Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2017, 11:14 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Before driving away-- " always walk around one last time Look up look down and always walk around the entire TV and Airstream", I qurantee you will eventually have missed something, no how impatient you are on driving off-- just do it everytime.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:35 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Kodiak , Alaska
Congratulations! Fabulous info one and all, with the exception of putting heavy items in overhead compartments. I'm learning too after only a year with my 16'. One of your questions was asking what size of socket to use for the levellers. Did you mean the stabilizers? If so, then I believe one is included. One thing I absolutely need is the collapsible stool; it folds flat for storage after assisting with various duties but makes a great end table at the campfire.
chelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:38 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Be patient, be careful. Once that's done, have fun!

Congratulations on the new trailer.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:49 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Congrats!! You picked our favorite model Airstream...what a great first choice!

Water...we never drink water from the trailer faucets. Never know what each campgrounds water system is like...and many are on well water. Even water in the trailer tank we avoid drinking...just as a safety precaution.

We take bottle water for drinking and coffee making...just a added precaution and little more peace of mind.

Have fun...you will make mistakes but don't be fooled every Airstreamer on this forum has.

Don't be afraid to ask a neighbor camper for help with something if needed. Everyone remembers their first trailer...and the learning curve!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:08 PM   #25
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Just one more thing to first-timers to RVing, as well as Airstream.

If you get into some kind of pickle at a campground, don't be afraid to either ask for help, or accept it if it's offered. Most commonly this would be something like a tight right-angle back-in site at a state or national park or forest. (There are also many threads here on backing tips.) But it could be almost anything.

You may feel like an idiot momentarily, but you will make some other guy feel like a hero Good Samaritan. And that's a good thing.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:26 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelli View Post
Congratulations! Fabulous info one and all, with the exception of putting heavy items in overhead compartments. I'm learning too after only a year with my 16'. One of your questions was asking what size of socket to use for the levellers. Did you mean the stabilizers? If so, then I believe one is included. One thing I absolutely need is the collapsible stool; it folds flat for storage after assisting with various duties but makes a great end table at the campfire.

It is, mine was a speed wrench type of tool. Yes, it worked, but:

If you buy the socket, and chuck it in a cordless drill, it makes the job go much much faster.

On topic: Welcome! Some great ideas here. I can think of one more: I use the "Clinometer" app on my smart phone to check level. It works pretty well.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:09 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Open Road , USA
I haven't read through everything posted but I want to and my two cents...I just picked up my new '17 27 foot international two days ago. Record the whole demo! It's a lot to take in. Don't over think it! Have fun. I left my first weekend thinking it was going to be a lot more difficult than it was. Like you I did plenty of research before. Also...talk to your neighbors at the campsite! Ours gave good advice regarding having enough waste in your black tank to let gravity push it down instead of emptying when there isn't much there.
chelseykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:15 PM   #28
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Check the lighs

The Airstream manuals in the 70's used to say drive 20', get out, go back and see what you left.

Another thing to check on the walk around is that all the lights are working.
We drove into a rally an hour and a half after dark to find we had no tail lights or running lights. A spade connector had come loose on the fuse block for the umbilical cord. We now always check turn signals, brake and tail lights!
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:44 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Kodiak , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
It is, mine was a speed wrench type of tool. Yes, it worked, but:

If you buy the socket, and chuck it in a cordless drill, it makes the job go much much faster.

On topic: Welcome! Some great ideas here. I can think of one more: I use the "Clinometer" app on my smart phone to check level. It works pretty well.
That makes sense. Thank you.
chelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:37 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie321 View Post
I too am a newbie...Picking up my new trailer on Wednesday. As I am inexperienced with AS lifestyle, I wanted to say hello and look forward to reading and learning. The AS is a 27FB and the TV will be a 2012 GMC Yukon XL (4 wheel available) when needed. Anyone see any problems? Thanks, Scott

Thanks for all the great notes!

Scott
Please look on the drivers door frame for a yellow sticker saying something like "Combined weight of vehicle and contents should never exceed ..." followed by numbers in KG and LB. This will give you a payload figure. You deduct from that the tongue weight for your trailer, weight of passengers you will take and any cargo you will be carrying. The resulting number needs to be greater than zero.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:23 AM   #31

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Don't allow yourself to be rushed. The other day when we were leaving my wife was telling me to hurry we are behind schedule, but I needed to put some fresh water in the tank. In my rush first time I hooked it up to the black water tank flush, second time I hooked it up to the city water hook up. Third time was the charm when I walked round to the other side and dope slapped my self. I was so focused on other tasks that I didn't think through what I needed to do.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:32 AM   #32
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Checklists. Did I say checklists? Let me check the checklist.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:27 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Look up , look down, walk around, before leaving -going and coming. Your mind is busy easy to forget something on the ground trailer or tow vehicle.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:54 PM   #34
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Not to mention literally counting your number of stabilizers to make sure they're all up. I overlooked one in a shady spot once, and it dragged through our gravel parking pad. At least, by following the 20' rule and with the passenger outside to check for stuff, we caught it before getting on the pavement. Yes, the stabilizer was broken. We've seen other campers leaving a campsite doing this, also.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:15 PM   #35
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Speaking of look up, be sure to look up as you back into that perfect camping spot. Sometimes a branch will seem to rudely lower itself as you back into your spot, in hopes of scratching or denting your trailer from above.

Oh and the eaves of that nearby house can do the same when you back into a driveway.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:49 PM   #36
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
I second looking up. Low limbs can break AC shrouds and look for broken, cracked or hanging limbs waiting to fall. We camped in a city park on a rally last year and moved when we noticed a large hole rotted at the base of a big overhanging limb. A big wind could have brought it down and we don't need a tree on top of our trailer. We put chairs in the drive while there, pointed it out to incoming arriving campers and left a note with the site number for the management.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:11 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
Compressor: We've used the Viair 70P for several years, works fine for us.

Checklists: I keep my abbreviated checklists for hookup/unhooking laminated to the front of the propane cover where I can see them while I do it. Some things you just don't want to mess up...

Walkie talkies are part of our requirements for backing in to spots, even the easy ones. For tight ones they can make the difference between impossible and possible.

And I second the previous poster's thoughts about haste: the times we've come closest to disaster have been when we've felt rushed. If you feel like the pressure's on, slow down.

Dan
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
I found that the checklists were overwhelming and instead broke them down into tasks to be done by individuals. This translates into bags for each task so when you arrive and set-up, one person gets the ELECTRIC bag and the other gets the WATER bag. If there are more people than another gets the RV PARKING bag and so forth until someone gets two.

Each bag is equipped with everything needed. Of note, we went with Red ribbons similar to what is used by a pilot in performing an exterior check. These are in the STABILIZER bag. If you follow this process, it's hard to mess-up.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:45 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Just spent the last couple of hours replacing the lugnuts.

Better to do this now then on the side of the road in the dark & rain. Dealing with the cheap covers over the cheap lugnuts is no fun and I doubt I'd be travelling with a 5lb lump hammer to drive on a deep 3/4" impact socket to get that one bad lugnut. Why Airstream cheaped out so badly on these is beyond me.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:36 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH View Post
Just spent the last couple of hours replacing the lugnuts.

Better to do this now then on the side of the road in the dark & rain. Dealing with the cheap covers over the cheap lugnuts is no fun and I doubt I'd be travelling with a 5lb lump hammer to drive on a deep 3/4" impact socket to get that one bad lugnut. Why Airstream cheaped out so badly on these is beyond me.
What did you replace them with and where did you get them? Thanks.
luforia is offline   Reply With Quote