Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2017, 07:49 AM   #1
TWC
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Georgetown , Ontario
Badlands and Yellowstone advice

We will be driving westbound through South Dakota Badlands and Yellowstone area in mid to late June/early July (I know, it's going to be a busy season). Any advice on places to stay with our 25' Serenity in the area around Custer, SD and also Yellowstone? Anyone have experience with the non-reservable campgrounds in the National and State Parks? How many days should we plan for each location?
How is the drive from Yellowstone to Vernon, B.C.?
Thanks
TWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Custer State Park is one of my all time favorite places! Great food in the lodges, and the loop road is outstanding. Don't drive the AS there because of the "Pigtail bridges" and tunnels, although it might fit.
However, I stayed in Rapid City, and can't say the RV parks were anything to get excited about.
Yellowstone in the summer? I hated it! Massive crowds, roads under construction, no place to park, I didn't see a bird, let alone wildlife. Food is vendor food microwaved under plastic wrap.
Since you're in SD, how about Glacier NP instead? The most beautiful place in America?

(I know, I'm the only person to hate Yellowstone, and I didn't even mention that 1/3 of the trees were dead from the fires. I was there in August, so I hit the worst it had to offer.)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
If you make it to Yellowstone before the 4th of July period, you should be able to get a "first come, first served" site. Having said that, you can make reservations for Canyon, Madison, Grant, Bridge Bay and Fishing Bridge campgrounds to take the worry out of being in the park with nowhere to camp... All but Fishing Bridge are dry camping. Fishing Bridge is pricey and soulless but it is centrally located and has full hookups.

If you give YNP 4 days, you will be able to get a real feel for it. Two full days at a minimum.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
We pulled into Custer State Park in Sept '12, on our way to Yellowstone. Great place, and will someday get back there. Buffalo roaming the park roads at night. We did not have a reservation, and the park personnel couldn't sell us a site. We were directed to use the payphone behind the entry station to call the State Parks toll free number to make a reservation. A little goofy, but it all worked out.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
By the way, for the record, yes, in 1988 a third of Yellowstone's forest burned in complex fires that had over fifty different ignition sources. Those areas are coming back nicely after almost 30 years.

On an average year, lighting fires scorch about 12,000 acres. The Park is 2.25 million acres. So, no, a "1/3 of the trees" are not dead from the fires.

The vast majority of visitors never leave the road or pull outs, stop only for Canyon Falls and Old Faithful and, of course a bad cheeseburger.

There are a thousand miles of trails, miles of boardwalks, over 200 Ranger led programs every day and there are 5 Visitor Centers and 2 Museums chock full of neat stuff.
Dismissive cat
Old 04-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
We did the loop road on motorcycles at Custer SP. We had to stop for 200 bison crossing the road. Without the safety of a car, the size of those creatures is impressive, 50' away. They didn't seem impressed with us.
There's also the burros begging for apples.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
By the way, for the record, yes, in 1988 a third of Yellowstone's forest burned in complex fires that had over fifty different ignition sources. Those areas are coming back nicely after almost 30 years.

On an average year, lighting fires scorch about 12,000 acres. The Park is 2.25 million acres. So, no, a "1/3 of the trees" are not dead from the fires.

The vast majority of visitors never leave the road or pull outs, stop only for Canyon Falls and Old Faithful and, of course a bad cheeseburger.
1988? I was there long after that! I didn't count the trees, but I do recall it was a lot. I'm not blaming Yellowstone, I'm sure it very nice, just not in August. As far as getting off the boardwalks, we couldn't even get ON the boardwalks because we had trouble parking a motorcycle in the parking lots! People were getting into arguments over parking! And tour busses took huge sections! Xanterra produces more than bad cheeseburgers, if they had to run a public restaurant, they'd close in a month. My dinner literally came wrapped in clear plastic and was cold in places. No doubt it was made up early and zapped in the microwave.
On the road, traffic was backed up. It seems a bison was laying down in the woods, and the tourists blocked the road to stare. That was all the wildlife we saw, I'm sure they hightailed to to the high country!
Yes, I loved Old Faithful. I'd love to go back, maybe in September or May.
BTW, cars were lined up 15 deep across all the entry lanes, each paying $20. Wow! $$$$.
I went from Yellowstone to Glacier and thought it was heaven on Earth! So I'm not anti-NP.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I grant you that July to mid-August is just miserable for crowds, especially last year. The big cheeses up in Mammoth are looking hard at limiting visitation somehow. Can't see how.

At any rate, it isn't for everyone. And I certainly won't argue about the food -- the Lake Hotel has the only decent dinners in the place and they cost a car payment...

But if you do decide to give it a second chance, after Labor Day is prime time, especially toward the end of the month. Bring your own food, good hiking boots and your binoculars.
Dismissive cat
Old 04-13-2017, 12:05 PM   #9
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
A few years ago we arrived at the west entrance to Yellowstone with no reservations. At the gate they have a sign board with CG availability. Or in our case CG NON-availability. We found ample camping at the Nat. Forest just to the north of the town of West Yellowstone. Electric only on site with water available nearby. I'm don't recall but I suspect they also had dump available. Very nice CG's and with the access pass very affordable too.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
That is Baker's Hole Campground and, as you say, is a great backup. Many sites there can be reserved through Recreation.Gov but they always have a few "walk up" sites.

Right on the Madison River.
Dismissive cat
Old 04-13-2017, 03:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Nice Campground Near Yellowstone

Hi,
Here is another option near the East entrance to Yellowstone, Buffalo Bill State Park.
http://travel.wyo-park.com/campgroun...-park/Overview
It is just beautiful and has reservable and first come first serve campsites. You overlook the Buffalo Bill Cody Reservoir with water and electric hookups. It is located between Cody and Yellowstone (about 9 miles from Cody and then about 20 more miles to Yellowstone).
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #12
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
There are a few spots on the road into the East gate entrance to Yellowstone that seem to be overlooked during peak season. If you aren't dependent on hook-ups, try one of the more limited amenity sites:

http://www.townwalls.com/location-Bi...WY-259831.aspx

http://www.townwalls.com/location-Wa...WY-259880.aspx

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
There are actually 7 NFS campground along the East entrance road (US 16/14). In July, even they fill up. Several have electric hookups, two have dump stations. Some are reservable through Recreation. Gov (Shoshone Natl Forest). Always good to be at a "first come, first served" campground at about 1100 when folks start leaving.
Dismissive cat
Old 04-13-2017, 06:59 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Waynesville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWC View Post
We will be driving westbound through South Dakota Badlands and Yellowstone area in mid to late June/early July (I know, it's going to be a busy season). Any advice on places to stay with our 25' Serenity in the area around Custer, SD and also Yellowstone? Anyone have experience with the non-reservable campgrounds in the National and State Parks? How many days should we plan for each location?
How is the drive from Yellowstone to Vernon, B.C.?
Thanks
You're embarking on an exciting trip. We did that route (as a part of a longer trip) between mid-August and mid-September last year. We did have reservations all along our route and we selected our stays based on the fact that our 25 feet, 77 Tradewind no longer has a bathroom - thus the selections.

We stayed in both South and North Stockade Lake campgrounds in Custer State Park. The South CG had the amenity of CCC-built outdoor fireplaces. The sites had resonable seperation. Once you dock your trailer in Custer you will be driving miles and miles through the park looking for/at wildlife and spetacular scenery. It is AMAZING!

After Custer, we stayed in a quaint private park, Deer Park, in Buffalo, Wy. It was akin to a parking lot, but we only slept there. I didn't even unpack the outdoor kitchen. We did some spectacular day-trips from there. Look it up.

From there we traveled through Cody, WY to North Fork, Buffalo Bill State Park. Only spent a couple nights, but well worth it. Cody is fun, gives you a chance to change oil in your truck, restock groceries and get a tooth crowned at an amazing dentist. (Don't ask)

Fishing Bridge is only a short, but spectacular drive from Buffalo Bill. We stayed 10 nights. It snowed on us Sept 6 and we had to pack-up all outdoor kitchen parts daily. But I wouldn't trade it for anything. We drove mile-after-mile viewing wildlife, sat hour-after-hour while those ahead of us, viewed wildlife. Yellowstone was a highlight. Not to be missed. Don't sacrifice the visit for the accommodations. Fishing Bridge is a parking lot, but you won't notice.
2016 RAM 2500
FL Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:27 PM   #15
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
If you're coming all the way from Ontario, we'd recommend getting a reservation if you want to stay in the park. If you want to try your luck with the first-come, first served campgrounds, be aware that people will start lining up at 9:00 am hoping to bag a site as the previous camper vacates it.

We've stayed at the Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone, and can recommend it. The price is a bit on the high side, but the staff were wonderful in helping when we lost a credit card. Most of the thermal features are on the west side of the park.

Yellowstone is a huge park and the speed limits are low, so hopefully you've got at least a few days there. Also, you won't be that far from the Grand Teton National Park, which you could even visit as a day outing from West Yellowstone. It is also well worth a visit.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:18 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
one more comment re the burns, including the huge one in '88 that was in the nightly news each day. The fires opened up views and vistas for the ordinary visitors that would have never been seen by folks traveling the roads. The burns were a disaster for the critters at the time, but had huge ecological benefits (including for the wildlife) and for all of us visitors. Safe travels. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
We went to West Yellowstone @Grizzly camp grounds, what a 5***** place. We took day trips into the park and had a great time, saw lots of wild life & had dinner at the old lodge two times, food was great.

Going back this summer for another week.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Custer State Park is one of my all time favorite places! Great food in the lodges, and the loop road is outstanding. Don't drive the AS there because of the "Pigtail bridges" and tunnels, although it might fit.
However, I stayed in Rapid City, and can't say the RV parks were anything to get excited about.
Yellowstone in the summer? I hated it! Massive crowds, roads under construction, no place to park, I didn't see a bird, let alone wildlife. Food is vendor food microwaved under plastic wrap.
Since you're in SD, how about Glacier NP instead? The most beautiful place in America?

(I know, I'm the only person to hate Yellowstone, and I didn't even mention that 1/3 of the trees were dead from the fires. I was there in August, so I hit the worst it had to offer.)
No you're not. We were there last August. No camping available, very crowded, a huge portion of trees burnt, Old Faithful, after waiting 90 mins in hot sun, gave us a little burp. Very disappointing experience. Went on to Bryce Canyo, and Zion National Park both well worth the trip. Also Moab a great place to visit. Badlands was interesting but would not do it again.
carol1farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:30 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Western Springs , Illinois
Big pine campground in Custer sd and Grizzely RV park in West Yellowstone mt both parks are close to the areas you want to visit
wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:30 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I recommend you drive to Jackson Hole, stay there and do a day trip to Teton NP. Then drive over the pass to Driggs, Idaho and drive north to Island Park, Idaho and stay there. Then you can make day trips into Yellowstone as you wish. Having lived and worked in the Yellowstone area for 10 years, there are many more nice campgrounds outside the NP's and way less crowds. If you really want to see the wild part of Yellowstone, turn at Ashton, Idaho and drive to the SW corner of the Park at the Bechler Ranger Station. Take the trail up to the Bechler River for amazing wilderness and unparalleled fishing. Take your bear spray.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote