Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2014, 07:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Backing into my driveway--A hearty thank you!

Several months ago, I asked for advice on backing into my driveway. It's a very narrow driveway, off a very narrow street, narrower than the Sport 22.

Someone here suggested laying down a hose in the street and driveway, so that I could use it as a guide for the wheels. I didn't do it the first two or three times, because it seemed kind of silly. Many bad words were spoken.

Then this weekend I did it. Boy, what a difference. It was so easy! So many thanks to whoever suggested it!
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I also used advice from others on the forums and for the first time with several different trailers I was able to back inon the first attempt. Very simple useful advice. Thank you. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Often reference markers are needed. I will use an extension cord, hose, or some miniature red cones that I found somewhere in the sports dept. at Walmart.

I remember suggesting that to some one a few months back. Maybe that was you?
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Could be, I have to back past a tree that I cannot see in my mirrors. I know I can clear it , but with reference points I can be positive. I have to back to the left slightly up hill and the tree is on the other side out of mirror view. Unnerving even when you know you will miss it. I use the edge of the driveway and curb as a reference and after the initial turn I then use the edge of the garage. If I am close to these I know I will miss the tree and only have to straighten up slightly to back past the garage. I also do not worry about the trAiler being parallel to the garage. I back it into the same spot every time at an angle. The only thing I need to do is be sure I do not back too far and hit my fence, again! I need another reference point! All of this I learned from helpers on the forums. Never too old to learn something new. Thanks again, jim
Old 05-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
While in a rest area a few years back I saw the word "GOAL" written on the mirrors on a semi. On closer inspection In smaller print it said "Get Out And Look".
That's something I do a lot of. I find it really difficult to judge distance in a 2 dimensional mirror
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The older I get I find it more and more difficult to judge distance straight ahead, a sign to drive more slowly since I cannot get younger! Jim
Old 05-30-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Rick, I think you suggested it to me. Or I overheard you suggest it to someone else. Or something. Anyway, many thanks for the suggestion.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I've suggested it... not this time I think, but I'm now updating the suggestion to GET 50 feet of blue or red LED light tubing because sooner or later you'll back in with no moon in a dark park.

My night vision is still good in a moonlit night, but boy what a pain when your shiny metal hiney is the only "moon".

Even if you have a partner guiding you in If you can't see him it's WORSE than nothing because you're afraid of hitting him. With blue or red lights they won't be bright enough to blind you to overhead branches, etc. but you will be able to see that you've got your wheels positioned correctly.

OH and generally is it just me or is it a bit harder to back in with a Hensley than with a Reese dual cam? Seems to make it too easy to over or under correct.

Paula