Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2022, 03:17 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tallahassee , Florida
My own heatpump keeps me awake, I don't use it
Omega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 05:27 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I guess my having a vintage AS, I don't have heat pumps or the issues associated with them. For cold nights (and it does cold in AZ in the winter) I use a blue flame heater.

I did have a confrontation once when camping on BLM land in Yuma. I pulled into a nice spot and set up camp. Next thing I knew, some guy in a Class C come in and parked literally 2 feet from my left rear corner. I politely asked him to move after his dog relived itself on my left rear tire, and his answer was that "he was here first". It seems he had gone into town to do some shopping and had not left anything behind to indicate that he would only be temporarily absent. He was very stubborn and refused to yield. I said nothing further. About an hour later the rangers came through, and my buddy camped not too far from me told the rangers what had transpired. The ranger ambled over to this guy's Class C and had a chat with him. In essence he told them that once they leave the spot they are camped in, anyone could use it, and secondly (more important) it is mandatory that there be at least 20-ft between parked vehicles to allow for an ambulance to pass through in the event of an emergency. The guy backed away really quickly and never bothered us again.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 05:27 PM   #43
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
A few points not yet made:

A. You are paying for electric so you might as well use it instead of using gas that you paid for and might need for dry camping.

B. The RV industry does not see "quiet" as a necessity. If they did, they would install quieter components. And the walls would be thicker and better insulated.

When I camp in Florida I run the a/c. when I camp in Maine I run my heat pumps. Sometimes we are lucky and need neither. Solitude and quiet while camping is hard to find.

Honestly, I have more issues with RV wind chimes!
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 05:30 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Give her a "stiff" drink or 2
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:03 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
We’re in Northern Michigan tonight, outside of Petoskey. It’s going to be a low of 49° tonight. We picked up a small ceramic 900/1500W electric heater to try instead of the Furnace. The heat pump works fine but it’s kinda noisy. The furnace isn’t as bad but dries us out. And it’s either blast furnace hot (on) or ice cold (off). Lately we’ve throttled way back on the thermostat, and been using some fuzzy blankets we picked up at Wally World.

On topic: 500+ nights in an RV since 2017, never once been approached by an unhappy neighbor. The good thing about RVing is if you don’t get along, you get to move in a few days anyway. .

I’d try and accommodate any reasonable request to keep the noise down, but, if I needed my utilities running for personal comfort, I’m not sure that it would be reasonable to turn them off. That includes heat pump, furnace, or AC. It’s an RV Park, not a Library.

I mean, I have huge problems with people who can’t seem to build a fire without making smoke signals for the entire County, but I don’t complain.

So, yeah, no, I don’t think so.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:16 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
You needed 2 heat pumps in June? Or were you running the AC?
Heat pumps, we had a low of 44 that night

It worked out, we turned off the pumps at 10:30 and set the furnace to 52, I'm not even sure the furnace turned on. That lady knocking on my door was definitely a unicorn.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:19 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Our 2014 Flying Cloud was parked right next to a new one in Florida this winter. Their AC was extremely loud. I did some research and found that the new models seem to be much louder outside. A heat pump is basically an AC in reverse.

I think it's a known problem at Jackson Center. You might talk to them about it.

By the way, after we left our neighbors on the other side let us know that the same unit was too loud for THEM, even though they were two campsites away.

Neither of us knocked on their door, though. You may have had many people bothered by it, but they were too polite to say anything until now.

My suggestion is to use the furnace until you get to the bottom of the problem.
Outdoors4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:40 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Ridiculous. As was said, it is an RV park and not a library. Screaming kids, crap music blaring, gennies running and whatnot all morning, afternoon and evening.

So it’s after hours and your legit equipment is a little loud? So is the idiot’s music inside with screens open, the always-arguing couple next door and the crying baby that won’t sleep.

Too bad.
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:48 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
This whole thread reminds me of this tale about Daniel Boone
https://medium.com/@GMcKCypress/ther...e-c23aadfbe157
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:00 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Crescent City , California
Speaking about Daniel Boone...
Price of glamping in luxury. If she wants silence, I suggest she get a tent and head into the wilderness.
Gun2Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:19 PM   #51
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun2Head View Post
Price of glamping in luxury. If she wants silence, I suggest she get a tent and head into the wilderness.
Hi

If you want to throw money at the problem, there likely are parks with more space between the sites. Since we don't know just *where* this was, it's hard to guess how much they would cost or even if they are an alternative.

5 feet to the next RV is *tight*. Yes there are a dozen parks within a five mile radius of this one that are at least that tight. Some are free, others are pay, some are pretty pricey.

Having spent roughly 40 years camping in tents, they are pretty much at the bottom of the list if "quiet" is what you are after. There's always going to be *something* making noise out there. Much of it will be worse than the heat pump on the trailer next to your trailer.

One interesting question not yet asked: How did she know it was *your* heat pump. I'd bet the guy on the other side of her was doing the same thing ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:49 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelloggKid View Post
I am amazed at the lack of respect and consideration for others evident in many of the responses. My wife is a very light sleeper and a heat pump next door would keep her awake all night. I don’t know how this lady presented herself but in concept her request was not out of line. Perhaps some of your trailers differ from mine but our heat pump is the noisiest source of heat we have. The furnace is much quieter and the little electric space heater even more so. If a neighbor asked me politely to seek a quieter solution I would try to do so out of basic respect for others. For those of you that seem to feel that you are entitled to do whatever you like with no concern for others I have news for you. You are not the center of the universe.
Totally agree. Plus you spent $100k on a trailer, $65K on a TV, $300 on fuel to get there, but damnn I'm not going to spend $6 on propane when I can get electric for free..
Reay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:31 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun2Head View Post
So I got a story for that too. We went there in April. I got there early and set up. It was cool enough that I could leave the windows wide open. Just a bit after 1 PM it was quiet and peaceful so I decided I owed myself a nap. Next thing I know, a detailing crew is pressure washing the Class A next to me. They have the pressure washer mounted in a van with the exhaust pointed right at my trailer and it sounded like the muffler had rusted off back in the Reagan administration. After 30 min of this I called the front and asked "for what I'm paying here you gotta be kidding me if you expect me to listen to this". Did not do any good since it went on for another bit until they were done.

Moral is, just paying $200/night guarantees you nothing.
Old 06-23-2022, 04:35 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
The loud noise is not a bug, it's a feature. Low profile AC/Heat pumps utilize smaller coils and need to move more air over them to get the same BTUs moving. I've read on this forum that they are intentionally designed to direct the bulk of the noise to the side of the trailer away from the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoors4me View Post
Our 2014 Flying Cloud was parked right next to a new one in Florida this winter. Their AC was extremely loud. I did some research and found that the new models seem to be much louder outside. A heat pump is basically an AC in reverse.

I think it's a known problem at Jackson Center. You might talk to them about it.

By the way, after we left our neighbors on the other side let us know that the same unit was too loud for THEM, even though they were two campsites away.

Neither of us knocked on their door, though. You may have had many people bothered by it, but they were too polite to say anything until now.

My suggestion is to use the furnace until you get to the bottom of the problem.
Old 06-23-2022, 06:50 AM   #55
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
My own heatpump keeps me awake, I don't use it
I don’t think we’ve ever used ours either. We tolerate the AC when we absolutely need it. Propane furnace when we don’t have a hookup, small electric heater when we are plugged in. So much quieter.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:56 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
We love colder weather and only when it's in the 44 deg weather do we even bother to bring out the small ceramic heater, turning it on usually just before dawn when it's coldest and before we arise.
There's no need for a heat pump or the noise, for us. Since all people require different things, you should use the furnace for both better results, less noise and happier neighbors.
How using either one when a $30 heater would save both electricity and propane, is beyond me.
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 03:25 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Henderson , Kentucky
Just thinking, were you hot or cold, AC or heat? If on shore power, can use a small plug-in electric heater if just need to cut the chill, or the Argosy gas heater, neither are too loud. AC not too loud either. But if weather is cool, not freezing, I open windows and no AC, use an electric fan. Many campgrounds like Mammoth Cave have quiet time at 8:00pm, so generators off at night. But hard to respond not knowing temps, but if complaints, try to accommodate, but stay reasonably comfortable, and friendly.
Old 07-10-2022, 06:28 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
When I rebuilt our ‘69 Trade Wind I removed the damaged propane system with plans to replace it and install a brand new furnace , stove , gas water heater with electric element and 3 way refrigerator . Well 2 out of 5 didn’t get installed .

So we are all electric now and heat with a small ceramic heater on low setting most of the time even when it gets down to the mid 30’s on occasion .

Last month we were Glamping above 5000 feet with warm days and cold nights , that little heater kept us cozy all night at 72* even when it got down to 39* one night .

BTW those new furnace’s that Airstream is installing sound like small rockets .

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 06:02 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Have your furnace looked at, they should be.pretty quiet. Your propane may be running rich... or someone may have replaced the original furnace fan with something "stronger"

If it is very cold, your heat pump may be icing up. Below 40° F makes a portable heater or two a better choice. (An icy toilet seat is a nasty shock!) I don't have an oil filled heater but many northern friends swear by them.