Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2003, 07:14 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Question Austin,TX-which route would you recommend

I'm planning on stopping over in Austin,TX while traveling to NM. I was wondering which of the following routes are more enjoyable/relaxing?

From Shreveport,LA via I-20: take US79 southwest to Austin

Or drive I-20 to Kilgore,TX and take SR31 to Waco & then south on I-35?

When ever traveling, I try to drive a new route. I've been across I-10 before, but I haven't been east on I-20 from MS.

Many Thanks-John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 07:53 AM   #2
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
John,
any route to avoid I-10 East of Houston (washboard) and Houston.
You will find that any of the two routes you chose will take you much longer than taking I-20 into Dallas, staying on Loop 635, then taking 35E south.
I have driven that route many times (50+) and if you time it right (before or after rush hour) , Dallas is easy. I 35 south is very busy and fast, but some stretches offer 3 lanes.
I can offer you a land line for the night, but only street parking. Tune into KUT 90.5 to listen to John Aielli's famous Eklektikos from 9am til 2pm weekdays.
You also can listen to KUT via the net www.kut.org
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 08:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
was in austin area for xmas and we did the I-20 to tyler the sr 31 to waco. it is mostly 4 lane road some construction sw of corsicana . but you dont see the sights on I-20 ,i-35 thru dallas. just as soon as you get on I-35 you wind up in a construction mess in the desoto area . traffic moves on on I-35 IF YOU KEEP UP WITH TRAFFIC TRY 75/80 MPH. if you have the time i prefer sr 31 thru waco. if you are a sams club member stop in waco $1.18 is what we paid for a fill up.
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 08:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

55 mph

Thanks for the infor. I drive max 55 mph, I just like taking it easy. I don't have any time constrains, so I'd rather hang on the two-lane if at all possible. I also don't enjoy holding up traffic and since I-35 sounds like a beeline, I'd rather avoid this.

Any comments on US79?

Peter- thanks for the offer and I just may take you up on it !

John
Old 01-12-2003, 08:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Austin forum members

There seems to about 8 forum members in the Austin area. Do you guys have an A/S RV park near by?

John
Old 01-12-2003, 08:50 AM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Austin

There is an Airstream park at Hillsboro, north of Waco. That is the closest one. I haven't stopped by there yet, but a lot of our members use it to leave Austin at non-rush hours and then start from there the next morning.

Personally, I prefer US79 between Austin and Shreveport. It is pretty farm country most of the way and a lot of it is 4-lane. Most of the two-lane has wide shoulders so that you can easily let traffic go by. No real big hills and the small towns are no problem. I have probably driven this route 50 times.

I do not like the SR31 route at all and have only taken it twice. First, I like to stay off I35 as much as possible and second, it isn't particularly faster than 79 and it is not nearly as pretty a route to travel.

I35, just about anywhere in this area is a real pain, especially through Austin. Austin traffic is pure hell during the rush hours and the afternoon rush starts by about 3:30 nowdays.

I have to differ with Peter that going through Dallas is faster then using 79 unless you drive faster on the interstate than the 55 you quote. I tow on 79 between 60 and 65, the same speed that I tow on the freeways. The distance through Dallas is greater and I hate I35 between here and Dallas like poison.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 09:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Austin

I would avoid Houston as well, hwy 79 is a good ride. Spent a few days on Toledo Bend last summer, the drive was enjoyable, can't beat east Texas for slowing your pace. I actually did a trip to FL and back 12 years ago with my old Playmor trailer years ago, came back the north route. I don't think there is really an A/S park, I guess that means a park for A/S's only in Austin. I have put mine at a park located close downtown for the relative's to stay in. Pecan Grove is the name, kinda funky but definitely "Austin". Close to everything. I have also stayed at "City Park", a city of Austin park which is beautiful located on the Colorado river west of town. Only problem is they lock you in after 10 pm so if you want to party late you have to walk a mile or two from the gate to your site. Not the end of the world, I guess. There is always the KOA on the south end of town, probably my last choice.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 09:46 AM   #8
Contributing Member

KOA in Austin? Not any more.

It's not a KOA any more. They went independent a couple of years ago. It is now "Lone Star RV Resort". I hosted a TrailManor rally there a couple of years ago and they are real nice folks to deal with. Right on I36 in south Austin. Lots of shade, but some highway noise.

There is also Crestview on I35, down by Buda. Very reasonable rates last I saw.

