Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2022, 09:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
An upset neighbor

After visiting 80 or so campgrounds, we just had a first. Our neighbors who parked next to us today knocked on our door and requested us to turn off our heat pumps. We have five or so feet in between our trailers and I assume their slide outs aren’t well sealed. She said the noise is unbearable. The other option is to run the furnace which is pointed right at them like a cannon, which of course turns on and off throughout the the night.
Old 06-16-2022, 09:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Interesting. I’ve never encountered anything like that. I’m sure her RV is totally silent…

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 10:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
It sounds like a very tight campground...screw them.....you will be dealing with their noise is my approach.
Or if you want to be nasty and as you said have your furnace blowing on them for noise and heat...then let er rip tater chip.
Its up to you what you do, but it does not sound like a happy place to be parked....ignore the idiot who knocked on your door. and move on.
The proactive response would be to let the campground management know this person has taken moves towards your spot. Let them deal with it.

Best of luck to you.
Bob
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
A lot would depend on your neighbor's attitude when they knocked on your door. Were they polite with their request or demanding and belligerent?

That said, I suppose I can see how a pair of heat pumps running all night could be disturbing. Although it's tempting to use the heat pumps when we're on a campground's shore power rather than burning propane, we find the furnace in our 2020 Globetrotter is much less intrusive, noise wise, than our twin heat pumps, even inside our own trailer. If you use the furnace and the neighbors still complain then I'd say they are being unreasonable. As far as the furnace cycling on and off, don't your heat pumps do that as well? Ours do.

Anyway, good luck and hope you get things sorted out.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 12:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
A lot would depend on your neighbor's attitude when they knocked on your door. Were they polite with their request or demanding and belligerent?

That said, I suppose I can see how a pair of heat pumps running all night could be disturbing. Although it's tempting to use the heat pumps when we're on a campground's shore power rather than burning propane, we find the furnace in our 2020 Globetrotter is much less intrusive, noise wise, than our twin heat pumps, even inside our own trailer. If you use the furnace and the neighbors still complain then I'd say they are being unreasonable. As far as the furnace cycling on and off, don't your heat pumps do that as well? Ours do.

Anyway, good luck and hope you get things sorted out.
She wasn’t angry, more like irritated and complaining. As she started walking away, she yelled back “I sure hope they won’t be running all night”. As she walked up to knock on the door, I though there was something actually wrong. I was blown away when I realized she was irritated that we were running our heat.

When running our heat pumps or AC, we always leave the fans set to (on) not (auto). This way the fans stay on constant which drowns out any disrupting cycling of the pump. I think our furnace is actually louder. It sounds like a jet engine with a deep grown that reverberates through just about everything. I might just have to run that.
Old 06-17-2022, 05:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
If you're cold you're cold. Never thought that unit made so much noise.
Old 06-17-2022, 06:15 AM   #7
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
We sometimes run a small electric heater inside our AS. It is the quietest option we’ve found. I’ve been irritated by RVs running generators, or AC units when I’ve tent camped near them, but I’ve never even thought to ask someone to turn off AC.. I mean, that’s what you should expect when you select a CG with 5’ between sites.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 06:16 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I would have brought you a union suit just asked you to shut it off...please.

POI...one of our favorite campgrounds has no hook-ups. If we have or get neighbors I always made a point of greeting and letting them know we have a generator and if they need power they are welcome to it.
I never had a request or complaint.

Bob
🇺🇦🇺🇸🇺🇦
Old 06-17-2022, 06:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
We use a small space heater as well at nighttime as we don’t like the cycling on/off as well during the night. Just our personal preference. I’ve never heard of anyone complaining about HVAC use unless powered by a generator. I agree with others that her request seems a little unreasonable.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
I bought an oil filled space heater and augment that with the furnace if at full hookups for this reason. The heatpump is noisy inside and noisier outside. If it's hot, everyone runs their AC so it's not a big deal but if you need to heat the trailer I wouldn't want to be the only one running a heat pump all night both for myself and my neighbors' expectation of a peaceful night. Fortunately, most of my camping is no full hookups and in such cases I shut down the hot water heater and lower the furnace to 60 or so to be a good quiet neighbor overnight (23:00 to 07:00) - Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Your gear and options are there for your use....they don't like it, they can leave or move.....I wouldn't have been so nice if I were in your shoes.

People have real nerve these days....
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:51 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I usually go for problem solving, not confrontation.
The last time I had a neighbor 5' away was Alumalina and I wish I had a noise maker, but that's another story.
I've never had anyone knock on my door about noise.
Do you carry an electric heater? Otherwise, "Sorry, would you rather I use the furnace?"
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 03:48 PM   #13
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
I hope that lady learned a valuable lesson about camping in an RV parking lot. I hope she didn't fall for the info on the brochure about the park being a Garden of Eden.
Old 06-17-2022, 04:20 PM   #14
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I had a camping neighbor suggest that I would enjoy sleeping more if I turned my AC off and opened my windows. I noticed her windows were open. I guess she didn't like listening to my AC.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 04:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I had a camping neighbor suggest that I would enjoy sleeping more if I turned my AC off and opened my windows. I noticed her windows were open. I guess she didn't like listening to my AC.
There's a whole hierarchy of windows vs. A/C.
Go to a place with mostly motor homes and no one has windows open. I can't be sure I ever opened the windows on mine except the one for toll booths!
As the size goes down the windows open more. It took me a while to break the habit of "park/power/turn on A/C."
I actually discovered I liked the windows open.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Yes. Windows open unless the camp-smolders (there’s no flame so they can’t be camp-fires) make it impossible to breathe.

How cold is it where the OP is staying? We never run the heat pump at night because it’s so noisy for us. The furnace is set to the low 50s. The furnace rarely comes on unless temps are in the low 30s or lower. Two warm bodies in a queen bed make it pretty cozy.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 01:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Fortunately our jet engine of a furnace exhaust is center rear on our Airstream. In cold weather it’s noisy inside, and I don’t worry about outside.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 06:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
You needed 2 heat pumps in June? Or were you running the AC?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 06:43 AM   #19
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Can't speak for the OP, but we're camping outside of Grand Rapids MI and needed to run the heat strip this morning.

There is a reason we camp up north in the summer, but sometimes the cold nights require a bit of heat to keep the marital bliss.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 07:50 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
You needed 2 heat pumps in June? Or were you running the AC?
We could probably make some accommodations if this were heat. Furnace, space heater etc. if it were the AC I’d say sorry, nothing I can do for you. I don’t care for the AC sound either, but here in Florida there would basically be no camping most of the year without it. Those Penguins are loud though.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote