Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2018, 07:09 AM   #21
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Are any AS friends in national parks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post
Electricity is on, at least here. Turning it off would require winterizing the facilities to prevent freeze damage, which would cost money they're not allowed to spend. I imagine it would take a long time before the power company would shut off the park's service for lack of payment.

Have you seen whether they’ve closed bathrooms and other buildings throughout your park? With no service personnel, I can’t imagine them keeping any buildings open or picking up trash, even if they don’t shut off the power to those buildings. Of course, NPS-operated campgrounds never have power to campsites anyway, except for the host sites.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:18 AM   #22
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I do not always us the Washington Post as a resource, however, in addition to this article, in my own years of government service, I always received my paycheck after a government shutdown. It's all Kabuki theatre.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:23 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
During the last shutdown we were in Ortona South campground controlled by US Corps of Eng. and were told to leave and they locked the gates and closed the site. We were told that was the case for all US Corps sites. I expect these places are closed this time. We had to find sites elsewhere and after the shutdown ended we had to call in to cancel what was left of our reservation. We later got a refund only for the days they were closed.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:49 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Have you seen whether they’ve closed bathrooms and other buildings throughout your park? With no service personnel, I can’t imagine them keeping any buildings open or picking up trash, even if they don’t shut off the power to those buildings. Of course, NPS-operated campgrounds never have power to campsites anyway, except for the host sites.
Yes all bathrooms and other buildings are locked, as well as the gates to day use picnic areas. The dumpsters are serviced by a private contractor, so I presume they will still be emptied, but the trash cans serviced by maintenance personnel will not.

What will be interesting to see is if the access road to the area gets plowed when it snows...
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:53 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
I do not always us the Washington Post as a resource, however, in addition to this article, in my own years of government service, I always received my paycheck after a government shutdown. It's all Kabuki theatre.
The rangers here confirmed that's what happened in past shutdowns as well. Still a hardship, especially for those living paycheck to paycheck, but at least their salary isn't entirely lost.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:13 AM   #26

Are any AS friends in national parks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post
Yes all bathrooms and other buildings are locked, as well as the gates to day use picnic areas. The dumpsters are serviced by a private contractor, so I presume they will still be emptied, but the trash cans serviced by maintenance personnel will not.

What will be interesting to see is if the access road to the area gets plowed when it snows...

So, as expected, no access to rest rooms or any other facilities inside the National Parks.

I doubt there will be any plowing, either. Here’s hoping you don’t get snowed in!

Our NPS campground at Glacier where we volunteered last summer has an easily closed and locked gate, so don’t be surprised if your favorite campground is closed and locked, even if you can drive into the park.

Old 12-23-2018, 04:38 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenjude View Post
We were at the Grand Canyon north when the last shutdown happened. They gave people 4 days to leave the campground. It really cleared out and it was beautifully quiet there. We felt bad though for the rangers and workers ( who don’t make much money to begin with and can be living on the edge financially ) and people who had flown out to be at the park specifically for a once in a lifetime family vacation ( we talked to several ).
Dont worry about the federal workers. In all previous shutdowns, they all got retro pay, so they actually got a paid vacation!!
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 06:00 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoasteng View Post
Dont worry about the federal workers. In all previous shutdowns, they all got retro pay, so they actually got a paid vacation!!
I'd hardly call withholding your pay indefinitely a vacation. Not everyone has enough savings to continue paying their rent or mortgage if their paychecks suddenly stop. Even for those with savings, the last thing people need over the holidays is to suddenly not know when they'll see another paycheck. During this time of giving, who wants to second-guess whether they're going to need that money in the coming months for food or rent?

Regardless of who you think is to blame, or whether you believe this circus is worth the cost, it should be clear that there *is* a cost, both to the RVing public, and the public servants we depend on to protect and maintain the public lands we use.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:26 PM   #29
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
“National parks across the country will remain open to visitors under a shutdown but most facilities - including bathrooms - will be shuttered, according to the Interior Department's 2018 contingency plan.

That means visitors who planned to visit a national park over the holidays will still be able to do so but will have to go without guidance from any NPS officials.”
Old 12-24-2018, 08:47 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Midlothian , Texas
thanks for the explanation

thanks for the explanation of the 2018 ruling - but - it's good weather in much of the country and no doubt AS owners will be itching to get out for a few days after Christmas - I really hate it that they will have a less than perfect trip - especially if they really had their sights set on a national park for the new year fun - hate it for them!
TexasMarci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:40 PM   #31

<ModHat>

Quick reminder. If this becomes a political thread instead of a thread about how Airstreamers can prepare for and/or deal with consequences of the shutdown, this thread will be cleaned again, and then closed. If you don't see a message you posted prior to this one, please do not re-post that content.

Thanks.

</ModHat>

Old 12-25-2018, 01:31 PM   #32
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Everything I've read is that all buildings, including bathrooms, are closed. Roads will not be plowed. Small park facilities that are only buildings (Martin Luther King home for ex.) are closed. This would include parks, monuments, BLM facilities and I believe Forest Service as well. It seems gates are often open, no fees are collected, but roads may be blocked if it snows or if someone thought it would be unsafe.

I stopped at a government pit toilet over the weekend several miles west of Montrose, Colorado, and the door was not locked. It is on a road accessing Black Canyon NP and US 50, but I think this little picnic spot and toilet may be BLM. I suspect no one at any agency really cares about isolated pit toilets like this and know people would just use the ground next to it if it were locked.

I am told the access to Colorado NM is open and volunteers there have been told they cannot volunteer during a shutdown. Four to eight inches snow is predicted this evening and the upper reaches of the Monument are high enough to get snow, not rain. Access to Glade Park, a rural area next to and above Grand Junction, goes through the Monument, but I think the county plows it. Quite a few people have been going into Rocky Mtn. NP—gates were reported open, but snow was blocking some roads. That park is one of the most popular in the country.

Access through some parks may be closed if the highway is not federal or state. Highways through Forest Service national forests should be open, but no news about forest service roads. Zion has a highway (Utah 9) through it, but there are restrictions on it and extra fees for RV's during normal times. Utah and Arizona are keeping some parks open on a limited basis, but it seems that Utah is only paying for 3 of 5. Canyonlands and Capital Reef seem to be left out, so Utah 9 may be open, but to go through it normally you have to pay $15 for a round trip and wait for park employees to close the road to two way traffic—there's a very long tunnel that is too small for some RV's. Whether anyone is being paid by Utah to regulate traffic there probably requires a phone call to Utah government to find out.

The Smithsonian was reported open, but will run out of money in early January. And if you call the White House to complain, you'll get a message no one will answer.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 02:21 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
I am sure this will get resolved in a couple of weeks. Bad for us that want to use the National facilities.

I don't get all the complaining about not getting paid. They all get there pay it may just be late and the ones that are off are getting a free vacation.

Most people have at least two weeks of reserve money so one late pay check should not be a problem. So for no one has not been paid. It has only been 3 days .

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 04:08 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
I don't get all the complaining about not getting paid. They all get there pay it may just be late and the ones that are off are getting a free vacation.
A lot of people live month to month. Even federal employees. They aren't getting rich working for the government. Mortgage and rent payments are due whether they're furloughed or not.

Having lived through several furloughs working for State of California I can say it's no pleasure cruise. We had to go to work but didn't get paid for two and a half months. You learn to prepare but it's still unnerving at best.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 04:26 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
If anyone is contemplating a visit to a national park during the shutdown, I'd encourage you to go. While you're there, take some time to pick up any trash around, and report anyone abusing the land or facilities to local law enforcement. Most folks visiting parks are well-meaning, but it never hurts to have an extra set of eyes and hands to take care of public lands while the rangers are furloughed.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:55 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Longmont , Colorado
Status on Rocky Mountain National Park... roads were open until the snow this weekend but are now closed with no plowing. The Fall River visitor center is open as it is a public private partnership and staffed by non-govt employees. http://www.timescall.com/news/ci_323...ntain-national
We’re likely heading up that way this weekend for snowshoeing if conditions are good. Will post an update if we go and the shutdown continues.
cstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:57 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Midlothian , Texas
thanks for the good information

Thanks all for the good information about park closings and guidance - it will, hopefully, come in very handy for people sitting around planning that quick trip over New Year's weekend!! So much appreciate your participation in this thread!
TexasMarci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:25 PM   #38
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Things can change quickly and managers have lots of discretion in closing parks, monuments and forests. A call to the local Chamber of Commerce or town government may be the best way to find out what is happening.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:14 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Things can change quickly and managers have lots of discretion in closing parks, monuments and forests. A call to the local Chamber of Commerce or town government may be the best way to find out what is happening.
Contacting a local chamber of commerce or town government is a great idea. Different national parks are likely to deal with the shutdown differently, so a source familiar with the local situation will be your best source.

Though I don't expect anything to change quickly. Nobody is working, so chances are, however the park is being handled today will continue for the duration. The exception might be if severe cases of abuse are found, the local police might choose to close the gates entirely. But I hope and expect that would rarely be necessary.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:51 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Bainbridge Island , Washington
We were on our way to big bend np to finish off a 3 week trip. Decided to just go on home after hearing the bathrooms would not be serviced. ewwww! And maybe no water...in the desert.
pwlldvd is offline   Reply With Quote