There are also a bunch of RV parks out on Lake Travis. There are at least a half dozen on Hudson Bend alone. Do a search on Austin RV parks and there is a list as long as your arm.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-12-2003, 09:48 AM   #9
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Chas,
forgot all about the Pecan Grove on Barton Springs. I bought my first 67 VW Micro bus from a guy at that park in the 70's. I wonder how busy they get, it sure would be close to the action for someone visiting Austin.
Another option close to the city is Mc Kinney State park, which offers generous spaces and lots of hike and bike trails.
AIR #13
Old 01-12-2003, 12:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

US79

Again, thanks to all.........

US79 sounds like the trick! This is the type of road I really enjoy traveling down.

I'm leaving FL on Feb 24th and I have until the last week of March to get to my final destination. My sighting seeing/exploring really will begin as I'm leaving Austin. I'm planning on heading out on US183.

Looking forward to meeting some of the forum members in the greater Austin area.

John
Old 01-12-2003, 01:04 PM   #11
Contributing Member

Welcome

John

I'm a retired type and free most times. Feel free to call on me for any local info or help with anything. Maybe we could meet for lunch while you are here.

Austin is the live music capital and there is always something to do around here.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-12-2003, 01:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Sure will.......

John,

That would be great! Also I'd like see how your dinnette redesign came out.

Thanks-John

At this rate, I'll probably be in Austin for 5-6 days
Old 01-12-2003, 03:44 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

My 2¢

You might check out Pedernales State Park - it's not far from John's neck of the woods (no more than about 20-30 minutes down hwy 290 if I remember correctly from when I lived out that way) and it's one of my favorite spots in Texas.

Can people actually camp at Pecan Grove? I would have thought it would be chock full with a waiting list of people years long. It's walking distance from Barton Springs and Zilker Park, and probably one of the most sought after addresses in the city. That would be very cool if you could swing it. Shady Grove Restaurant next door has an Airstream as the ladies' room. (At least I think it's an Airstream - they have another one on the premises with someone living in it and a Do Not Disturb sign out front.)

You definitely want to avoid I-35 at all costs once you get into Austin proper. It's no fun even in a zippy sports car.

Look forward to seeing you - I'm Central/Campus area. I don't know of anything closer to town than the former KOA that John mentioned South of here on 35 but I'll let you know if I run across anything interesting!

You'll love it here. We have Ph.Ds waiting tables so they don't have to leave!
4521red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 03:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Cool Beans!

I rather drive into town and stay where it's quite.

Thanks for the infor- John
Old 01-12-2003, 07:55 PM   #15
Contributing Member

Lunch

There are quite a bunch of us here in Austin. We all need to get together for lunch while you're here. I've never met any of the others yet, tho I hope to see Peter and Holly later this month at the Vintage Get Together.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-12-2003, 08:06 PM   #16
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Or we could have a weekend camp out in one of the near-by state parks, before we run John out of town.
AIR #13
Old 01-12-2003, 08:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Red,

Pecan grove is an actual operating park, takes overniters, there is even another one next door, not sure of the name of it. I had a retired friend who lived there in a huge Avion for a while. As I said before I have put up the relatives there in my A/S's before, I would visit and we would go over to Chuy's ( a mexican restaurant for you non-Austinites) close by (yeah, it was one of the places where Dubya's girl was busted) and get loaded up on margaritas and just walk back to the park. No need to worry about a designated driver. I think the women's RR at Shady Grove is an old Spartan, I haven't been there in a while myself. I think Pedernales is a long drive (if you want to be close to Austin that is).

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 10:43 AM   #18
Rivet Master

I don't know when I will arrive in Austin(as I don't put an time constraints on myself while traveling) but I'll call all of you when I'm about 2-3 days out. Again I'm leaving FL on Feb 24th, but you never know how the weather will be, possible break downs or some cool side tracks along the way.

I'd hate for you all of you to make plans for a weekend get together and then I arrive on a Tuesday .

So let's play-it-by-air John

p.s. It's awesome to have so many extend an interest in meeting each other. Got to love this forum!
Old 01-13-2003, 01:02 PM   #19
Contributing Member

Close call

Just realized that you will be leaving Florida while I am away teaching computer classes at the Region 9 computer rally in Zavalla. I'll leave for Zavalla 2/22 and get home 3/1 late or 3/2 early.

So, if you are here anytime in the first week of March, I should be pretty much free.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-17-2022, 11:34 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Missouri
Pecan Groves is a great location but almost impossible to get into as most spots are long term stay. The Groves restaurant is no longer open, what a shame, but the land was just too valuable so investors gobbled it up
cfishii is offline   Reply With Quote