Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2016, 04:50 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Attending events....

My 15 year old son and I are currently attending the World Track & Field Championships in Portland, Oregon and are using our Airstream as our base of operations (staying in a State Park). Every other time my family and I have used our Airstream we have gone "camping", not driven into a "big city" to attend a four day event like this. But we've been having a blast! The Airstream has been a refuge for me from the city's hustle and bustle. Nice, quiet sleeping.

Got me thinking.......what fun ways have you all used your Airstream when not going "camping"?
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:27 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
My grandson is on an SEC football team. The trailer will be there for all the home games. Plus maybe a few road games. It does provide a quiet respite from the activity.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Kids attending camp

Two years in a row our kids attended a week-long summer day camp at Cornell University. We camped at a nearby State Park and drove them to the campus each morning, then picked them up each night around 10. During the day we had the chance to explore Ithaca and the surrounding area. These were the longest times we had ever camped in one place, and really enjoyed getting to know an area rather than moving to a new location every day or two.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
State fairs, bluegrass festivals, attending John C. Campbell Folk School, etc. Ends up usually costing as much or more than a hotel but a lot more comfortable.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Welcome to Oregon. Enjoy your stay. Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:14 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
TX , Texas
Meeks, I would love to connect with you about that experience. My daughter is running for the University of Texas (Cross Country and Indoor/Outdoor Track).
We hope to drag the airstream to the bigger meets like conference championships etc. but haven't really thought through how doable that is.
We actually 'tailgated' for a cross country meet at Texas A&M this past season but not sure if that is doable at other universities/venues.
Did you stay at a nearby campground, RV park etc?
Old 03-23-2016, 06:58 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
Welcome to Oregon. Enjoy your stay. Dave
Thanks! Been living in Eugene for 29 years and love it!
Old 03-23-2016, 07:11 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnersg View Post
Meeks, I would love to connect with you about that experience. My daughter is running for the University of Texas (Cross Country and Indoor/Outdoor Track).
We hope to drag the airstream to the bigger meets like conference championships etc. but haven't really thought through how doable that is.
We actually 'tailgated' for a cross country meet at Texas A&M this past season but not sure if that is doable at other universities/venues.
Did you stay at a nearby campground, RV park etc?
Hi Runnersg,

We stayed at a state campground that was a 40 minute drive from Portland. It worked well for us.

Your idea of bringing your Airstream along can be a good one if you like the RVing experience coupled with the activity you are doing during the day. And of course, if you have the time for the drive so it is still enjoyable!

We essentially used our Airstream like a nice motel (meaning we were in it for breakfast and then for sleeping but gone during the day) though we used the showers at the campground so we wouldn't fill the gray water tank too quickly. If you are in a parking lot you are "dry camping" and need to have enough battery storage to power the devices you wish to operate, conserve water usage, etc. Plenty here on the forums about dry camping if you haven't done much.

If you're willing to drive from the event to a campground or RV Park you should have plenty of choices.

By the way, if you think your daughter might qualify for the upcoming NCAA Track & Field Championships here in Eugene you could make a reservation at Armitage Park Campground and cancel it if you end up not going to the event.

http://www.eugenecascadescoast.org/l...mpground/4716/

Did I answer your questions?

Chris
Old 03-23-2016, 07:14 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Thanks for everyone's thoughts and experiences!
Old 03-23-2016, 07:31 PM   #10
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I use minev160 nights a season as I vend at Irish Festivals. 22k miles A Summer. In 24 years of doing this I have never stAyed in a motel, but rather my cottage on wheels. After a very very long hot day working, it is so nice to go home. I stay either on site or nearby. I can last 6 days in a parking lot.mi make my own breakfast lunch and dinner. Best way for me to work and travel.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:56 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
TX , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
I use minev160 nights a season as I vend at Irish Festivals. 22k miles A Summer. In 24 years of doing this I have never stAyed in a motel, but rather my cottage on wheels. After a very very long hot day working, it is so nice to go home. I stay either on site or nearby. I can last 6 days in a parking lot.mi make my own breakfast lunch and dinner. Best way for me to work and travel.
Hey Meeks.... what i THOUGHT I wrote but didn't was that she is attending UT in the fall. She is a senior in high school now. So we are planning ahead to attend cross country meets in the fall and as soon as we get a peak at the indoor/outdoor track schedule for the winter/fall we will plan on that as well. I doubt she will make it past a conference meet her freshman year but you never know!!
Old 03-26-2016, 11:30 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
Sounds perfect! 24 years. Wow!