Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2022, 09:36 PM   #21
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I had the pleasure of coming up on a flat bed trailer loaded with drill pipe. The rig was parked in the right hand driving lane. It was early morning with slight rain and a wet road. I saw the rig just in time to swerve my 3/4 ton truck left and avoid a disastrous collision. What happened next was nothing short of a miracle. My truck did a slow 180 degree turn clockwise around the tractor trailer rig to the left. I departed the highway going backward into a corn field. With my 4WD I was able to extract the truck back to the shoulder. While stopped and collecting my senses another pick pulled up to check on me and my truck. He also said, he was prepared to be a witness to the offending truck being parked in the roadway. There was no damage to my truck. To this day, I am glad I was not pulling my Airstream. It would have looked like the one in the pictures above.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 07:08 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Its impressive that a lot of the structure is still intact (Vista views etc) and the bed is still made! Must have been a hell of a BANG!
SuperTrouper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 12:36 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Key West , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
This is another reason to avoid interstate highways if your schedule allows you to do so.
I agree 100%...
DonRich7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 12:45 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Key West , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
My wife saw that post this morning as well. We travel that part of I-77 in SC on the way to visit my Mom. It is not a high traffic area and not an area known for high wind so I’m curious how this happened and glad no one got hurt.

It appears by the photo that potentially, the WD system prevented the rear of the AS from swinging clear of the obstruction during an evasive maneuver. Another example where free balling saves lives.
DonRich7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 12:47 PM   #25
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Surface roads have their issues too - it's not just the Interstate highways with problems. It was on a 2-lane state highway that we had our head-on collision in a coach years ago. With no center barrier, there was no protection against the sleeping driver coming the other way.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 01:02 PM   #26
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Surface roads have their issues too - it's not just the Interstate highways with problems. It was on a 2-lane state highway that we had our head-on collision in a coach years ago. With no center barrier, there was no protection against the sleeping driver coming the other way.
2 lane roads can definitely be more dangerous, another danger is when an oncoming vehicle drops off the edge of the pavement and when trying to get back on they overcorrect and end up in your lane. With all the distracted drivers and the lack of skill that many of todays drivers have I see this as an increasing risk. We were in Mexico recently with a group and as the roads are very narrow and the edge can drop off as much as 4-6" sometimes I asked a group of teenagers in our group what they would do if they dropped off the edge at speed, none of them knew the correct answer to slow down and wait for an opening in oncoming traffic before trying to get back up onto the pavement.
Old 05-03-2022, 02:06 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
An Airstream is WIDER than the Tow Vehicle. Always keep that in mind.
And that wasn't even a wide body Airstream!
Old 05-03-2022, 03:04 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Flat on Highway 35 just North of Georgetown TX this morning..

Headed out this morning at 7am toward VA Hospital in Temple for an appt./ just got gas ($5/gal) at Shell station and a coffee; rain started to come down pretty good as I ramped on to 35 North bound from Georgetown, getting up to traffic speed of 70+. Just as I left the on ramp, the F250 Tire Pressure Warning came on my dash...I watched in horror and disbelief as my right rear pressure, went from 76psi to 10psi in about 2 minutes! I could not make it to the exit, so I pulled over to the right side as far as I could, thinking about the picture of the AS wreck I started this thread with. I called AAA and they assigned a local agency in Georgetown to help. The young guy was there in 30 min, pulled up behind me at an angle, to block. I called the Police also to see if they would come and provide extra lights behind the AAA guy, but they said as long as he was there, I should be fine! Anyway, the AAA kid told me to stay inside buckled up and he had my spare on and I was on my way in less than 30 min. I took it right to Discount tire; they patched the puncture in the tread area, and I was back home at 9:30am.

Sharing this because all I could think about that visual of the wrecked AS, was how unsafe it is on the side of the highway, but I never expected that happening to me. Wife said, "Gee, lucky we weren't towing the AS!" Ya think?? (Note the traffic at 7am and the tire pressure's shown in my dash.) and...yes, I did adjust all the PSI back to 75PSI cold, after this happened.

The TPMS on the F250 saved me a lot of money if I hadn't been notified of the right rear going flat...could have been real bad at 70+ with traffic if I had gone into the fast lane, where I likely would have headed without the warning! The first thing the AAA kid asked when we connected on the phone, was "are you in the fast lane by the barriers?" When I said no, he was very relieved...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flat on side dash readings.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	415507  
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote