Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
San Antonio , Texas
Anyone take Ferry on North Carolina Outer Banks

Hello-
We will be going to Cape Hatteras Lighthouse in mid-March to start a volunteer gig with the National Park Service. The park ranger advised us to take Hwy 64 from Rocky Mount to Cape Hatteras. My husband, who is always looking for adventure, wants to drive along the coast (towing our 25' streamer) of North Carolina. We would take Hwy 12 to the toll ferry to Ocracoke Island and continue on Hwy 12 to Cape Hatteras. Has anyone done this? Any advice?
TIA
Victoria & Joseph
2Tex4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes, yes, yes!!!

We have taken this ferry several times, look for and take ferries all 'round the country, everywhere we go.

Being little, we weren't concerned about length, but you might want to check on that. Perhaps should also make a reservation as I recall these are booked up pretty full the day-of.

The outer banks got hit fairly hard with the hurricane last fall, you might also want to check on that.

A beautiful area. Have a great trip!

Maggie
Old 01-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We took that same ferry the other way several years ago. We had an Excursion, a 28 foot SOB trailer, and bike racks on the front of the Excursion and rear of the trailer. If memory serves, we were charged for 50 feet of length (maybe 55 feet?). The folks running the ferry service were friendly and quite good at positioning all the cars, trucks, and us onto the ferry. From what I remember, we did have a reservation, and the cost for the ferry ride was very reasonable.

It was a very enjoyable trip, and I highly recommend it.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
We also have been on that ferry with an SOB. Had no problems. However, an AS is much lower to the ground than most SOB's, I would be concerned with dragging something on the ramp getting on & off. It's not exactly a level entry/departure. A 30 footer might leave something you don't want to leave. An adventure for sure. Have a great time out there. John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

I have taken the ferries all down the outer banks. I have an '88 345 motorhome. They put tractor trailers on the ferries all the time so an Airstream is not a problem at all for them. They just park you on the uncovered side of the ferries and off you go.
8rmesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Better check the condition of Hwy 12 prior to leaving. It is still partially closed from Hurricane Season v2011.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Highway 12 was reopened about the middle of October so you should not have a problem. Since you are coming from the south (and I love adventure) You should definately take the ferry from Cedar Island to Okracoke. Crowds won't be a problem in March. Make sure that you go through Beaufort. I remember eating at a restaurant right on the harbor.

Which campground will you be at? Ocracoke is our favorite of the National Seashore campgrounds.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote