory GPS's in cars will most likely not be banned. In California, GPS's like Garmin Etc. cannot be blocking the center of the windshield. They must be mounted in the left or right lower corner of the windshield, I keep mine on the consul. For me, a glance down to see my next lane change or off ramp is much safer than trying to make a last second change because you didn't see it coming, especially while towing. And yes that glance down is no different than a radio change or A/C change while driving. [We know nobody else besides me is doing that, right] As for the smart phones, which I don't have one, if you are using the map mode and your phone is in a holder like a GPS, I would say it's OK. But if you are holding it while driving, to me, that's the same as making a call while driving.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Most GPS apps have voice navigation and voice control.

I use Siri on my iPhone to find what I am looking for and give me voice directions. I never have to take my hands off the wheel or take my eyes off the road. It is all voice controlled.

The problem with distracted driving laws is that they are hard to enforce. Also it is difficult to legislate common sense. A driver can always find distractions whether they are caused by a smart phone, a ham sandwich, a sexy pedestrian, a bug, or a splinter in your shoe.

Drivers just need to use more common sense and drive defensively.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I would have to say that the worst device causing distraction on the road is by far the cell phone. GPS is like a radio, if voice activated. Mine dings and says TURN HERE! Her name is Gretchen.

People holding cell phones and driving is dangerous. I often ride a mid-sized scooter and I easily see people driving around holding cell phones out in front of them talking or to their ear. Usually everyone else in the car has some device in their face so no hope of someone else warning the driver of danger. Oh, and so often I see families in restaurants just sitting in silence, everyone into their device, playing, checking email, etc. no talking or sharing- freaky society we live in!

They passed a law here in FL back in the spring, no loud music from vehicles. Well, I have heard more megaphone music cars since the law than before blasting music via a loudspeaker discretely mounted under the hood or car.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #9
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Wonder if they'll be able to solve the problem of all the people who listen to their GPS and drive into a river?
Old 06-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post

~~ As for the smart phones, which I don't have one, if you are using the map mode and your phone is in a holder like a GPS, I would say it's OK. But if you are holding it while driving, to me, that's the same as making a call while driving.
I think research shows that it's not, in fact, the same level of distraction. Studies have shown only a small difference in distraction between hand-held and hands-free conversations, the big distraction is the conversation itself. Now, setting a route can be distracting if you don't know how to do it with voice commands, but you're not supposed to set a route on the fly with built-in systems either, and many manufacturers lock that out or only allow you to use voice commands while in motion.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We don't have built in GPS/Navigation, so use phones. Set it and drive. It's not that hard to be safe. It's hard to legislate against people doing stuff they should know better than to do while driving.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
At the end of the day, the driver must be held responsible for his actions, but don't penalize those that can drive and follow a GPS map or work a remote phone via Bluetooth because others cannot.

Imagine if this limitation was imposed upon Pilots, we would ground all flying!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #13
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
I must be to old. Remember the days of the folding AAA map which had been highlighted with your route? Spread from the driver to passenger side fully covering the dash as Dad tried to make sense of it with Mom's help. All at the top speed of a sedate 50-55mph. There are bigger things to be concerned about.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
I must be to old. Remember the days of the folding AAA map which had been highlighted with your route? Spread from the driver to passenger side fully covering the dash as Dad tried to make sense of it with Mom's help. All at the top speed of a sedate 50-55mph. There are bigger things to be concerned about.
Ha...my dad was a WWII Naval Aviation Navigator for the first 3 years of the war. My mom was the assigned navigator on our vacations. How do you think that worked out. Talk about distractions!

Sent from my XT907 using Airstream Forums mobile app

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
Lawrence , Kansas
A driver using a hand held device is dangerous but I do not see how someone else in the car using one would be. I use a build in Nav Systems in my tow vehicle and I am sure the people in other cars are safer when it is helping me navigate new territory.
ttbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:30 PM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Even setting the destination on your phone's GPS HAS to be safer than THAT!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
but you're not supposed to set a route on the fly with built-in systems either, and many manufacturers lock that out or only allow you to use voice commands while in motion.
or argue with your talking GPS!
Old 06-17-2014, 07:59 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
Most GPS apps have voice navigation and voice control.

I use Siri on my iPhone to find what I am looking for and give me voice directions. I never have to take my hands off the wheel or take my eyes off the road. It is all voice controlled.
Yes, me too! And I feel sorry for those folks who are unaware of the technology.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote