Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2018, 07:32 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
I can't add a lot to what has already been provided except that "leaders" or "streamers" as my electrical engineer lighting protection friend called them go up from the ground and down/out from the clouds. Lightning will travel down, or perhaps up, depending upon charge polarity and the strength of the streamer. Kind of like a wire. If in its travel down a streamer the lightning sees a better conductor (streamer, pole, tree, trailer, tower, etc) it will jump to the better (read stronger charge or less resistant) path and divert from original course. Like the jagged trails often seen in pictures. It is powerful and somewhat unpredictable.

However as old as they are Franklin rods in lightning protection systems are not the only answer. These are the pointy rods made to attract a strike to ground rather than actively preventing a strike. The fluff ball rod is an active system designed to dissipate the streamer making it less desirable path. As previously stated.

Put lightning protection on your trailer? No. Best to do it a surge protector. Here in Florida storms come most afternoons, without warning. Heat is oppressive. AC a must. Disconnecting is not an option. AND storms can happen right now. Most damage is from surges in the power grid due to strikes other than your trailer.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:12 AM   #42
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Yup. But the hardware has to be designed for aluminum, the proper treatment (grease) MUST be used, and the fittings SHALL be properly torqued.
Single-strand stuff, improperly installed was a fire lurking in your electrical system.
For big stuff, like distribution systems, I’m fine with it.
For me, I’ll spend the money for copper wherever I can.
The "Vietnam Years" were when single strand AL was used. The early production stuff lacked the proper alloys to make it durable and there were some fires. The industry quickly changed the composition to make it safer but by then the damage had already been done and aluminum became a bad word in the electrical trade. We are still fighting it today as many don't realize it is still widely (and safely) used in many applications.

Kind of like the General Motors diesels that soured the public on light diesels for a long, long time.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:21 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
………. The industry quickly changed the composition to make it safer but by then the damage had already been done and aluminum became a bad word in the electrical trade. We are still fighting it today as many don't realize it is still widely (and safely) used in many applications. …………..
In Florida it is usually the first cost cutting VE item from service entrance to switchgear. Then copper after that. We used it a lot in heavy commercial construction.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 02:31 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
lighting likes very sharp pointed items to connect to.
flat surfaces are less likely to attract lightning.

the more metal around you, the safer you are, as it tries the easier path first
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:25 PM   #45
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
The more things you do to protect yourself from lightning strikes, the more easily aliens can place silly thoughts into your brain.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #46
1973 Dodge Cayo Motovator

Vintage Kin Owner
Dahlonega , Georgia
As an Electrical Engineer, I read these threads for humor, mostly. Ever wonder how a bird can safely sit on a high voltage transmission line?
Similar to a lightning strike when one is INSIDE an Airstream or Avion. When lightning has "traveled" several miles, jumping a short gap from wheel to ground is easy. The Faraday effect is correct, and completely inside is fine, as with aircraft or cars.
Disconect the power cord well in advance of the storm. A person is the most vulnerable when doing this OR when stepping into the trailer. At these points in time, if lightning strikes the trailer, a possibly lethal portion of the charge will also pass through your body to ground. I would never step out when a storm is nearby or during a storm. Get insurance for the electronics and stay inside! Lightning will likely just completely fry any overvoltage protection device as they are not designed for lightning protection.
Outbackga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:52 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
When I was a kid I lived in a house that was struck by lightning.....

Three holes in the roof, two the size of quarters, and one about two feet square.

It put permanent “colors” in the picture tubes of all of the televisions, (my understanding is the picture tubes were magnetized)

It also took out the home intercom system.

Nothing else was affected.

When the bolt struck, every light in the house came on, I was the only one awake to see it.

I figure the two quarter sized holes were entry points, the big hole I figure was the exit, it was directly over a water faucet.

Lightning is powerful...... I respect it.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:37 AM   #48
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
“let’s think about a typical RV. An all metal shell like an Airstream is probably as safe as you can get in a lightning storm since they’re shaped like a big aluminum Twinkie, and that same airplane shape allows airliners to be hit by lighting without any interior damage. I’ve actually been on a flight that was hit by lighting going into Chicago, and even though everything lit up very bright, the pilot said it was no big deal and indeed everything was fine. And an aluminum skin toy-hauler or race-car trailer would be just as safe in a lighting storm.”

http://noshockzone.org/lightning-safety/