Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2016, 01:08 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
Atlanta to Los Angeles December weather

I have a 2016 Airstream Interstate and am thinking about a December trip. I am concerned about winter weather in Texas and New Mexico. I am hearing that if i stay south, I may be able to avoid freezing weather. Can anyone with more experience offer any suggestions? What if the forecast calls for freezing weather? One idea is to plug in at a campground, turn on the tank heaters, and maybe even wrap the undercarriage with reflectix and put a space heater under the van. This is my first RV, and I did make trips to Nova Scotia and to the Texas State Fair already this year without any major problems. thanks
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 03:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
There's an old saying..
"If you don't like the weather in Texas, wait 20 minutes and it will change."

Our winter ice storms do take longer than 20 minutes to go away, and there's no way to predict when one is going to happen more than a day or so ahead of the event. We didn't have any of them last year, and some years we have four or five here in North Texas. A route farther south, like I-10 would help.

My advice would be to plan your trip with a few days extra in the schedule, so you could hole up in an RV park and wait out a few days of icy roads. Road conditions are by far the worst hazard. We don't get snow on the roads, it goes straight to black ice. Combine that with drivers inexperienced with severe winter conditions, and it becomes quite a show. Stay put and watch it on TV when that happens.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:08 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
Folly Beach , South Carolina
I picked up my AS in SoCal in early February, traveled I-10 after a few high desert stops and stayed in Yuma, Tucson and Las Cruces before heading S on 90 out of Van Horn en route to S Padre. Then came back up to I-10 after a few more East Texas gulf coast stops. There may have been a little gambling in Biloxi before I headed home to SC. For the most part had great weather. A few cold nights here and there but no snow or ice or even rain for that matter. Granted that was February and early March, not December. Super fun trip though. Stay off the interstate when you can, it gets old. Lots of great scenery in Texas and NM. I wasn't prepared to boondock, but there were plenty of opportunities if you are. I can't wait to go back!
Daddyo_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 06:05 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Keep an eye on the weather forecast. Don't start in the morning until the sun and traffic have burned off the black ice. Travel from FHU to FHU CG and keep the rig toasty. Good idea to have a set of chains with you. Having some flexibility in the travel schedule is an absolute must as sitting out some bad weather is much better than sitting out a repair job. Good Luck. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:12 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Suwanee , GA
December should be fine. When I lived I'm Dallas it was February that killed us.
Seagars is offline   Reply With Quote