Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2003, 07:48 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Are you allowed to stay the night at WalMart?

Question,

If your passing through a town and need to catch a little sleep, are you allowed to pull into a Wal Mart and spend 6 to 8 hours there?
joshua32064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 07:53 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Generally, yes

Most WalMarts welcome you. There are exceptions, however, when local ordenance prohobits it or WalMart is in a mall and does not control the parking area.

If you will do a search on this forum, there are several threads, including a "current at the time" list of WalMarts where you can not overnight. There are also publications that have similar lists. best to check at the manager's desk. I also make a purchase at that store.

I nearly always see overnighters at the WalMarts in this area.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 08:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Joshua 32064 and Pahaska,

Here's a situation of concern. The city of Whitehorse, Yukon now has a Wal Mart. However, there is a council member, Yvonne Harris, who is pushing to "BAN" rv parking for overnighters.
This came to my attention on RV Business webiste last week.
I urge all Forums members to e-mail Mrs. Harris, yvonne.harris@city.whitehorse.yk.ca and tell her you object as an RVer.
Their campgrounds are limited, and not having a safety net, such as Wal Mart to seek haven when campgrounds are full is unfair.
Three years ago, we were in a predictament, with a campground reservation whose site was unable to accomodate our coach, with no other alternatives. Wal Mart's arrival in Whitehorse is very new.
There is also a Wal Mart in Yellowknife, NWT. A lovely full service town of 30,000 people on the shores of the Great Slave Lake. RV parking is allowed.
I have explained to Mrs. Harris, next year we are heading north again. If she succeeds with her plans to ban overnight RV parking the Whitehorse, Yukon Wal Mart, we will drive a long day from Skagway, Alaska's ferry dock to Dawson City, Yukon (400+ miles) and bypass Whitehorse.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 06:49 AM   #4
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by Coloradobus

The city of Whitehorse, Yukon now has a Wal Mart. However, there is a council member, Yvonne Harris, who is pushing to "BAN" rv parking for overnighters.
This came to my attention on RV Business webiste last week.
I urge all Forums members to e-mail Mrs. Harris, yvonne.harris@city.whitehorse.yk.ca and tell her you object as an RVer.
Coloradobus, the email to Ms. Harris is sent; text as follows:

"Greetings, Ms. Harris.

I am a member of an Airstream RV forum on the internet. One of our members recently wrote that you have concerns regarding RVs parking overnight in commercial parking lots such as Wal-Mart. I am an RV owner, and while I have only infrequently stayed in such a place, I have done it when necessity dictates. There are occasions where there are no nearby campgrounds to use; or here in the Midwest, campgrounds are closed for the season when I've been travelling as was the case two weeks ago when I overnighted at the Wal-Mart in Lexington, NE AFTER seeking and receiving permission from management.

I can also tell you that I am the Chief of Police in Tipton, IA. We regularly have RVs in our Wal-Mart parking lot. I have not once had any complaints regarding those folks' demeanor nor have I had complaints regarding their conduct during their overnight stays. Wal-Mart and our community welcome them as they almost always purchase supplies and gasoline during their brief stay in our community.

Our city has not experienced any problems with transients in campers trying to 'live' in Wal-Mart parking lots.

I'm not sure what your concerns might be, but please feel free to contact me regarding any concerns you may have on this issue.

Best regards,

Roger"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 07:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Thumbs up right on

most excellent roger...exactly my sediments......
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 08:04 AM   #6
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Lightbulb

I bet she's related to Florida's Ms Harris

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 05:58 AM   #7
nds
3 Rivet Member

Hey! Is that a Kentucky hat in that picture? Go Cats!
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 04:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Thanks Roger for your support. I hope others who feel strongly about this loss of choice, will also contact Ms Yvonne Harris.yvonne.harris.@city.Whitehorse.yk.ca
Old 11-30-2003, 04:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Correction: yvonne.harris@city.whitehorse.yk.ca
Old 11-30-2003, 06:55 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

The only thing that makes sense to a casual observer is that she might very well have her hand in the till at the local campground.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 07:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Here in Durango Co it was the local campgrounds that opposed overnight parking at WalMart.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 08:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Here's the actual text from RV Businesshttp://www.rvbusiness.com/output.cfm...319&Newswire=1
Old 12-01-2003, 10:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

see above
Old 12-01-2003, 02:53 PM   #14
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Ms. Harris responds...

Yvonne Harris of Whitehorse YK responded to my email listed earlier in this thread.

Following is the text of her response:

"My concern is for the local businesses who have put their life savings into developing their campgrounds and are now threatened with bankrupcy (at least in one case) because of the overwhelming use of the Wal-mart site. We are not talking about a dozen RVs. There are up to 88 some nights.

I think there is a need for campsites with minimal services as not everyone needs a $25 site and full services - that is something I am working on; I dont think we should go against our own by-laws and as a result put hard working busines people at financial risk."

