Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Colfax , California
Attractions between Utah & Chicago???

I've flown, driven, & hitch-hiked from coast to coast many times, but now we're going to Chicago to visit daughter (Navy doctor) and her family. As we're newly retired we want to extend our travel time a couple of weeks on either side of the week including Aug 24th.

My problem is I don't know what to go out of my way to see after the Nat'l Parks in Utah. Would appreciate suggestions/advice as to attractions to fill a leisurely pace through the middle states.

Thanks, Clint
clintn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintn
I've flown, driven, & hitch-hiked from coast to coast many times, but now we're going to Chicago to visit daughter (Navy doctor) and her family. As we're newly retired we want to extend our travel time a couple of weeks on either side of the week including Aug 24th.

My problem is I don't know what to go out of my way to see after the Nat'l Parks in Utah. Would appreciate suggestions/advice as to attractions to fill a leisurely pace through the middle states.
I don't know of anything specific to offer you with regards to attractions, but I can tell you how I find attractions when I'm taking a new route. First I figure out the route I'm taking. Then I do research on the Internet on the towns that my trip is taking me through. Invariably, I can compile a long list of things to do between points A and B just from that research alone. I hope this helps!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:27 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Colfax , California
Thanks. I do all of that too. What I'm hoping to learn is that there's something specific someone on the forum knows about that I should go out of my way to see.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
no other attractions in the middle states

I am sorry, but once you cross I-25 in Colorado, there are no other attractions in the middle states other than the Mississippi River.

It is best to load up your multi-disk CD player with a good book, get on an Interstate, set the cruise control and bomb on by to Chicago.

Quote:

Thanks, Clint
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Corn. I am sure you will see corn!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:03 AM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I beg to differ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25
I am sorry, but once you cross I-25 in Colorado, there are no other attractions in the middle states other than the Mississippi River.
There is plenty to see if you are looking and have the right attitude about travel. First, get off that blasted interstate! America is along the two lanes. Look for state parks. Get vacation guides for all the states, look for the goofy festivals and attractions (worlds deepest hand dug well and such). Stop at small cafes. Look at the sun flowers. Eat BBQ. You might try and catch part of route 66. The bottom line to me is this: the reason so many folks think middle america is so boring is they are in to much a hurry to be somewhere else. The impatience blinds them to interesting things all about.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Steamboat Arabia

In Kansas City (near the river) there is very interesting exhibit of the Steamboat Arabia that sank in the Missouri river in the 1800's that was loaded with everything one would need in those days...the boat's contents were destined for a hardware store I think in Nebraska. Anyway it sank in the river and buried in mud for over 100 years--then excavated by two families out of a farmer's field near the river as the river changed course. All of the cargo on the boat was preserved in the mud......It is very interesting snapshot of life in that part of the country in that day and time.......Arabia Steamboat Museum

Harry Truman's Library and home are in Independence, Missouri.

There is also Fort Osage that was a frontier fort that is in Sibley, Mo (Eastern Jackson County) Fort Osage Historic Site on the Lewis and Clark Trail
near the river as well......remember that Lewis and Clark went up the Missouri River on their way to the Pacific and you should be able to find on the internet their exact route through Missouri.....also Mark Twain came from Hannibal, Mo...The Arch in St. Louis is another thing to see.

That should give you some ideas..have a great trip and say hello to my family as you go through Missouri as that is where I was born (Independence).pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:14 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Colfax , California
Thanks!! Those are exactly the kind of specific recomendations we knew the forum would produce. Someone else just told me about an Industrial museum that we'll check out.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Eisenhower Library

In my memory serves me well, I think the Eisenhower Library in in Kansas--------http://www.eisenhower.utexas.edu/

Yes, Abilene it is.......let us know what places you visit...thanks, pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:28 PM   #10
Alumination

2005 28' Safari
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via MSN to njoysrvin
There is a book you can get in any bookstore or on line at RVBookstore.com titled "Road Trip USA" . It shows you town by town info on America's 2 lane highways...i.e. Route 66 ... there is 5 routes east to west and 5 routes north to south ....some go through both areas you are going to see. We use it and get to see things we would never know about without the book.
njoysrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:33 PM   #11
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Thanks!! Those are exactly the kind of specific recomendations we knew the forum would produce.
A more specific idea of your route would make giving suggestions a lot easier. There are a bunch of routes between Utah and the windy city.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:37 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Colfax , California
Understood. My intention is to connect the dots vs. stop along a given path. For the first time we don't need to hurry.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:18 PM   #13
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Attractions Galore

It makes No difference to me where I am as long as the Lovely Linda Lu is riding shot gun with me. We always manage to find life and joy wherever we travel. DG

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
"I am sorry, but once you cross I-25 in Colorado, there are no other attractions in the middle states other than the Mississippi River.

It is best to load up your multi-disk CD player with a good book, get on an Interstate, set the cruise control and bomb on by to Chicago." . . .

Above quote, . . .said with a grin, of course! (We hope) And while in KC, don't miss the Nelson Art Gallery-many exhibits are absolutely awe inspiring. It's a cool and restful respite if it's been a hot traveling day. So MUCH to enjoy in the midwest! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote