Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2016, 09:57 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
[QUOTE=MelGoddard;1882160]Not a good idea to leave the cords wound up when in use.
That makes it a 'coil' and the magnetic field can intensify, overheating the cable. Possible fire here.

There is little heating on an open coil laying on the ground. But if it is coiled around a steel spool you will cause damage. I toasted a home extension cord years ago by leaving it coiled around a metal wire cable spool I got from work. The steel core becomes a magnet and like any sizeable transformer there is heat developed in the core. How many of us leave an extension cord coiled on its wall hook in the garage and just uncoil what we need. Never had a problem
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:31 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
I use the cloth type bags, with loop handles, that are give out for free at trade shows, home shows, healthcare seminars.... They wok well for me because they come in various sizes and I tie them closed using the loop handles. When they get damaged or dirty, I just chuck then in the recycle bin and get a new on off the hook in the barn. Saving me some moo-la and helping the environment!
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:29 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I took Slowmovers suggestion and bought 2 U.S. Military Surplus Flyer's Kit Bags.
These bags will conform to whatever shape I need to get the hoses and cords into the outside side compartment under the front twin. Looks like a perfect fit for my application.
Thanks everyone for all the ideas!
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:40 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I took Slowmovers suggestion and bought 2 U.S. Military Surplus Flyer's Kit Bags.
These bags will conform to whatever shape I need to get the hoses and cords into the outside side compartment under the front twin. Looks like a perfect fit for my application.
Thanks everyone for all the ideas!
Still at it................here's a heads up!
Well, after some use of the military flyers kit bags I found them to be just too big with extra bag material bunched up taking up the otherwise left over room in the storage area. So they are not really ideally suited for my use or compartment space.

I ordered a couple of "Hose storage bags" sold by Carol Wright Gifts through Amazon. It says they will work for a 25' water hose plus have a little spare room. They only cost $4.99 each plus shipping of $4.99. But if you get 3 the shipping is still just $4.99. not a bad deal. They are not water proof but look like they will keep sand and leaves out of the compartment. I always drain the hose completely so the water proofing is not necessary for me. Just looking for more at organization now.
Amazon does have a picture of the hose bag on their site if you want to see one of these bags..
The bag is green has handles and a zipper to seal it up. The best part it is round and take up less room./ I seem to remember it is 17" in diameter and 5" high.
Hopefully, this will be the bag to stay with. The military bags I purchased in Dec. can be washed and used for a lot of other uses, so no loss.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:07 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
I'm very nice to my 50 amp cord...otherwise it attacks me and tries to strangle me!

I doubt it would like me trying to bag it...don't won't to think of the battle we would have!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:21 AM   #46
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
We bought a 30 gal heavy duty rubbermaid trash can from home depot. Can coil a 50' black flush hose, 25' fresh water, 25' insulated/heated fresh water, 31' 50 amp cord, and room for other junk. We set it inside the door for traveling, outside when parked. Easy peasy. While parked I have a varmint proof trash storage and a handy work stand.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:49 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I came across a store called Sportsman's Warehouse and they sold a large round zipper bag for cast iron cookware. It would be perfect for a power cable. (30 amp)

or on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Sawtooth-Dutc...FBP&th=1&psc=1

For a water hose, I'd want it mesh for ventilation.
I found a quick connect fitting for my water hose that doesn't leak, makes connections quick and painless. The bonus is that I can snap the two ends together so nothing gets in the hose when stored.
Kwik Link. Really, I've used it for years and it's never leaked a drop. If I sell the RV, it's going with me. I use the right angle one so the hose hangs straight down.
https://www.rvh2o.com
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:47 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Mollysdad,
Those pot covers look awesome but the price kills it for me.

I received my Amazon order and those green bags work well in the outside side storage compartment under the twin bed. I have several of them in use now. 2 for the hoses and one for my 30' 30amp electric cord. Everything fits and there is still room for several more of these bags if needed. I am able to stand them upright on end and that way I have a lot of left over room for other stuff. The hoses aren't coiled too tight and are actually easier to store in the bags than without.
The bag is made of a water resistant coated poly type material.
Lots of trial and error but I'm very pleased with this purchase. The weak spot on these bags may be the zipper. Just don't try to put 20#'s of stuff in a 10# bag and you'll be alright. Time will tell!

Here a link.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1