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 03:07 PM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Well at least she is making an attempt! I can understand her side of it to a point. But there has to be more than just Walmart if a campground is on the verge of bankruptcy. There have been several that for a variety of reasons I will no longer grace with my presence, their going bankrupt would not hurt my feelings at all. If I wanted to spend $40+ a night, especially for a short night I would stay in a cheap motel! I think too many of the campground owners and management are looking at RV's as a cash cow, get as much money as you can while you can. On the flip side of that, there are plenty of honest campground owners that give you great value for your money. But when the cost of an overnight stay at a campground is equal to or exceeds that of a low to moderate priced motel room you have a problem. JMO FWIW we have looked into the possiblity of developing a campground in our area, the intial costs can be prohibitive and even more so if you want to align yourself with someone like KOA. But from what I have seen most campgrounds have been long established and have been taking in the money for a long time. Now the time has come to pay the piper and upgrade and they don't have the money to do it, so they want to raise rates to cover for their lack of a poor business plan or planning period!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 03:11 PM   #16
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
So if I read this right:

The campgrounds that are on the verge of bankruptcy don't want to offer an overnight rate and want the local commission to ban what is their competition. Sounds like someone needs to look at their business plan?

I wonder if Wal Mart would be willing to share what the RV'ers purchases add up to in increased sales tax and supporting Wal Mart?

I doubt that once the law is enacted that the campgrounds will offer any kind of overnight rate. I know if I was an owner and had the law on my side I would be sure to watch the Wal Mart and drive the customers to a campground, mine if possible. This would only benefit the campground owners. If the RV'ers are only overnighting I do not see how this is a major issue, but as a business owner I can understand wanting to protect their livelihood.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 03:24 PM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I posted these thoughts on another thread but most ma and paw campgrounds are not cash cows. Unless you are in a year round climate or resort area, many of these folks are not making big bucks. I looked into buying one some time ago and when you have to service the mortgage, pay the liability insurance, and supply the hook ups that folks are demanding there is precious few $$ left. The common thread I heard amongst many owners was that you live like a pauper and retire like a king (based on the land value when you sell).

If you are giving an overnight rate then you need to restrict the services you give to folks. I've seen a lot of folks registering and stating that they don't want to pay the price for using the air conditioner and then turn around and use it. How many Rver's do you see running the A/C with the doors and windows open? How's that figure into the owner's cost of doing business?

I have watched the Wal-Mart's and Sam's Clubs in the St. Louis area and have never seen more than one unit per night. I would have some problems myself if I started seeing 88 units sitting at our local Wal-Mart. I bet the local municipal authorities would also.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 03:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Many people prefer a free overnight in a Wall-Mart lot over a commercial CG. Wall Mart has no electric, water, or dump, and has terrible scenery - but it's free, convenient, and never full. This should send a message to CG owners... IMHO most commercial CG's are awful - junky, sites too close together, dirty washrooms. I avoid them, and prefer to stay in State Parks, Forest Service CG's, etc... For an enroute/overnight I have stayed in a Wall Mart lot a few times. It seems there is an unfulfilled need - for a low cost overnight, minimum facilities CG that is not a pit!
Old 12-01-2003, 03:54 PM   #19
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Jack,
I am in agreement with your assesment of the smaller campgrounds. We stayed in a KOA in Amarillo, TX...the one out by the airport, near the railroad They asked us when we checked in whether we wanted a transient site or a longer term site. The longer term sites were the choice sites and cost a little more. The transient sites were basically just lined up in a big field. They had the basic hookups, some had cable and some did not. The longer stay sites had patio pads, shade trees, local telephone service, full cable and the like. They were also about $8 a night more if memory serves me. When we looked at the cost of developing a campground the intial up front costs were approaching $250,000 and that was with us doing the majority of the work with equipment we already own. We would have been able to put in around 120 sites of varying sizes. Figure a occupancy rate of around 35% year round and see what you have to charge to break even. Also in this day and age liablity insurance costs have become prohibitive! I would be interested to see why there are 80-90 RV's in their Walmart parking lot. I have seen a lot of Walmart parking lots and never one with that many RV's in it. I think the most I have ever seen was about 12 at one time and that was during an ice storm right along I-95. I wonder if that 80-90 number is the total over a season? But she says it is on occasion. Maybe a compromise would be to limit the number of RV's allowed to overnight at any given time? Perhaps make it seasonal? I know that the Walmart in Myrtle Beach, SC doesn't allow overnight parking due to local ordinance, but drive 15 minutes up the road to Conway, SC and it is OK.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 04:10 PM   #20

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by dmac
Wall Mart has no electric, water, or dump, and has terrible scenery - but it's free, convenient, and never full. This should send a message to CG owners... IMHO most commercial CG's are awful - junky, sites too close together, dirty washrooms.
When we overnight I want the services so we will run the A/C if needed, run the grey water into the sewer and use the water and electric. We don't use campground bath houses so that side isn't an issue with me. I normally do not travel with water. Personally based on some of the Wal-Marts around here, they would probably be one of the last places I would want to stay in.

We are picky where we stay and usually plan our stops. I can probably count on one hand the number of commercial CG overnights that I truly considered not worthy of my money.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote