Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Aluminum is a relatively good conductor of electricity, as Protagonist noted.

From Nachi (home inspectors):

"Between approximately 1965 and 1973, single-strand (solid) aluminum wiring was sometimes substituted for copper branch-circuit wiring in residential electrical systems due to the sudden escalating price of copper."
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:08 PM   #22
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
An article that shows through science your safest and Airstream:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/shorelo...-in-my-rv/amp/

“a Faraday Cage. This is where the electricity goes around the vehicle rather than inside...using this same theory an Airstream is about the safest as you can get since it’s shaped like a big aluminum twinkie....”
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:39 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Lightning is funny stuff, as in peculiar...

A rounded, smooth metal object (like an Airstream) is less likely to attract lightning for a couple reasons. For one, it has few 'pointy bits' that can start an electrical discharge. The other is that it acts like a Faraday cage, and can shunt the strike around the interior IF the frame is properly grounded to the shell.

The 'pointy bits' are important because lightning strikes tend to start with a 'leader discharge' that comes up from an object on the ground, then rises skyward, ionizing the air a bit as it goes. This becomes the path for the 'main strike' that comes down from the cloud and causes the big bang and flash. If you are outdoors, and your hair starts to stand up, its because Mother Nature is using you to begin to provide the 'leader discharge'. Not a good position to be in...

It is correct to disconnect utilities from the side of the Airstream if thunderstorms are likely in an area. The electrical cable is particularly good at conducting a lot of current from a strike, and it is an easy path into the interior past the Faraday cage of the shell. Lightning damage to the hardware inside the AS is caused by current flow in the electical system that can be either induced into the wiring by a close strike, or caused by the wiring being a discharge path for a strike. If you disconnect, the easy path is broken, and induced or discharge current possibility is minimized.

Its important to realize that lightning strikes are unpredictable at best. If you are seeing lightning, and hearing thunder less than 10 seconds after you see the flash, it's already 2 miles away, and often that is too darn close already...lightning has been known to reach out over two miles from the front edge of a thunderstorm cloud. Better to disconnect all the utilities before a storm gets that close.

Be aware, and stay alive. In case of a violent storm approaching, disconnect, and head for a sturdy permanent building if you can...lightning gets up to a couple million volts at a million amps or so--not to be trifled with!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:57 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
Protagonist and rmkrum nailed it. Among other things, as they and others pointed out, tires do NOT insulate you from lightning. Think about it: lightning can jump through a quarter mile or more of air, which is normally a pretty good insulator. Of course it can easily jump across your tires--only four or five more inches--to get to ground.

That's exactly what happened to my previous RV, an aluminum-skinned motorhome. Fortunately, the aluminum skin kept the main force of the jolt away from me and my cat. Unfortunately, I was plugged into shore power at the time, so a few items did get fried. If you're interested, you can read the story on my website.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:45 PM   #25

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
The other reason to disconnect your utilities, especially the power, is a strike elsewhere can travel into the trailer through them.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
Protagonist and rmkrum nailed it. Among other things, as they and others pointed out, tires do NOT insulate you from lightning. Think about it: lightning can jump through a quarter mile or more of air, which is normally a pretty good insulator. Of course it can easily jump across your tires--only four or five more inches--to get to ground.

That's exactly what happened to my previous RV, an aluminum-skinned motorhome. Fortunately, the aluminum skin kept the main force of the jolt away from me and my cat. Unfortunately, I was plugged into shore power at the time, so a few items did get fried. If you're interested, you can read the story on my website.
And to think for years my flight instructor said we were safe because our Cessna was a rubber-tired vehicle.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:28 PM   #27
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
And to think for years my flight instructor said we were safe because our Cessna was a rubber-tired vehicle.
Your flight instructor was absolutely correct; however you didn't hear the part where the landing gear must be retracted.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

I'm trying to be serious.....honest.

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:47 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Protagonist has it right
Except we sailors usually consider the mast to give a 60 degree cone of protection
The theory is that the high point bleeds off the electrical charge built up on the ground as long as the high point is fully grounded.
However a person standing on a golf course is not tall enough to bleed off the charge...just the high point in the electrical charge. Ouch
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:49 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
However a person standing on a golf course is not tall enough to bleed off the charge...just the high point in the electrical charge. Ouch JCW
An alarmingly common occurrence here in Florida. I believe we lead the nation in deaths by lightning, mostly on the golf courses but sometimes afloat on boats.

Just last night, the Weather Channel addressed this question, "Is it safe to be in a car during a thunderstorm?" Yes, it is, and gave a same explanation as Protagonist.

Also gave an airplane as another example of a safe metal container, even when struck by lighting. Lightning goes around, and then down to the ground.

Airplanes are basically Airstreams with wings.

Did caution not to touch the metal, whether inside a car, a plane (or a trailer).
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:22 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Cherryville , North Carolina
In my 40+ years as a commercial pilot I’ve had 3 encounters with lighting. One was in clear air between a couple of storms the second was ball lighting formed in very cold clouds and then releasing off the nose of the aircraft. The third and really the most frightening was sitting on the tarmac waiting for a storm to pass before takeoff. As we sat we had multiple strikes all around the aircraft before we where hit. We of course returned to the gate and after inspecting the plane could only find a small pin hole in one of the control surfaces. Needles to say we cancelled that flight and I changed clothes. Linghting is unpredictable tires will not provide insulation and static discharge devices (you see these on a lot of commercial buildings) may not do you any good. I don’t have any fool proof protection ideas other than to get out of the area or move to a larger structure.
Captnkirk54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:55 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
There is the "skin effect". It's why you're safer in an airplane or auto in a lightning strike. WHEN struck, the charge remains on the outside of the vehicle, or the skin. I'd say an Airstream will be the same. However all your electronics may be fried so if there's a bad storm nearby disconnect your power cord at the trailer. Why the trailer? Because a pulse may be induced in the cord laying on the ground.

In my boating days, I was frightened several times. But I was never struck. The boat manufacturer did not believe in grounding all the metal to a common ground plate. He theorized ground plates increased your chances of being struck. It must have worked. Being in a severe lightning storm while offshore while wet, holding a metal wheel, and staring up at a 50' aluminum mast will have you discovering religion. I know I did.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:46 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Saint Elmo’s Fire coming off pretty much the entire mast and superstructure of an aircraft carrier is pretty but scary as hell if you happen to be out on deck.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:44 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post

In my boating days, I was frightened several times. But I was never struck. The boat manufacturer did not believe in grounding all the metal to a common ground plate. He theorized ground plates increased your chances of being struck. It must have worked. Being in a severe lightning storm while offshore while wet, holding a metal wheel, and staring up at a 50' aluminum mast will have you discovering religion. I know I did.
I trusted the aluminum mast grounded to my keel
When I built the boat I was worried my bonding wires were not big enough
Only later did I learn they were there to bleed off the charge, not carry the strike.
Still a direct hit is possible and it usually also punches multiple holes in the boat since the strike breaks up into multiple forks as it hits the ground.
The shear mass of a trailer or auto simply provides a conductive path and high voltage current travels over the surface of the conductor.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:03 AM   #34
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Henne Penny. The sky is falling.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:49 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
I trusted the aluminum mast grounded to my keel
When I built the boat I was worried my bonding wires were not big enough
Only later did I learn they were there to bleed off the charge, not carry the strike.
Still a direct hit is possible and it usually also punches multiple holes in the boat since the strike breaks up into multiple forks as it hits the ground.
The shear mass of a trailer or auto simply provides a conductive path and high voltage current travels over the surface of the conductor.
JCW
Since I was boating in Florida I did a lot of research on lightning strikes. I concluded that they're rare enough to be difficult to form a scientific opinion. I did see boats that had been struck and the black marks on the mast and chainplates were eyeopeners.
I came across this device. It looks like a small metal broom, to be mounted at the masthead. The anatomy of a lightning strike starts with a "streamer" that goes from the ground to the cloud. This device discharges the static charge that becomes a streamer, followed by a bolt coming down. Also, most lightning occurs at the edges of the cloud, not the center.
My antenna was fiberglass, and thankfully, I was never struck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	200014_1.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	306041  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
Lightning and tires

Here's an old photo that shows what happens when a vehicle is struck.

Note how the strike jumps the left front tire to get to ground.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:03 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
Here's an old photo that shows what happens when a vehicle is struck.

Note how the strike jumps the left front tire to get to ground.
What an awesome photo. Thanks for sharing.

For those curious about surviving a lightning strike, check out "Shattered Air" by Bob Madgic.

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:06 PM   #38
After$hk

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Hudson , Florida
Ok 1973 Argosy, I’m curious... how do you know this?
Aftershk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:39 PM   #39
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Aluminum is a relatively good conductor of electricity, as Protagonist noted.

From Nachi (home inspectors):

"Between approximately 1965 and 1973, single-strand (solid) aluminum wiring was sometimes substituted for copper branch-circuit wiring in residential electrical systems due to the sudden escalating price of copper."
Aluminum is an excellent conductor and has been in use by the utilities for decades. We also use it every day for feeders to sub panels, main panels, large machinery, kitchen cooking appliances, AC units etc etc
Old 12-14-2018, 10:07 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Yup. But the hardware has to be designed for aluminum, the proper treatment (grease) MUST be used, and the fittings SHALL be properly torqued.
Single-strand stuff, improperly installed was a fire lurking in your electrical system.
For big stuff, like distribution systems, I’m fine with it.
For me, I’ll spend the money for copper wherever I can.