Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2019, 06:12 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Summerville , SC
Yes, never lube on dust cap

Staying at Frosty Acres but hope to get repaired and back on the road tomorrow.
pjmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:17 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Summerville , SC
FYI Albany RV also known as RV One and an Airstream dealer was no help at all. Said they didn’t do any chassis work at all and had no service recommendations. Strange response I thought! How does a dealer operate like that? Perhaps I misunderstood but I don’t think so.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:17 PM   #23
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Nev-E-Lube is a sealed cartridge bearing assembly, very much like many modern wheel bearings.

To inspect the brake shoes and drums the nut that retains the bearing and hub is removed, I gave a thumb nail description in the brake inspection link I posted in post 13. That's from a hands on in my driveway R&R.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:21 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmarkham View Post
FYI Albany RV also known as RV One and an Airstream dealer was no help at all. Said they didn’t do any chassis work at all and had no service recommendations. Strange response I thought! How does a dealer operate like that? Perhaps I misunderstood but I don’t think so.
No surprise with those yoyos (I am being nice I would call them idiots). They know nothing, have stupid long waits because they sell so many more SOB's, don't talk to you nice, and think you owe them a dinner after you pay them for the service. More important is they fairly recently became an Airstream dealer and before that were a low standard high volume SOB center that suddenly became an Airstream dealer......I was not impressed at all when I tried to have them repack a bearing for me and it was going to be 6 months out.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:24 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Jacked the trailer up again. No side to side play.Had wife apply brakes and wheel would still spin easily. So, at this point I am assuming it is a brake issue. Will know tomorrow AM if all goes well. Thanks everyone again!
They are electronic brakes, correct? How did your wife apply brakes, with the TV running?

Your initial posts said a squeak and elevated temps on the film, not sure what that is but I might just run it....not sure if I can recall all the times I just said screw it, but I know I’ve never regretted it....
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:47 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Jacked the trailer up again. No side to side play.Had wife apply brakes and wheel would still spin easily. So, at this point I am assuming it is a brake issue. Will know tomorrow AM if all goes well. Thanks everyone again!
My 2016 F350 Ford, somewhere in the operating manual, said something about using the brakes of the truck to activate the brakes on the trailer. It must be moving... the truck and tailer, a minimum speed. Otherwise there will be NO current going to the trailer.

Try using the 'manual brake system'. You squeeze the lever on the dash that increases the voltage to the trailer's brakes.

I did your test once and thought my brakes were not working. I assume this is to avoid ruining your brake magnets of the trailer when stopped at a red light with your tow vehicle's brakes engaged. Makes sense to me... but you may want to check that out.

Since getting older I recall distant facts, but as you get into more current numbers and details... they become a bit more fuzzy. Like the National Debt. It is there, but no one knows what to do with it... kind of thing.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:58 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

You now have your first experience with a "less than ideal" AS dealer. Unfortunately they are very much a mixed bag. Some have terrific parts and service, others (as far as I can tell) only consider sales to be an important function. No parts in stock and no real ability to fix much of anything ...

===

I have indeed run down the road after finding a hot hub. Is hot the same as warm and just where is the boundary? ... who knows. In my case we stopped now and then to check and rolled safely into the repair facility (JC in this case).

At least on my brakes, there was no mistaking them for working units. It was obvious once the wheel was off that there was a problem. No fiddling to find this or that. Guess I lost the beer bet

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:20 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Hurley , New York
Wish I were aware of the reputation of RV One before I purchased mine. Had been to Colonial when we were trying to decide what to get but then the DW spotted the AS's one day heading up the NorthWay. We stopped in and bought the 16 on the spot. Colonial didnt have any 16's in stock at the time and the wife really wanted to see one. Hopefully Colonial wont hold a grudge if I call them for any service.
nuttinbutxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:59 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Summerville , SC
Had it looked at today. Bearing fine, brake bad. Service guys tried to get the brake parts but nobody in the Albany, NY area had them (including RV One, An Airstream Dealer). Quickest get was 5 day out. I told them to pull the offending brake out and reinstall the hub and wheel and headed back to South Carolina with 3 trailer brakes. All went well. Will get brake repaired after I return home. May just buy a whole extra set of all brake parts just in case of issue in the future.

Thanks to everyone for your help and information.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:58 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Recommend you call Dexter and explain situation. They have provided free replacement parts for similar situations, perhaps not as old, but it's worth a shot.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:20 PM   #31
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
I think that was a reasonable decision. You had the damaged parts removed, the wheel turns on a good bearing and you just need to change flight plans to accommodate for one less trailer brake.

If you'd like a few more ideas or help with repair in SC and possible recourse, PM me.

Travel safe.

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 07-30-2019, 05:23 PM   #32
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
duplicate
Old 07-30-2019, 06:34 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
You will need to do the opposite brake as well to keep the braking effort even. Just buy the whole backing plate assy. Four bolts, splice the brake wires, you are in business. Last time I looked, about $65 apiece.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:27 PM   #34
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Part number

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
You will need to do the opposite brake as well to keep the braking effort even. Just buy the whole backing plate assy. Four bolts, splice the brake wires, you are in business. Last time I looked, about $65 apiece.
I have the 3800# axles. You wouldn’t know the part numbers for the whole backing plate assemblies would you?

Thanks
Dave
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:32 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
Your experience with Albany RV mirrors the stories that I have heard about them from many campers in the area. Good to avoid them...
Old 08-07-2019, 06:16 PM   #36
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrrand View Post
I have the 3800# axles. You wouldn’t know the part numbers for the whole backing plate assemblies would you?

Thanks
Dave
EDIT

At others suggestion, I called Dexter with my axle serial numbers and they gave me the correct part numbers for replacement brake assemblies, hardware and bearings, quick and easy. The thing that confused me, when I tried to figure it out on my own, while my axles are 3800#, all the brake assemblies were described as 10 and 12 inch 3.5K, 4.4K, 6K and so on. Turns out my 38K axles use 12" X 2" 6000# brake assemblies. Go figure!

Special thanks to Gary in SC for his assistance. Received from ETrailer today a spare set, left and right, mounting hardware and a spare bearing, just in case. ETrailer had it shipped in two days, freight included and matched pricing I found from another supplier. Awesome service and people! Hate to have to carry all this stuff plus a few special tools (additional 40 lbs.), but if things go south, I will have what I need to address the brakes and if a bearing fails, I will have the bearing and should be able to find a truck service to install in the drum. A spare drum with installed bearing runs $400.00

Dave
WBCCI #2584
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote