Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2005, 09:24 PM   #21
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I'll hunt out the information and try and post it tommorrow. Any of the sites in the Tetons are just out of this world from a scenic perspective. I gave you the Coulter Bay and Flagg Ranch locations because they each have full hookups and can accomodate rigs of about any length including the larger motorhomes. The only drawbacks are that the sites are fairly close together, but they work. All of Coulter Bay's full service sites are pull through. Additionally, at Coulter Bay there is a variety of things to do on and around the lake from boat excursions, to bus tours, to an on site museum, to numerous eating places serving a variety of fares, fuel, groceries, etc.
I'm fairly certain you can make reservations at Coulter Bay, but I'll check and get back to you.

Access of the Tetons through either Jackson from the south or Dubois from the east, southeast is easy with a trailer. Both are uniquely scenic drives. There is no construction in the Tetons and none is scheduled. By staying there, you can access Yellowstone unimpeded by your trailer and better deal with the continuous construction of one or more of its access roads. Last fall, one route was completely closed and three more involved long delays and VERY rough spots here and there throughout the park. More construction is scheduled for this year.

I'm sure you already have your dates set, but if you could push your visit back into late August/ early September or later, the crowds aren't in the parks and it is a much more natural and enjoyable experience.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 03:22 PM   #22

seeing wild game in fishing bridge

Just a suggestion but last fall, Labor day weekend we camped at Fishing Bridge, we saw a wolf and a bear cub with its mother. My hint, get up really early or late eveving, dusk and dawn. There was so much wildlife out at this time, it was a great experience!
Wendy
silverdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 03:18 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

We have thought of dropping off the trailer, like at Colter Bay, then driving into Yellowstone but it would take quite awhile and we would need to stay at a lodge etc., and couldn't drive back every night to Colter Bay, correct? It really sounds easier than trying to figure out where to go and the driving etc to get to Fishing Bridge.

We were actually trying to come in via. Rt. 80 and leave Rt. 90 though, but could leave Rt. 80 E, and track up to Rt. 90 to hit Rapid City. I will have to check on routes and time etc.

I appreciate all of the help and will be watching for more info. If we would come from Rt. 80 (from East) do you suggest 287 or 191?
heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 06:12 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
When we stayed at Flag Ranch, between Tetons and Yellowstone, we did drive back and forth, day tripping and returning at night to our campsite. That suited us because we were touring both parks as well as outlying areas and FR is really central to it all. If you plan your day trips carefully, you really don't get much backtracking. As said above, FR is not a stellar place re: sites; however, when we have stayed there (twice), we had tall pine tree shade,some separation from neighboring units, and felt that the campground was clean and welcoming. FR has a great fairly new large and very nice dining lodge with a small store, and a typically western park style gift shop. This took care of any campground needs or a quick breakfast before a day trip or an easy prepared-by-someone-else (!) supper after a long full day of tripping. After one day of tripping, we came back to the lodge to pick up supplies to find everyone excited. A black bear had visited the lodge during the day, trapping everyone inside for a couple of hours, and trapping others in the parking lot in their cars. They told of the bear standing up, peering in the big front windows of the lodge, looking (I guess) at all the people looking back at him. The bear was later taken by the forest service to a remote area of the park-too friendly for the visiting folks I'd stay there again because of all the advantages cited above.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 08:20 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Hidalgo, We have stayed several places in the Teton area. Grand Teton Park Rv Resort 1-800-563-6469. Spectacular veiws!!!
Xanterra can make a reservation at Colter Bay trailer village on the shores of Jackson Lake. The Virginian RV Resort 1-800-321 6982 in Jackson, there U can walk to town!!
The KOA in Cody, Wyoming is nice as well. 1-800-562-8507. Stay away from the Teton Village KOA, the "help", especially Ora Mae, is very unfriendly when it comes to high-end RV's. After 2 different years, we had had enough.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 11:29 AM   #26
Rivet Master

We usuaully go to Yellowstone from Denver.::I-80 to Rock Springs, north out of Rock
Springs, thru Pinedale to Jackson, then north out of Jackson to south gate of Yellowstone. Travel 22 miles to Grant Village to West Thumb turn right, go 24 miles to the Fishing Bridge trun off and a couple of miles east to The RV Park.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:30 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

When you take 80 etc., then come in the south gate of Yellowstone, how are the roads from Pinedale up thru to the south gate - then over to Fishing Bridge? Are there alot of switchbacks or anything like that where you wouldn't want to pull a 31'?

I will look into Flagg Ranch, that sounds good also.
heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 08:54 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Heaven,
RT 191 out of Rock Springs has small "midwest type" hills. Theroad is very good, some hills in spots. There are a couple of short grades, but NO major switchbacks. From Jackson to the South Gate is mostly valley bottom terrain. The road from the S.G to Grant (22 miles) is a steady pull of 2-6 % for short periods. No Switch backs. Once you reach Lewis Lake area, terrain levels off. From Grant to Fishing Bridge, you R skirting Yellowstone Lake. following the shore. This is the route we take our 45 ft S.O.B motorhome on while towing a 3/4T Chevy X-tend Cab 4X4. Total length of the rig with towed is 68 ft. NO PROBLEM Just remember, when encountering hills, use commom sense. Gear down when needed, don't ride you brakes. If you have a GM truck with the Allsion tranny, use tow/haul mode. Helps slow you.
When exiting Yellowstone consider, Fishing B to Canyon Vill, west 2 Norris, North to Mammoth. One steeper grade 1 1/2 miles long. Norris to Swan Lake Flat farely flat. Swan Lake Flat to Mammoth 7 miles down, dropping 1,300ft
Mammoth to Gardiner, 5 miles dropping 920 ft. Gardiner to Livingston 55 miles, following Yellowstone River. Then I-90 east to Billings interstate grades, mostly rolling. I-90 Billilngs to Sheridan Wyoming and beyond, rolling-to-flat. Hope this helps. email me directly and I try further