Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Austin TX to Madison WI

We are taking the '54 Flying Cloud on its first big journey labor day weekend and heading up to Madison Wi for a wedding from Austin TX. Other than looking at mapquest, is there a place on the forum I can look for advice on which way to go that is TT friendly and parks along the way that are a must stop for overnight stays. Anyone made this or part of this trip that might have some advice for me, the wife and the 1 1/2 year old. Looking forward to the trip. We were thinking of taking 3 days to make the drive up and 3 to come back home (avg 6-7 hrs per day of towing) . Thanks in advance for any advice
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I hate I-35 and hate the Dallas & Fort Worth area even more. I take I-35 to Waco, then TX31 to Tyler. From Tyler, I jog up to Mount Pleasant where there is a very nice KOA where we often stop. You can bypass Athens and Tyler and all the roads are good. Mount Pleasant is a little over 300 miles and is a good first day, especially since we must go the full length of Austin which means a 9am start since I can't get my wife started by 7am.

Then I-30 to Little Rock (bypass), Memphis, St Louis, and north to Madison. I have grandkids in St Louis and this is our usual route to visit them.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:35 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
By the way

You are planning to average about 430 miles per day. That is exhausting when towing, especially when using non-interstates. I averaged about that much for 5 days a couple of years ago when returning from the Michigan UP and my wife said "never again".

Remember that your trailer, if using ST tires, is running on tires rated at 65 mph.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
We have a daughter in Madison and we have stayed three times very close to downtown at Lake Farm County Park (in column along the left side). It was developed recently with the assistance of the state parks system and is modern and very convenient. The trees are a bit young and not grown up but it's usually very pleasant up here around Labor Day. Reservations would be recommended for the weekend. A thread revolving around this park - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...ers-23683.html

I'm a Bexar County native and have driven the route quite a number of times. North of Hot Springs, Arkansas, is the pleasant and shady Buffalo River (similar character to the Guadeloupe R.). You'd not want to plan a Eureka Springs, AR, stop with a trailer behind you! Going thru Arkansas was really out of the way -- we did it once as an MN-to-TX vacation staying in motels when the kids were young.

Northeast Iowa -- oh say, from Backbone State Park up to Prairie du Chien, WI, is beautiful -- big rounded hills and valleys leading down to the Mississippi river. A lot of grandeur! SW Wisconsin is hilly and nice -- driving is slow and roundabout in places -- we've stayed at Governor Dodge and Blue Mound state parks -- nothing necessarily spectacular but Gov Dodge is near the interesting town of Mineral Point (a small scale version of Galena, IL).

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:44 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Stay as far away from Chicago as you can, the roads are all ripped up and it's a total zoo.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
If you come up I-35 to I-44 and on up to St. Louis, come stay with us for a night. We are on old Rt. 66 just off I-44 in Chandler, Oklahoma. We'd love to have you.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:30 PM   #7
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Jefe... we used to play at the Continental Club years ago - Southside Band - I think Diana Cantu was also singing with us then... hummm... back in the 80's I think. Think we also did a mobile recording thing there with Tex Thomas & his dangling wranglers... or was that Austex lounge...? He might of been sober for the first song...

Oops... don't want to hijack the thread re: Madison... uh, I agree with Pahaska. Great route...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon
Jefe... we used to play at the Continental Club years ago - Southside Band - I think Diana Cantu was also singing with us then... hummm... back in the 80's I think. Think we also did a mobile recording thing there with Tex Thomas & his dangling wranglers... or was that Austex lounge...? He might of been sober for the first song...

Oops... don't want to hijack the thread re: Madison... uh, I agree with Pahaska. Great route...
Blast from the past. I spent 9 years out between Wimberley and Driftwood. Got my ’67 Tradewind in San Marcos.

I also agree with Pahaska.

There are some campgrounds, including a KOA, at Crystal Hill Road in North Little Rock. They are about 5 miles west of the I-30 I-40 interchange. I know it is the “wrong way,” but not far. I haven’t stayed at the KOA for many years, so no update on its current condition. It was where I stayed when I first left the hill country.

Have a safe, fun, trip and keep us updated.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:49 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jefe
We are taking the '54 Flying Cloud on its first big journey labor day weekend and heading up to Madison Wi for a wedding from Austin TX. Other than looking at mapquest, is there a place on the forum I can look for advice on which way to go that is TT friendly and parks along the way that are a must stop for overnight stays. Anyone made this or part of this trip that might have some advice for me, the wife and the 1 1/2 year old. Looking forward to the trip. We were thinking of taking 3 days to make the drive up and 3 to come back home (avg 6-7 hrs per day of towing) . Thanks in advance for any advice
I have travelled between Arizona and through northern Teas to Illinois recently. I belong to AAA and I use their Trip Tik program for the best route, but not always the most interesting. If you would like I could give you the names of the RV Parks that I have used. I always look for the best parks in the area with full hook ups. I always stay on major roads so I have access to fuel and resturants as I like to periodically stop and rest or eat.
woodedareas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:50 PM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Come on up to Dallas and camp north of town. Use 75 North thru Muskogee to Big Cabin at 44. It's a great drive once past McKinney, TX. From 44 you can trace out Route 66 (alternate) as the rest of the road to Chicago is the old 66. Plenty of website help.

Nice truckstop at Big Cabin. Used it many times as a driver, and later when taking son back and forth to college in Chicago. The tollroad IS too fast for a little trailer, but I imagine one can find a nice route through the Ozarks that captures a nice bit of scenery.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:02 PM   #11
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Blast from the past. I spent 9 years out between Wimberley and Driftwood. Got my ’67 Tradewind in San Marcos.
Vaughan
Vaughn...

We lived in Bear Creek Oaks... just before the Salt Lick... and Driftwood. Whoa...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:47 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
North East , Texas
The Grant River COE park in Potosi, WI is a great park. It's on the Mississippi river and it's very quiet. Potosi is about 1 hour south of Madison. If you go 35 or 335 steer clear of El Dorado State Park near Eldorado KS.

I hope you find some nice parks along the way. Stop at the Amana Colonies in Iowa. Remarkable place. There are a few good restaurants as well as a lot of neat shops and wineries there.

Good Luck,
Ty
Old_Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:35 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
good route

We just made a trip to and from Austin from central Illinois, and tried the TX31 route suggested by Pahaska. It is a nice road, lightly travelled (at least on a Monday) and fairly scenic, we enjoyed going that way.

I would suggest that if you are going to go from I-40 to I-55 west of Memphis, try to avoid that area in the late afternoon. It can be heavily congested with truck traffic around that time as the bridge into Memphis becomes a bottleneck.

If you do stay around Little Rock, the Whole Hog Cafe in North Little Rock has fantastic BBQ. The Whole Hog Platter, their sampler plate, is wonderful.
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote