Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2015, 08:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Arizona 89A Sedona to Jerome

I'm thinking of taking this route. I have been told it is not suitable for trailers. I have been to Cottonwood without any problems. I was told there is a 50' length limit in Jerome. I think I am under with my F250 gasser with a 5.4 Triton and my 71 25' Tradewind. I would appreciate any advice or information. This leg is on my way to Joshua Tree.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
You could probably make it, but I wouldn't. Things are pretty tight going through the town of Jerome. Just go back out to I-17, then south and the first Prescott exit. Careful on the road into Prescott; the speed limit is 45, and they don't mean 46.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
It's extremely tight in Jerome with very narrow roads and walls right up to the road edge. Barely room for a car in a lot of places. If you can, do a drive through with Google Street View to check it out.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Some sections of Hwy 89 have a vehicle length restriction of 40 feet; but I'm not sure about this stretch.

Jerome is an old mining town with very narrow, winding streets; and there are outcroppings from stone walls and buildings that overhang the road.

Our Tundra and 19' Bambi are about equal in length; so wherever the Tundra goes, our Bambi will fit. However, we sometimes drive on or slightly over the line in Jerome. A longer trailer would swivel out farther in the back, so I'm not sure I would attempt this drive with a larger Airstream.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

We just did it 2 months ago with our F250 truck and 27 footer. It is narrow in Jerome and there is one pretty tight turn ( the car on the other side stopped to give us space to make it) but really we had no problems and would definately do it again. It is a spectacular road! We did it on a Saturday or Sunday do there were plenty of people in Jerome.

You might have problems with a motorhome because they don't bend in the middle like a trader and TV.

We've had trailers for almost 20 years so my husbands driving skills are very good. I'd say go for it if you feel confident in your driving abilities.

P.S. There were no signs re length restrictions that we saw as we went along.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
We pulled our 30' box trailer, with a full size Chevy van, through there once years ago.. It was beautiful...and quite a challenge. Probably would not do it again.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

One other thing. Parking was very tight in Jerome so if you want to explore the town I'd recommend camping below ( such as Cottonwood) and driving up.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:04 PM   #8
Ganado

Peoria , Arizona
You will be OK on Hey 89a as long as you don't tow past Clarksdale. Not safe to drive thru Jerome. Hairpin turn and narrow. Jerome is literally built on a hillside with narrow streets and very limited parking.
Suggested site seeing: there are some nice winery's in that area have to Google hours and locations. Also Verde Canyon Railroad is a nice half day trip for late March the April. The Bald Eagles nest in this Canyon and you can see them this time of year. Take binoculars... Good Luck on your trip!
www.verdecanyonrr.com
Ganado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:12 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas Center/Des Moines , Iowa
Drop the trailer

drop the trailer before going up the hill to Jerome. Pick it up on your way back. Too narrow, switchbacks, parking as issue, incline.
iowaroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I did the Jerome thing from west to east on my way back from Joshua Tree. BIG FUN
Old 03-28-2015, 07:49 PM   #11
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We now live just outside Prescott and take that road to get to Cottonwood. I would not try it pulling my Trade Wind. The roads in town are narrow and there is always too much traffic. Leave the trailer at Dead Horse and enjoy the sights and sounds of Jerome. The food at the Haunted Hamburger is great!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:29 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Globetrotter
Manheim , Pennsylvania
I would not try Jerome. But has anyone here take their AS up nearby Oak creek canyon?
Jukeboxfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:05 PM   #13
Ganado

Peoria , Arizona
Oak Creek Canyon is beautiful and steep and windy... Wonder not recommend towing up or down oak Creek canyon
Ganado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:56 PM   #14
Rivet Master

I did it once with a Ford Bronco and a 23 foot Hi Low. Vehicle and trailer brakes were smoking when I got to the bottom. It is very steep with numerous hairpins.
With a heavier Airstream I wouldn't attempt it. It is conspicuously marked against towing anything longer than 35 feet combined vehicle and trailer.
Not as tough as the stretch between Alpine, Az and Safford, Az. which I foolishly attempted with my present rig--a 25 Safari and diesel Excursion. There the road is much narrower, so narrow that there are no guardrails, and I was putting a trailer wheel off the pavement to stay in my lane.
The Oak Creek Canyon road between Sedona and Flagstaff is curvy but the grades are modest and the road is wide enough for a non white knuckle journey towing your Airstream.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:05 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by handn View Post
I did it once with a Ford Bronco and a 23 foot Hi Low. Vehicle and trailer brakes were smoking when I got to the bottom. It is very steep with numerous hairpins.
With a heavier Airstream I wouldn't attempt it. It is conspicuously marked against towing anything longer than 35 feet combined vehicle and trailer.
Did not see any signs. Stopped at a rest area above Cottonwood. The trailer brakes were hot but not smoking.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:03 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
There are signs there, 40' limit on length. I was ticketed there resently in the outskirts of Jerome for speeding at 35mph in my old porsche. They have. 20 mph limit from the very beginning of town limits.
While writing the ticket the cop mentioned that oversized vehicles was the other common tickets he writes. They have it so well set up to collect your $$s. That you can call in with a credit card and pay over the phone.

I guess since the mine ran out the town needs some income. Beware !

89A is a great sports car road, but there is an easier and safer and quicker route around the Mingus mountains to the south if you are heading from the Verde Valley over to Chino Valley/ Prescott area.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:26 AM   #17
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I've seen a 60' flatbed semi roll thru Jerome from Prescott. It was sporting two DPS (Highway patrol) front and back.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:57 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
There are signs there, 40' limit on length. Richard
The sign I saw had a picture of a single truck, not a truck trailer combo. So is the 40 foot limit on the trailer, or the truck trailer combo?
Old 03-31-2015, 12:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Good question. You could call the courthouse to find out, if you are intent on driving that way.
I do get it about wanting to check out this route, the views from Jerome looking out over the Verde Valley are great. I'd suggest driving that way in your truck first. Unless you just can't resist a challenge. BTW. The ticket was over $200, my first moving violation ticket in decades. As I mentioned , they have got to do something once the mine played out.
An even more interesting route in the area is going south west out of Prescott on 89. Heading towards Wickenburg, even better views and the transition from the mountains onto the desert floor is fastenating . A bit easier road for larger vehicles too.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I did a virtual drive through Jerome using Google Street View and the only signs I saw regarding length restrictions were these in the pic. They are posted West of Cottonwood and East of Prescott on the stretch up to Jerome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	235301