Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Anybody used an Atlanta-area RV shop to work on an Airstream?

Anybody had a good trust-worthy experience with an RV shop in Atlanta area working on your AS? I've got some warranty stuff that needs to be done, and the dealer that I trust--PECO--just told me that they won't work on Airstreams, and refused an explanation. So I'm looking for a place that I can trust not to sqrue me.

Extra points if you have had anyone work on the interior aluminum and not completely screw it up.

Extra-extra points if you've had warranty work done and done the invoice-and-reimbursement dance and can tell me about it.

If you don't want to go public, please contact me via private message on this site, or you could e-mail whoever uses the alias "brad-dot-martin-dot-writer at gmail."
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
I will repeat what I answered in one of your other threads. Ford dealers don't do work on Chevy vehicles. Find an Airstream dealer and look at it as a camping trip.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Refer to my answer on the "HELP! Warranty Work by..." thread before you delve too far into this. If Georgia is one of those states that forbids third-party warrnaty repairs, you may want to cut PECO some slack; it may not be their fault.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Yikes, three threads with the same question.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:54 PM   #5
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Man, you gotta love Peco RV. I worked down the street from them for about 5 years. I musta bought a shopping cart full of stuff from them for my old '73 a few years back. Great folks and a really nice stock of parts.

I don't know of anybody in the Atlanta area that I would recommend to work on your 'Stream for warranty work. There hasn't been a dealer around here for several years. Camping World off of I-575 in Woodstock was a dealer for a while, but they gave it up after the great flood a few years back (in other words, don't take that as an endorsement). There was a place up near White Water in Marietta (on Cobb Parkway?), that was a dealer for a while, that I've seen some good posts here abouts, but they are no longer a dealer either.

I will strongly recommend Out Of Doors Mart in Colfax, N.C. They are a long standing Airstream Dealer with a great reputation here on the forums. About a one day drive from the Atlanta area. Maybe you could drop it off and come back in a couple weeks and pick it up?

Just curious why you don't want to return it to the dealer that you purchased it from, just too many miles from here to there?

I live on the south-side if you want to talk on the phone. PM me if interested.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Protagonist: Georgia is not a no-third-party-repairs state. I didn't know there were any left. I'm not quite sure how LA gets away with it. Seems like a restraint of trade. Someone should call the FTC.

Anyway, I'm not blaming PECO at all. I think there's another dynamic here. But that's mere speculation at this point.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
I guess if I have to return to the dealer I bought it from--8 hours one way, down in Tampa--I will. It's just a shock that after doing pre-purchase research, and after talking to both my local trusted repair shop and Airstream before I bought, that now I find that they both misrepresented the truth and that now I have to drive a full day each way to get warranty work done. If this turns out to truly be the case, I would certainly not recommend that anyone more than 100 miles from an Airstream dealer buy one under warranty. I can't figure out if I'm more upset or more p---ed off. Probably a lot more of the former today and a lot more of the latter tomorrow.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
No, Awchief, they were all different questions. You gotta read, my silver brother.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
I guess if I have to return to the dealer I bought it from--8 hours one way, down in Tampa--I will. It's just a shock that after doing pre-purchase research, and after talking to both my local trusted repair shop and Airstream before I bought, that now I find that they both misrepresented the truth and that now I have to drive a full day each way to get warranty work done. If this turns out to truly be the case, I would certainly not recommend that anyone more than 100 miles from an Airstream dealer buy one under warranty. I can't figure out if I'm more upset or more p---ed off. Probably a lot more of the former today and a lot more of the latter tomorrow.
You seem upset and I'm sorry for that. A suggestion offered to help - you're likely going to bundle all your warranty work as you build a punch list. Maybe you go once each year during your 2-year warranty period. If so - just try to make a camping trip out of it. The mothership is about 500 miles from Atlanta. Schedule the repairs appointment and take a few days off. Have fun with it. I've come to love driving that trailer around so much, I'm LOOKING for opportunities to do it!

Maybe I should open a business driving people's trailers to the mothership for service :-)

Seriously - it's not as convenient as you hoped - but it's another excuse to go camping and see the country - isn't that why you have it?

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
SteveSueMac: I was upset, all right. It's not really about convenience: it's that I did the research before I bought and was basically lied to by everyone in the mix. That really hacks me off.

However, I've now calmed down and accepted that this is just another way of the Universe testing my ability to be accepting and of good humor and to give me some practice with patience--OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM-GDI!-OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. We have been bundling up little things into a punch list. And I have prety much reached the conclusion you suggested: make a trip to the dealer or to the Mother Ship once a year during our warranty. It just wasn't what we planned, based on our research and that just really p------Ommmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmm...
Old 11-05-2014, 07:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Three Way Campers in Marietta was an Airstream dealer for years and still has knowledgeable staff
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:06 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Take it to JD Sanders in Alachua, Fl for the work. I use them for all AS work and very satisfied. Will save you about 3 hours travel time.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:22 AM   #13
Builder of Diesel Jeeps

2014 28' International
Sedona , Arizona
The closest to us is 225 miles away, so, like everything else, I perform my own repairs. In the case of "as delivered" problems when we got it home the first time, I took pictures, sent an e-mail invoice-style, and requested AS send the parts.

They did.
westernjeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:31 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Sometimes the dealer won't have the parts on hand and will want you to leave the trailer.
That is why I chose to take my trailer to Jackson Center for warranty work. I kept a running "punch list" for the 2 years and then took it to Jackson Center. They fixed everything to better than new in 3 days and didn't charge one cent. The closest dealer is 5 hours away and wanted me to leave the trailer- 20 hours by the time I make 2 trips and I don't have my trailer for 2 or more weeks. I can't imagine not having my trailer to camp.
The whole experience of staying in the Terraport, touring the factory, and touring New Breman and Dayton was cool.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Atlanta area RV shop

There is an AS dealer just south of Knoxville that does warranty work. It is Chillowthe RV. From Cumming, it's only 3 hours up 411.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote