Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2019, 02:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Summerville , SC
Bad Wheel Bearing in Schenectady, NY

Bad wheel bearing on 2017 FC 25’. It’s Sunday of course so we made it to a campground thankfully. Any recommendations for a repair center in the area? Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I may not be able to send a thank you to responders as no WiFi and poor cell. But, thanks in advance.
pjmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi - I don’t believe a whee bearing is unique to Airstream (i could be wrong....). If so - here’s a search for RV repair near you:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+r...&client=safari
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Ask at the campground about a mobile RV tech. A bearing swap out isn't rocket science unless the spindle got scorched...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
By the way, what makes you think you have a bearing problem?
Dismissive cat
Old 07-28-2019, 06:09 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Summerville , SC
Thanks for both replies. I have used the google search but its Sunday and no one is available by phone. I do have a call into a mobile tech but again no response yet. I think it is a bearing because of the elevated temperature of the film and the squeaky wheel noise. When I apply the brake no difference is sound. I could be wrong of course. If you have additional insight I am all ears.

Thanks again to both of you.

Patrick
Old 07-28-2019, 06:42 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
You will need the remove the bearing, races and seals and match the numbers at an auto parts store...NAPA has been my go to.
If the bearing is worn out the wheel will most likely be loose, jack up the AS grab tire at 6 & 12 o'clock, and see how much it moves. Spin and note any roughness, grinding.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_28dc.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	654.2 KB
ID:	347870  
Old 07-28-2019, 06:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Doesn’t the OP have Neverlube bearings in a 2017 ?
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:10 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
Recommend to call Whites RV on Duanesburg Road in Rotterdam. They can do the Airstream wheel bearing replacement very quickly and correctly, and while you wait.

In fact, if you remove the wheel needing repair and already have the replacement bearing with you, most any independent auto shop can do the bearing job.
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:58 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Summerville , SC
Thanks again everyone. I will be making calls to service shops shortly and try to make arrangements for the repair. Your help is much appreciated.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:22 AM   #10
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmarkham View Post
Thanks again everyone. I will be making calls to service shops shortly and try to make arrangements for the repair. Your help is much appreciated.
Please let us know how things go and who you used.

Wishing you the best!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:42 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Summerville , SC
Will do.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:03 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well, just a thought -- been reports of self adjusting brakes coming apart, especially right rear wheels. Description of that failure kind of matches what you are seeing...
Dismissive cat
Old 07-29-2019, 08:57 AM   #13
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Bad Wheel Bearing in Schenectady, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Well, just a thought -- been reports of self adjusting brakes coming apart, especially right rear wheels. Description of that failure kind of matches what you are seeing...

A worthy comment.

Might even see parts trying to come out between drum and backing plate. Visible possibly with wheel on just gotta slide under and peak a look.

Dexter Nev-R-Adjust Brake Inspection and R&R
http://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194437
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I would bet at least a six pack of beer that it's a brake problem rather than a wheel bearing. The brakes seem to have a lot more issues than the bearings. Neither one is in any way unique. They go on a lot of trailers of all sorts. Anybody who does truck repairs should also be quite able to do the brakes or the bearings on an AS. Parts wise, both *should* be in stock locally.

All that said, I'd expect a multi step process. First step would be to pull the wheel (or wheels) and see what's wrong. Next step would be to go get the parts required. (They are common, but nobody hauls them around or has them at the shop). Then you have a pass at putting the parts into the trailer. Likely a two day sort of thing unless you are lucky.

Indeed one very real question will pop to mind: If one is shot, what about the others? Do I have them pull all the wheels and check? That part is very much up to you.

Once they pull the wheel, you will have a process of re-torquing the bolts as you head down the road. This requires a torque wrench, the right socket, and an extension (3" is plenty) to keep from bashing your knuckles on the tire as you do the work. If you don't have one already, might as well go shopping while they fix what's wrong.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:49 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Summerville , SC
Thanks again everyone. I pulled the tire and rim off. Didn’t see any misc. parts falling out. Could not get the dust cap off so got stopped there. After calling about 10 places finally got Hyde’s RV and Boat to look at it tomorrow morning (Tuesday) at 8:30. So, making the best of the extra day and a half we are spending here. Cleaning, laundry etc. Fingers crossed we can get repaired tomorrow and back on the road. Heading home to South Carolina after a wonderful trip to Nova Scotia.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:51 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Hurley , New York
Albany RV just off the Northway on Rt 7 East (you can see them from the NW) is an AS dealer. Bought mine there.
nuttinbutxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:10 AM   #17
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Did the dust cap say Nev-R-Lube?

FWIW I’m in SC too.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmarkham View Post
Thanks again everyone. I pulled the tire and rim off. Didn’t see any misc. parts falling out. Could not get the dust cap off so got stopped there.
Bearing Cap Removal:

These Never Lube caps are very snug. You need a sharp edge chisel and a small hammer to work the cap off. WATCH the mechanic and you will get the hang of it.

You tap at an angle to REMOVE, slowing rotating the drum as you remove the cap. It has a real fine edge that is hard to get an edge if you are using a dull edged chisel. Tap, tap, tap as if you are a Dentist. Not breaking concrete...

The cap goes ON, just as snug. Use a wood block on the cap flat surface, so not to damage it. Tap, tap, tap upon the wood block to reinstall the cap squarely to meet the drum. If it is off a little... probably nothing I would worry about.

Spinning the Wheel on the Drum for first clues:

When you get the wheel off the ground... you spin the wheel to hear a bad bearing. It will make gritty/grinding sounds 100% of the time. If bearings are loose... stranger sounds and this can also damage the drum, where the bearing assembly is pressed into the drum. POPPING and grinding... predict the worse option.

Maybe the brake shoes are tight, as you have the SELF Adjusting Brakes... creating HEAT until they wear. When you spin the wheel it will not make a gritty/grinding noise... that you will understand as well. Listen to the spinning wheel next to this one. Since you have time and the mechanic will need the wheel in the air to begin to check it out, learn something. On the Job Training.

As said before on a previous post. Grip the wheel on the drum and see if there is 'play'. Does the wheel wiggle. It will be noticed. These Never Lube Bearings are pressed and the nut is high torque. If it does not wiggle, compare the sound to your other wheel... probably brake shoe issue if they both have a slightly tight brake shoe, or wear.

If you THINK it may be wiggling... probably a good imagination at work.

Tight brake shoes would create heat. The hot one may be locking up and you can check that, towing over some gravel and the others do not lock up when hard braking at a slow speed.

This is an opportunity, believe it or not, to diagnose any future issues. Do not be bashful and WATCH and Understand. A Dexter Dealer in the Denver area wanted $100 to look at one wheel on my trailer, IF I brought the trailer to him.

You become a self service guy by experimenting. Some day, hopefully not soon, all of this will make you feel more confident to diagnose and do minor repairs on the road. We have ALL been in these situations.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:11 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Summerville , SC
Jacked the trailer up again. No side to side play.Had wife apply brakes and wheel would still spin easily. So, at this point I am assuming it is a brake issue. Will know tomorrow AM if all goes well. Thanks everyone again!
Old 07-29-2019, 05:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Stuck in Schenectady........

Just saw this post......if Hyde's can’t help you or doesn’t show up, send me a PM. My business is in Schenectady, where are you staying ? Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote