Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2020, 08:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Cape May County , New Jersey
AS with Open Hatch

Looking at getting the 27' FC FBT with the Open Hatch.....Besides the cool factor, is it worth the extra money? Do you use it much?

Love to hear about the pros and cons....
huck55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
I have no direct knowledge or experience with this.
Seems like another leak point and a major one at that. Why not just sit outside?

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 11:03 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
San diego , California
I thought about it. Seems it might be cool for putting some bikes or maybe kayaks or a canoe even a motorcycle. But then that stuff might mess up the trailer and that stuff would be there while in transit and all stops. Might be cool for beach camping where everyone is sardine canned. Sit inside, look at the ocean, not sitting spitting distance from neighbor.
JunkYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI there is a sub-forum dedicated to the Eddie Bauer model:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f531/

. . . where you might find helpful info and feedback, by quoting folks there IMO.

Pendleton: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f538/
"Special Editions" master forum: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f530/

Happy trails,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
AS with Open Hatch

Everyone’s needs and wants are different, but my wife and I consider the hatch in our 2015 Eddie Bauer 27’ Twin a major enhancement to our travels.

We can easily load and secure our two kayaks and at times travel with a Cricket brand golf cart (340 pounds) tied down above the real axels.

But more important than loading/carrying, we like the experience of essentially being able to remove the rear wall of the trailer (pulling down a screen, or not) and enjoying the scenery from the dinette, weather permitting. It’s a cliche, but it gives an impression of bringing the outdoors in.

Ours has not leaked in 5 years of use, but it is another door, so it has the potential for that. The center window is a little smaller than non-hatch models, and requires its own Ocean Air shade, vs the wraparound curtain. And it does compromise your ability to lean back against the rear of the trailer when sitting in the dinette, given the frame of the hatch. All that said, we will have a hatch on our next trailer, if we ever sell this one.
Joe
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	370295Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0892.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	370296Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00564.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	555.3 KB
ID:	370297Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7440.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	569.1 KB
ID:	370298
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:12 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1960 28' Ambassador
Libertyville , Illinois
I always really liked the idea of the hatch! Great news for 2021 it is available on both 25’ and 27’ Flying Clouds and Internationals.
Short563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
It’s a unique selling feature for the Airstream, open to nature and the great outdoors and a great option for the FB models.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
It’s cool alright!

Just pulled in to Crooked River State Park, GA. It’s cool here compared to home in FL. Figured we’d AC but instead we threw open the hatch, dropped the screen and opened the front window. Instant breeze, instant cool (that’s what you meant by “cool factor”, right?)

We don’t wonder if the hatch is a good idea... we wonder why AS builds any trailers without the hatch. Ok, ok... to each his own... we respect and never look down on what we call “the hatchless”.

I use the hatch to load and unload the trailer of big stuff. I run in any one of four configurations. On this trip with just grandma and me (no... I don’t travel with my grandmother... the family calls me Grand Dad) it’s the two recliners and short bench (see gallery). That means everything AS bolted into the trailer aft of the galley and fridge comes out, the short bench, chair platform and two recliners come in. I don’t know how I’d do that w/o scratching or denting something silver if I had to go through the main door. We’ve transported stuff that prob wouldn’t fit through the main door. We have a son in a wheelchair and I built ramps for him to get in and out through the hatch (his chair is too wide for the main). We’ve had xMas dinner and a Easter in the trailer backed to the ocean near home with him along for the day.

Lastly, the hatch increases our commitment to find sites that back to water or views. “The hatchless” don’t seem to value these as much as we do (I don’t think that’s stereotyping... but please don’t flame me if you think it is). I sincerely believe that we enjoy the parks we stay at more for having the hatch. Of course, some people open their awning, put out chairs, make a fire, hike, swim... We generally avoid all that “camping” stuff. After all, we can be close to nature in our Airstream... BECAUSE WE HAVE A HATCH!

Here’s a pic taken just before I sat down to write this... looking North... Crooked River in the background... living like Americans protected by the US Navy Submarine Base — Kings Bay 5 miles down river.

We’ll raise one for you tonight... a hatch that is!

Click image for larger version

Name:	D24AD8F3-B715-4F8F-A745-A0B3A08F6606.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	370355
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:49 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
St. Albans , Vermont
Totally worth it

We have spent about one third of the year in our Eddie Bauer and use the hatch constantly (No leaks). Upon arrival at a campground we open the hatch and the travel heat is gone. We sometimes transport bikes or kayaks. And the best thing about the hatch is the ability to enjoy the great outdoors without those pesky mosquitoes! We call it our screened porch. I don’t know how much this option costs but it’s worth it! Oh, and the additional benefit is having a second door to use when the handle of the side door locks itself. Been there, done that.
Jaywaltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:23 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Eddie Bauer

We have a 2012 Eddie Bauer, lucked into one, bought it used, was two years old. Like new condition. Did not realize what we had and how rare it was at the time to get one. Have put about 60,000 miles on it. Never had a leak. We Love It, would not have an AS without one....Do It! Everyone stay Safe!
Crabpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Some day (SOON PLEASE!) Airstream will make a model with a rear hatch and a door in the FRONT. I have always had a premonition that someday I would be caught in a burning building... and having a two door Airstream seems like such a good idea...
But having a rear door with the hatch right next to it? As Spock would say "most illogical".
And I said never to another new Airstream... then they went to composite floors?
Old 06-15-2020, 02:28 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Bainbridge Island , Washington
We have a 2018 Tommy Bahama with the hatch. It is wonderful! We have it open any time weather allows, usually with mosquito screen down. It’s like having a screened porch everywhere we go.

Hasn’t leaked yet.

We Don’t use it for cargo loading as the TB doesn’t really accommodate that like maybe the EB would.
pwlldvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I love the concept of the rear hatch.
You'll be backed up to a river with moose and elk grazing by your door.
Then I realized I've never had moose and elk, let alone a river behind my site. If I'm lucky, a copse of trees.
Also, those moose and elk better come when the temperature is in the 70's because if there's snow or blazing heat, that hatch will be closed.
Still, a great way to carry bikes, as long as the table stores easily.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:25 AM   #14

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Bolling Afb , District of Columbia
We have the 27FBQ and love the hatch. Only issue is it leaning back against the screen support is a issue. This is my first AS, we put our bikes, kayak inside pretty easy with the hatch but I do hate removing the the table and we have to vac after we take them out. So far summer morning and spring all day it stays open and we would hate being without it. Last week having coffee at the table with the hatch open we had a squirrel climb up the hatch screen and he jumped off when I offered him a cup of coffee. (wife was to slow on the phone)
COB698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:27 AM   #15
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
Ok, now I want a hatch. jayseejay, you could make money with those pictures; great advertising.
Happy trails,
CC
Camper Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:29 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Crazy View Post
Ok, now I want a hatch. jayseejay, you could make money with those pictures; great advertising.
Happy trails,
CC

Thanks CC! Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:02 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' International
Livingston , Texas
Hatch!!!!

We have a 2020 International with hatch and have never looked back.

Recently, we were backed up to the Red River in New Mexico and it was amazing to have the hatch open with the nice weather and beautiful view. It also lets in more of a breeze when it’s open.

Like others have said, we use it to load/unload larger items. In the Eddie Bauer, it was considered a “toy hauler” for kayaks, paddle boards, etc.

We 100% recommend it to everyone and are definitely the envy of other Airstreamers when we meet them.
WilcoxWander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:21 AM   #18

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Martinez , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by huck55 View Post
Looking at getting the 27' FC FBT with the Open Hatch.....Besides the cool factor, is it worth the extra money? Do you use it much?

Love to hear about the pros and cons....
We love it, have the 2012 25’ Eddie Bauer. We load five bikes; one Tandem, two road singles and two mountain. All those bikes and we have full use of the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom while traveling. We even loaded a couple of fat tire bikes in there, still no issues. We travelled across county and back on a six month trip the first year of retirement, great way to travel with bikes.

When looking for an RV, we didn’t like the SOB big box trailers - too big to pull through the air. Plus, trying to wrestle a tandem through the side door of a conventional trailer would eventually break my back. Came across the EB at a show and the rest is history in the making.

In our eighth year and never had the hatch leak.

Only con, you lose storage under the seats , but we compensate by using plastic containers under the seats while parked. The containers ride in the shower while traveling.
Tommy the D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 12:21 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
We recently got a 27FBQ Hatch after I have been drooling over having one for three years, that and I wanted ducted dual air. So far for carrying bikes it’s been great. Next time out we will figure out how to do 2 ebikes and a kayak for a short local trip. Last week it was cool enough in the morning to open the hatch for breakfast and enjoy the lake behind us. Before we purchased the 27 I asked the salesman if the hatch came in a 25 and he said that wouldn’t happen because it would throw the balance of the trailer off. Guess he was wrong.
prostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:50 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Lucas , Texas
Rear hatch - wouldn’t do without!

We have a 2018 Tommy 27.....one of the selling points was the rear hatch!....in fact, wife insisted on having a model with it......it really adds to the utility, comfort, and just plain cool factor of an airstream.....we use it all the time and it seems to expand our outdoor use....sitting outside under the hatch with a couple chairs and a rug is great.....in my opinion, get it, you won’t be sorry.....and the additional cost thought will fade away after first use!
Balbers is offline   Reply With Quote