Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2016, 06:52 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We'll see you out there.

We will be in Yellowstone over the 4th of July. Look for the 22 Sport and the Big Red Tundra!

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:06 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We'll do a couple of months in Montana, BC and Wyoming.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Off to Alaska for a couple months then down the Washington and Oregon coast before heading back East via Crater Lake and other yet to be determine points.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:59 PM   #24

1996 30' Excella
Clearwater , Florida
Anyone have any tips for Airstream camping in Yellowstone and the Tetons, such as campgrounds that are good, those to avoid?
lifeknight8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:29 PM   #25
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
We're planning on going up 395, hitting up the big National Parks in CA, into Oregon and Washington, Idaho for the summer months. Then down into Utah and Colorado and let the cold push us south.
We were close to you guys last winter (Borrego Springs) - perhaps we cross paths in Utah in the fall...
Knuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:31 AM   #26
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeknight8 View Post
Anyone have any tips for Airstream camping in Yellowstone and the Tetons, such as campgrounds that are good, those to avoid?
We were there last year.
I don't know when you're planning to go, but the season is rather short at Yellowstone. This site will tell you the dates the campgrounds are open: https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm If you want to camp in the park, I would recommend a reservation made ASAP for one of the CGs that takes reservations, as the park is so popular and the first-come first-served CGs tend to fill up very early in the morning. I think the Mammoth Hot Springs CG is less busy than most, but it is further away from most of the main thermal features.

We've also stayed at the Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone. Expensive, but close to the park in a RV resort atmosphere.

The locals and regulars will hopefully tell you about US Forest Service CGs in the area.

Just try to start your sight-seeing early in the day, as the main thermal features and Yellowstone falls attract hordes of visitors as the day wears on, and parking can be troublesome.

Info on camping in Grand Teton NP is here: https://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/camping.htm Apparently the Colter Bay CG (not the Colter Bay RV park) usually has space if you get there early in the afternoon.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:57 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Watch the Ponies Run

New short trip, heading to Keeneland Horse Track in Lexington KY to partake in the annual Makers Mark 46 Mile (on turf) extravaganza next weekend. Camping at Kentucky Horse Park.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:10 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Tulsa , Oklahoma
We are planning on heading from Tulsa OK to Santa Fe, Grand Canyon, Joshua Tree, Yosemite, Vegas, Zion, Denver then back home...5-6 weeks or so....This will be our longest family vacation yet. I'll be working remote for most of it. We're pretty excited about it.

--DD
DDOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:22 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
Seattle to (!!!) Lewisburg, West Virginia!!!

We got a new AS last fall, & my sweetie says she wants to go to an AS Rally, so we've signed up to go to Lewisburg. As you may infer, i am somewhat less than totally enthusiastic about pulling a trailer 2500 miles to spend a week at, of all places, Lewisburg, WV, but I'm putting energy into keeping an open mind & am looking forward to having fun & being proven wrong that Lewisburg, WV, might actually have something to say for itself. Let's put it this way, if I were choosing a site for an International AS Rally, I doubt that WV or Lewisburg would be on my list. All in all, I'd rather be going to some place like Alaska, which I'll be lobbying her to do in summer, 2017.
Head to the International in Escanaba in Summer of 2017! Michigan's UP is the closest thing to Alaska in the lower 48. Course you'll have to leave the concrete jungle of Escanaba to get to the UP wilderness...
Old 04-10-2016, 09:29 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Heading to Glacier in July. Staying at West Glacier KOA. Haven't stayed in a KOA since the 70s, hope it's a good experience...of course, most of our time will be spent hiking in the park. Luckily, we were able to score an extra large site. Need lots of room to maneuver in our FC20!
Old 04-12-2016, 04:54 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
Heading to Glacier in July. Staying at West Glacier KOA. Haven't stayed in a KOA since the 70s, hope it's a good experience...of course, most of our time will be spent hiking in the park. Luckily, we were able to score an extra large site. Need lots of room to maneuver in our FC20!

We have been to West Glacier KOA twice, going again this July as last year the fires were so bad they closed the Going to the Sun highway at mid point. We like this park, down a semi-private road, view of a pretty good mountain and only about three miles to the West Gate. LARGE park, well run, clean and nice walking for our dogs down the road to the main highway. Also, they have a person come in and cook dinner each night $$, with several different offerings.

Enjoy

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:04 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
We have been to West Glacier KOA twice, going again this July as last year the fires were so bad they closed the Going to the Sun highway at mid point. We like this park, down a semi-private road, view of a pretty good mountain and only about three miles to the West Gate. LARGE park, well run, clean and nice walking for our dogs down the road to the main highway. Also, they have a person come in and cook dinner each night $$, with several different offerings.

Enjoy

Bud

Thanks Bud, good to know! Look for us when you're there in July. We'll be the little Airstream (7246) in a big site.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:32 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
Moving back to Alaska so we're going to do the reverse of the trip my wife and I did in 2010. We're going from Oklahoma City to Cleveland Ohio to Seattle Washington to Anchorage Alaska. Should be a 30 day road trip!
waldosgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:53 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Germantown , Tennessee
We will be gone most July. Headed out from Memphis. Our plan is to hit Santa Fe then the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches, Canyonlands, Mesa Verde, Great Sand Dunes and then head back home.
jami20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:54 PM   #35
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
What a great trip. We've been at some of these parks recently and the crowds are gi-mongous. Probably due to cheaper gas and the parks centennial. We would suggest advance reservations for the more popular destinations.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:36 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we are still recovering from our 2015 cross country trip of 3 1/2 months and over 13,000 miles. Right now, my gas bill for the month is lower than it was per day on our trip.

Building a 12' gate and a 76' fence around my Airstream, more garden work, and a future patio cover.

Maybe later in the year we might get out for a rally or two.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000843.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	260697   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000847.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	293.2 KB
ID:	260698  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:36 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
If my trailer is ready I'll be going to Lewisburg. I'm hoping to go to my 1st international rally. I'm taking Agnes my 62 Tradewind with me! Biggest trip I have ever taken by myseft! Hoping to meet new friends, old friends and have lots of fun this year.
Rachel
1962 Tradewind "Agnes"Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1460644597.096354.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	260709

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:21 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Waynesville , North Carolina
This will be our first, long, retirement trip. Leaving Florida in mid-June - camping in GA, SC, NC, VA, MD, OH, MI, WS, MN, SD, WY, CO, TX, LA and FL. Our previous long trip was out to Denver and back in one month. Too short, as we spent two weeks in Denver alone. More leisurely pace this time. Only three legs are more than 350 miles and the average stop-over is around 3.5 nights. We're booked for 12 nights in Yellowstone and 10 in Grand Teton though. Our last stop will be in Lake Manatee State Park in Florida where we'll celebrate Thanksgiving with family. Took the conservative path this time - made reservations from beginning to end. We might decide to wing it in 2017 when we plan to do the national parks in Utah, then AZ, CA OR, WA, MT, ID and Colorado before heading home to Florida again.
2016 RAM 2500
FL Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:14 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Germantown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
What a great trip. We've been at some of these parks recently and the crowds are gi-mongous. Probably due to cheaper gas and the parks centennial. We would suggest advance reservations for the more popular destinations.
Yeah, I'm not looking forward to the big crowds. Luckily I planned several months back and have reservations at all the parks except Bryce. Last summer we went through South Dakota (Badlands, Rushmore and etc.) over to Wyoming (Devils Tower, Teton and Yellowstone) and then up to Glacier. The crowds were pretty big last year, but with this being the centennial, and going to more easily accessible parks, I expect some craziness this year

But, I'm just glad we planned well ahead. I've got friends who want to visit Yellowstone for the first time this summer (not in a trailer). They aren't big into planning and are hoping to be able to "figure something out" a week or two before they decide to go to the park this summer
jami20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:09 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
We, too, will be doing our first BIG retirement trip. 3 months, from Memorial day to Labor day. North through Colorado, East to Minnesota, South to visit family in WI and Chicago, further East to a family reunion in Buffalo & down to NC, where a dear friend is moving this very summer. Then back to the Southwest. Scrolling through the posts on this forum. Woo Hoo!